Sponsored by:

rear tire repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear tire repair?

I have a very slow leak (about 1lb per day or less) in my right rear tire. Found what I think is the culprit. Its a smallish diameter nail in the center of the tread. I haven't pulled it. I know if I take it to my dealer, they will only replace the tire. Is there a reliable fix other than a new tire? Thanks, John
Old 09-20-2012, 02:28 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had two similar incidents, had the tire patched (from inside) and it's been no problems even tracking the tires. Dealer might advise to change tires, which is not necessary IMO. However, IF you tires are pretty old and close to needing replacement, maybe do so at this time.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
I have a very slow leak (about 1lb per day or less) in my right rear tire. Found what I think is the culprit. Its a smallish diameter nail in the center of the tread. I haven't pulled it. I know if I take it to my dealer, they will only replace the tire. Is there a reliable fix other than a new tire? Thanks, John
I've had plenty of those. As long as it's not in the shoulder you can have it patched or plugged. Patched being the preferred method but I've had it done both ways and the repaired tire held up just fine for the length of its life no matter how it was fixed.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:05 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I've also had many tires patched when the puncture goes through a tread block or the middle of the tire. Since I've bought my tires there, Discount Tire has always done this for free -- dismounting the tire, locating the puncture, patching it, remounting and rebalancing the tire. I've never had a problem with this kind of repair.

Just don't go with a shop that only wants to plug the tire.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
sokoloff
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plug my own tires, and have never had a failure of a plug (sample size of 5-ish over the last 15 years). As long as it's inside the tread shoulder, I have no issue with the plugs for a street car. Kit is $10 at your local parts store and it's brain-dead easy. 5 minutes; don't even have to take the tire off in most cases.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! On my way to Discount Tire.

Quick Reply: rear tire repair?