Dension Gateway 500S Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

There are adjustments available for mic sensitivity and speaker volume, and usually this requires trial/error to find the sweet spot. Keep at it, you'll find it, then any echo or volume issues should be taken care of.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
yodaman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone experienced installing this successfully on a 957cayenne?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
I M STIG
Cruisin'

Any recommended settings for the mic volume, etc.? People say they hear feedback and static from mine . Everything else works great, and I got mine from Bumper Plugs, too. I highly recommend buying anything from Eric!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have issues with the mike volume and the complaints of people I'm talking with. I would like to hear about mike adjustments. Currently I am adjusting volume with the phone. I am sorry I didn't buy from Eric.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

957 Cayennes - yes we have customers who have installed this - for 07 and 08. If you have PCM 3, there are other options (email me if so).

Volume/Mic
You need to select Menu, then select settings and finally volume. In the volume submenu, you can find all sources separately like iPod, USB , BT Audio etc. Select Mic volume and set a lower volume setting. Be sure the mic connections are solid and the wires are not pinched (to avoid static).

Wherever you buy your Dension be sure they will support you (many lowball resellers don't).
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Dension gateway 500s bt installed on an 07 997 with pcm 2.1 with the latest firmware updated and it is buggy as hell. I'm getting power by tapping into the head unit, I've bypassed the CD changer with a loop and have the dension as the last item on the ring.

After reseting the dension unit, everything works fine -- next time I get back in the car, either the phone or the BT streaming is not working or nothing on the head unit is working and at times my phone starts rebooting over and over and I get no sound out of the speakers, even radio.

This product doesn't seem ready for sale so let this be a warning for any potential buyers.
Has anyone had any luck addressing these kind of bugs?

I've also noticed that even after I get out of the car and am in my house, my phone may still have an active bluetooth connection to the car!

And I just had a tint job on my car done which was ****ty! Frustrated by the aftermarket car world.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Devious Rhesus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by magicjack
I have the Dension gateway 500s bt installed on an 07 997 with pcm 2.1 with the latest firmware updated and it is buggy as hell. I'm getting power by tapping into the head unit, I've bypassed the CD changer with a loop and have the dension as the last item on the ring.

After reseting the dension unit, everything works fine -- next time I get back in the car, either the phone or the BT streaming is not working or nothing on the head unit is working and at times my phone starts rebooting over and over and I get no sound out of the speakers, even radio.

This product doesn't seem ready for sale so let this be a warning for any potential buyers.

I've also noticed that even after I get out of the car and am in my house, my phone may still have an active bluetooth connection to the car!

And I just had a tint job on my car done which was ****ty! Frustrated by the aftermarket car world.
Did you get your issues straightened out? Your install seems the same as mine, with the CD fiber connectors being looped to bypass, then the Dension installed behind the PCM as the last part of the loop. If I reset the Dension it works great, but the minute I turn off the car everything stops working until the next reset. The blue LED isn't active on the Dension until the reset, so the fiber signal is just not making it through...

Assumed a power issue, but i've tried the power cable going into the radio and the one in the passenger footwell cigarette lighter.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magicjack

Mine is buggy as well. Can't switch between sources any longer. The menu path is simply gone. Support not very good - they claim what is happening is impossible and haven't been much help since. BT connectivity is haphazard as well. Sometimes it connects, other times it doesn't. Overall - better then nothing but poorly executed. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery next....haven't tried that yet.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on all the same problems. I have a copy of the older firmware that I've kept and every time they come out with a new firmware, I try it for a week and end up going back to the old one. I haven't seen any new features with the updates that I need/want so I'm staying with what works.

I've tried working with Dension many times and they still can't fix why I can't dial the phone from the radio unit. If I dial 12345 what's sent to my phone is *#612345..... I've just given up and accept that I can't dial from the PCM

This is a really strange unit and I agree it's more a science project then a plug and go unit.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I was looking to get the dension but after hearing more and more of these problems it seems like it is still a good idea to wait to see if they sort it out. Dension has been around a while so its disappointing to see they still haven't got this unit running smoothly. I really don't want to have to replace my head unit just to be able to play/stream music and have it work consistently.

I wish someone would spend time on building an interface that allows us to install a PCM 3.0 unit in cars with PCM 2.1.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devious Rhesus
Did you get your issues straightened out? Your install seems the same as mine, with the CD fiber connectors being looped to bypass, then the Dension installed behind the PCM as the last part of the loop. If I reset the Dension it works great, but the minute I turn off the car everything stops working until the next reset. The blue LED isn't active on the Dension until the reset, so the fiber signal is just not making it through...

Assumed a power issue, but i've tried the power cable going into the radio and the one in the passenger footwell cigarette lighter.

Nope -- the issues continue. Its difficult to find a rhyme or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't. It'd be a decent product if it worked consistently.

Does anyone have these problems with the 500S BT installed at the location of the factory cd changer? I have mine as the last unit in the MOST ring.

Can the unswitched power be an issue? The BT connects before I even put the key in the ignition and the headunit/radio clicks and becomes nonfunctional.

Garbage.

I'm getting closer and closer to installing a Nexus 7 tablet and ripping the headunit out!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Money Pit 951
I'm with you on all the same problems. I have a copy of the older firmware that I've kept and every time they come out with a new firmware, I try it for a week and end up going back to the old one. I haven't seen any new features with the updates that I need/want so I'm staying with what works.

I've tried working with Dension many times and they still can't fix why I can't dial the phone from the radio unit. If I dial 12345 what's sent to my phone is *#612345..... I've just given up and accept that I can't dial from the PCM

This is a really strange unit and I agree it's more a science project then a plug and go unit.
Can you tell us which firmware you've found most successful. Is there a place we can download the older firmwares or could you make it available to us?
Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi everyone, don't know if this thread is still active, wanted to ask you a couple of questions before installing my dual FOT 500S BT:

1. If I plan to install it behind the PCM unit and plan to keep my CDC in the trunk, do I need the extension cable, i.e.
FOA1PO1 FOA1PO1
? Or do I just plug the old fiber optic cable that the CDC used to connect to the PCM to the Dension kit? I don't really understand the need for the extension cable. Even so, if I need to pass a new extension cord to the CDC do I follow the old route or do I need to do any drilling?
2. What's the best place to install the microphone? I've seen most of you have brought it close to the rear view mirror. Are there any other good spots without having to tear the car apart extensively and which are not that visible, i.e. underneath the clima?

By the way, this is the best
I've found.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

These are my notes from my DIY installation.

Generally, followed Eric's advice and despite having purchased the dual FOT 500S BT and the fiber extension cords, I ended up bypassing the CDC and returning the extension cords back.

The installation took ~2-3 hours.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:44 PM
dpert1
Intermediate

I just installed mine GW52MO2 (997.1tt, PCM 2.1, CDC, Nav, Phone) via the extension cable kit from the CDC. I have two questions if anyone can provide comment.

1. Has anyone found a way to fix the error on startup with the PCM not finding the CDC?
2. My volume is real weird. When streaming BT sometimes I will get an item error, volume decreases, bass is non existant, and I cant turn it up any higher (PCM volume seems to be maxed out). When trying to adjust the volume in the Dension menu under BT my options go from -15 to +4. I have it on +4 right now but its still a lot quieter than the radio. Is there any way to get it up past +4? Does it have anything to do with that error I'm getting? Is there any way to get more bass?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500S Review