Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing a brand new Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy detailing my Porsche myself and bought a kit from my local detailer. This guy does mostly Porsche cars and has put together a clay/lubricant, polish and nano sealant kit from various companies all European. THe cost was $500 but the results are amazing. It took me 8 hours on a Sunday to complete the task but the car has a beautiful shine even after 4 months now.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I enjoy detailing my Porsche myself and bought a kit from my local detailer. This guy does mostly Porsche cars and has put together a clay/lubricant, polish and nano sealant kit from various companies all European. THe cost was $500 but the results are amazing. It took me 8 hours on a Sunday to complete the task but the car has a beautiful shine even after 4 months now.
$500 bucks? I hate to say it but you probably got ripped off. Even if I bought every one of those products from Menzerna it wouldn't come close to $500.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by hakaida702
$500 bucks? I hate to say it but you probably got ripped off. Even if I bought every one of those products from Menzerna it wouldn't come close to $500.
Maybe hes got a rotary included?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Farside
Intermediate

Have you guys ever tried Swissvax? I saw it advertised in the Porsche magazine. They have a wax apparently specifically aimed modern pcars. Very expensive ( that could easily add up to $500 for a kit). I guess based on the comments no need to drop that kind of cash to get a premium product?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought sealers were good mainly for "daily drivers." They don't produce the depth of shine of a good quality carnuba wax do they? Is it really necessary to clay bay a new car that has not been exposed to the environment? Can you advise on specific high end paint sealers for a black 997 tt and dark blue 997S? I am tired of having to clean/wax these cars every couple of months. I need a more long term solution.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Yes the kit included a German made ecentric buffer which will last for my grand children's cars, pads for polishing, waxing and very high quality micro fiber towels. The Sealant has enough for 5 applications.

I probably paid a little too much but the results were excellent.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are happy with the results then you have paid just right. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I thought sealers were good mainly for "daily drivers." They don't produce the depth of shine of a good quality carnuba wax do they? Is it really necessary to clay bay a new car that has not been exposed to the environment? Can you advise on specific high end paint sealers for a black 997 tt and dark blue 997S? I am tired of having to clean/wax these cars every couple of months. I need a more long term solution.
Use a paint sealant as a base coat if you wish. You can put carnuba on top of it if you like or want more shine or "depth".
For dark cars, I prefer Zaino's Z5. I'm sure there are others that work as well, I've settled on that.
I always clay before waxing. You may think the car is free of surface contaminants, but unless you've kept it in a vacuum, I doubt it. a good way to tell is to put your hand in a ziploc bag, then wipe over the paint. Oddly enough, you'll now feel the stuff that's stuck to the paint that washing the car did not remove.
Besides, it takes about an hour to clay a car, so why skip this important step?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

+1. Claying is a good thing and highly recommended before a wax application.

Quick Reply: Detailing a brand new Porsche?