Sponsored by:

Washed, clay bar'd, polished and waxed car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hakaida702
8 hours? I must be slacking. I usually take half the time and thats with a lot of breaks while waiting for the 2 coats of sealant and wax to dry for 20 minutes for each layer.
wow, thats good going, do you have a buffer or is that by hand?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos to you guys for caring for animals.

With regard to Stella, you do know it's known as the Budweiser of Belgium, don't you?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Great job! Just went through that same process a week ago. Total time might have been around 8 hours for me too, but I spread things out over the course of two days.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fastm3
Kudos to you guys for caring for animals.

With regard to Stella, you do know it's known as the Budweiser of Belgium, don't you?
Yes, and i don't care, i like it
Its really the only beer i drink, my wife loves darker, hoppier beers. She was in heaven when we went to Prague, i just prefer a lighter beer, but with some flavor.
im also getting into some pretty good ciders as well.

cheers
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Is that Stella in the glass?
it's not a glass it's a chalise (according to their ad campaign)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
it's not a glass it's a chalise (according to their ad campaign)
Well, excuse me.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Citrus degreaser (like Dial soap) is the difference between a 30 minute claybar and a 4 hour claybar. After washing it with the stuff, you can use it as the clay lubricant. 50/50 dilution of Zep Citrus Degreaser (orange one from Home Depot) is great. The claybar will get destroyed, but I don't like re-using claybars anyways. Just use half a bar and the time saved is well worth it.

Depending on the compounds/polishes/waxes you use, make sure you let the stuff fully dry before you rub it off. Lots of time is usually wasted trying to buff out compound that smears because its still wet.

I went from 10+ hour details to 3-4 hour complete details, including down time.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
Yes, and i don't care, i like it
Its really the only beer i drink, my wife loves darker, hoppier beers. She was in heaven when we went to Prague, i just prefer a lighter beer, but with some flavor.
im also getting into some pretty good ciders as well.

cheers
I like it too. Czech beers are fine, but nothing compares to Belgian. The quality and variety of Belgian brews is amazing.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM
DYKWIA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over here in the UK Stalla Artois is commonly referred to as "wifebeater", mainly due to the type of people who drink it because it's cheap and strong. I had no idea it was so well regarded in the USA.

Obviously beer is an all-encompassing term but when it comes to 'Lager' Czech beer has to be held in the highest regard, after all they invented the stuff so they really know what they're doing. Staropramen is probably my favourite although Pilsner Urquell and Budvar are excellent as well. The Belgians make so many beers it's hard to choose a favourite, probably Chimay or De Koninck but you are unlikely to find those outside of Europe. The best mainstream Belgian beer would have to be Hoegaarden but if you ever get the chance, try some original Bush Beer, at 12% it is the strongest beer in Belgium, but you wouldn't know it to taste it. If you ever do find yourself in a bar in Belgium, whatever you do, don't ask for a Stella, that's like asking for a pint of Fosters in Australia!

Last edited by DYKWIA; 09-20-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Over here in the UK Stalla Artois is commonly referred to as "wifebeater", mainly due to the type of people who drink it because it's cheap and strong. I had no idea it was so well regarded in the USA.

Obviously beer is an all-encompassing term but when it comes to 'Lager' Czech beer has to be held in the highest regard, after all they invented the stuff so they really know what they're doing. Staropramen is probably my favourite although Pilsner Urquell and Budvar are excellent as well. The Belgians make so many beers it's hard to choose a favourite, probably Chimay or De Koninck but you are unlikely to find those outside of Europe. The best mainstream Belgian beer would have to be Hoegaarden but if you ever get the chance, try some original Bush Beer, at 12% it is the strongest beer in Belgium, but you wouldn't know it to taste it. If you ever do find yourself in a bar in Belgium, whatever you do, don't ask for a Stella, that's like asking for a pint of Fosters in Australia!
It's marketing. Just like how some people think heineken is a premium beer. Bleh. I'll stick to great craft beers from my region.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 AM
DYKWIA
AutoX

I spend quite a bit of time in Austin TX for work, I'm there probably 3-4 times a year and I always head down to the Ginger Man bar to try some local brews. Clearly there is some excellent stuff coming out of small and micro breweries in the USA right now.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
DYKWIA
AutoX

Car looks great by the way Limey, do you have any other photos?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I use this new pad thing. I forget the exact name of it. It does the same thing as claying but instead of taking an hour claying the whole car you can do it in less than 10 minutes. You do have to prime it on the glass before using it. After you do that once, the pad is ready to go and all you do is hose it off. It's gotten mixed reviews online, but its worked great for me. The paint feels so smooth after using it. I just need to learn how to use the buffer better for paint correction.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hakaida702
It's marketing. Just like how some people think heineken is a premium beer. Bleh. I'll stick to great craft beers from my region.
Not really, its simple, i like it so i drink it....im sure you are way above being influenced by any marketing with your regional craft beers....good for you!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Car looks great by the way Limey, do you have any other photos?
Thanks a lot, here are a couple more:

Last edited by limey940; 05-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Washed, clay bar'd, polished and waxed car