TPMS and other trivial stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts
Default TPMS and other trivial stuff?

Hi all,
recently purchased a 2006 Carrera S, 40K miles and have been enjoying learning about it from the forum, driving and doing some hands on maintenance. Not my first P car sooo, dove right in! I recently did the front brakes with new rotors pads, clips and pins. I'm awaiting parts to complete the rears, a new set of 4 Michelin PS-2's a new cowling in front of the windscreen (it was beginning to fade a bit). replaced the thresholds on both passenger and pilot side (people dragging their feet upon entering) new shift boot and ****, ordered a new steering wheel, new handbrake (the originals all looked "greasy" even after a thorough cleaning), new radio ***** installed, sandblasted and powdercoated the locking wheel bolts, replaced the rusty lug bolts with new, new floor mats and an oil service with Motul. Pressure washed the underneath and wheel wells and gave her a thorough bath and vac. I'm pretty psyched about this car and look forward to further driving and hands on. I have a single wheel that shows curb rash. I dropped it off today at a wheel repair shop recommended by the local P dealer. Upon breaking the wheel down I noticed it didn't have the TPMS sensor? I thought it odd that a car with no factory spare not have TPMS? Is this pretty normal? I've got the service history for the car and the original window sticker and don't see it anywhere? $91K new and no TPMS, hmmmm?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

The TPMS was an option in 2006.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, TPMS was an option in 2006. If you check your tire pressure regularly, not having TPMS is less of an issue. The real value is when getting a puncture while driving and TPMS will give a warning before you go completely flat.

Guys correct me if I am wrong but I believe the car is already set up with TPMS receiver and by adding 4 sensors you will have this capability. Perhaps ask your Dealer to confirm.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I doubt a car without TPMS has the receivers. Thats the expensive part of the option - 4 receivers in the wheel wells plus all the wiring and electronics to get the readings on the on board computer display.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The units in each tire are senders, the receiver in the car gets the PSI reading from the senders in each wheel wirelessly.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i've seen posted on here before that the steering (wheel column) is not pre-wired for cars without the multi-function wheel option, nor are there pre-wire harnesses for power seats in cars without power seat option. thus, i doubt TPMS is pre-wired if not incl in the original options. BUUUUUUT, i could be wrong so maybe you'll find otherwise. easiest way to find out is borrow someone's wheels and get a durametric to turn on that function (which i think the dura pro can do).
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Alot of the things you are replacing can be restored or fixed, all the parts are expensive so why not save a little money when possible.
But that being said, Congradulations for having the ambition to try to get the car in perfect condition and make it better than the average guy would be satisfied with. Dont give up till you have it right and keep it shiny.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
The units in each tire are senders, the receiver in the car gets the PSI reading from the senders in each wheel wirelessly.
Correct...the TPMS system is more than just the tire-mounted senors. There are also four wheel well wireless transmitters that also act as receivers (to get the info from the tire sensors) and these transmitters have to have power and antennas - lots of parts to have installed for an optional system in 06. Given Porsche's profit culture, I doubt these parts are in cars without the TPMS option.

Quick Reply: TPMS and other trivial stuff?