Instructor

Default Detailing a brand new Porsche?

Should I have my new Porsche detailed?
Your comments on the pros and cons will be appreciated
Old 09-23-2012 | 02:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't have it polished, the paint should already be perfect or very very close to it.

If it sat outside you may need to have it properly washed, clayed and waxed.
Old 09-28-2012 | 01:50 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Agree, just clay and sealant glazed it for the ultimate shine.

I did it last year, haven't waxed mine this year yet.

It turned out pretty good. Need to do it again

Old 09-28-2012 | 02:28 AM
JonasJ
Instructor

why not, give it to a reputable detailer, if he finds imperfections, let him fix them, and get a nice sealant, maybe even a "permanent" one (optimum opti coat 2.0) This is the very best time to get a coating like this as the paint should be close to perfect without lot of work. Make sure to tell the dealership not to touch the car, because they usually screw up the paint.
Old 09-28-2012 | 09:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

You'll probably need a bit of swirl mark removal, claybar, and some wax or sealant.

With even minute skill, you could do this yourself with a dual action polisher and a few hours.
Old 09-28-2012 | 10:54 AM
MMK110464
Instructor

Thank you all for your input.

Fortunately the dealer didn't prep the car.

I hired a reputable detailer who spent 5 hours with the car. He told me he found no swirl-marks on the paint. The car was washed, polished lightly and waxed. He also detailed the interior and the wheels.

I considered applying opti coat, but after some researching decided it was too radical a treatment for my new Porsche, mostly because the product has been available for only 3 years and the long term effects are still unknown. Also, uncertanty about how it would affect the overall shine and slickness of the paint made me decide against opti coat. Having said this, according to my research a vast majority of users are very happy with opti coat.
Old 09-28-2012 | 08:20 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Yes the sooner you seal the paint the better it looks in the long run. At this stage no polishing is needed unless you already have spider webs (swirl marks) from a wash and prep at the dealership.

What color combo is it?

Congratulations!
Old 09-28-2012 | 08:54 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

pardon my ignorance, but what is "sealing" the paint, and what products are used to do that? I have a new car arriving soon and fear that my dealer will screw something up.
Old 09-28-2012 | 09:11 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Lets make it sound good, we can charge more. To my knowledge any kind of a wax is a sealer. Most of the newer polymer waxes are 'called' paint sealers.
Old 09-28-2012 | 11:28 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

if you really care about your car's finish don't let the dealer prep it. When it was coming time to pick up my TT i told the dealer not to touch it. just remove the tape and let me have it. he thought i was nuts. I spent about 6 hours detailing it myself and it was amazing.

The next day i took it to one of the best detailing shops in the northeast (detailing dynamics). When he came out to look at my car he stopped dead in his tracks and said "who detailed that car"? I was afraid i screwed something up LOL. I told him i did it, and was there something wrong. he said no it was perfect and said he knew that there was no dealer who would prep a car as good.
Old 09-29-2012 | 02:30 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Just wash it with a good car shampoo that will strip all of the waxes and clay bar your car. Then use two layers of glaze or sealant and finish with 2 layers of wax. I use a lot of chemical guys products, but there's a lot of other good brands out there. Just don't buy off the shelf stuff at your local car store or walmart and you'll be ok. I don't like griots stuff either. It's entry level to premium products. Go with chemical guys, dodo juice, pinnacle, blackfire, adams, etc.

If your car was used and in bad shape I would take it to a detailer. I think that it's better for people to do it yourself if your car is new or in great shape.
Old 09-29-2012 | 09:53 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Yes the sooner you seal the paint the better it looks in the long run. At this stage no polishing is needed unless you already have spider webs (swirl marks) from a wash and prep at the dealership.

What color combo is it?

Congratulations!
Thank you.

It is a C4S in Platinum Silver with black interior.
Old 09-30-2012 | 10:06 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Thank you.

It is a C4S in Platinum Silver with black interior.
Okay, but if you seal the car brand new, you're "sealing" the clearcoat, right? Not the paint. I'm confused.
Old 09-30-2012 | 05:11 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

A Sealant is typically a synthetic wax (no carnuba, all synthetic) engineered to cover the already prepped (washed, clayed, polished) paint surface. Sealants typically last 6-12 months while regular wax 3-6 months. It is harder and more slippery than carnuba-based waxes.
Old 09-30-2012 | 08:10 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
A Sealant is typically a synthetic wax (no carnuba, all synthetic) engineered to cover the already prepped (washed, clayed, polished) paint surface. Sealants typically last 6-12 months while regular wax 3-6 months. It is harder and more slippery than carnuba-based waxes.
Synthetic waxes have much higher melting points than carnuba. Doesn't matter to most, but in the summer desert, carnuba doesn't hold up very well.
(Zaino & Rejex) are some high end synthetic waxes/ sealers.
For a new silver car, I'd wash it with blue Dawn to strip it, clay it, then put a couple coats of Zaino's AIO (All In One), then stay out of car washes....

Quick Reply: Detailing a brand new Porsche?