Sponsored by:

TPM warning light won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default TPM warning light won't turn off

Put some new rubber on the 997 a few weeks ago. Ever since, the TPM warning and red exclamation point warning won't leave my field of view.

Most of the time, there is no TPM numbers. The other half the time, only the right side tires are sending numbers but -- on the left.

I think I just need to "reset" everything and have tried so on the stalk with info, etc.
But it just won't turn off or give me tire pressure numbers.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the problem started after new tires were installed , I would suggest that a sensor in one or more of the wheels was damaged. It also could just be the batteries are dead. (they only last about 5 years). When the TPM system cannot get a reading from one or more tires it tries for about 10 minutes of driving time then gives up and displays a "TPC Inactive" message with all four wheels showing dashes even though there may only be a problem with one wheel (in my case a dead sensor battery). A Porsche dealer can check if the sensors are working and how much battery life is remaining.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John52
...displays a "TPC Inactive" message with all four wheels showing dashes even though there may only be a problem with one wheel (in my case a dead sensor battery).
i would think that only one wheel would not read. but hey, i dont doubt that it works this way esp given other, seemingly unrelated yet somehow connected, problems i've seen with these damn german cars. (search on MAF related issues if you want to get really confused!)

FWIW, mine are still going strong on my '06 and that includes 50+ track days.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM
John52
Instructor

The way mine treated a non-functioning sensor was as follows: At start-up a display of the pressures would show the "bad tire" as dashes and the other 3 with the correct pressure. However, after driving for a while (10 minutes) I assume the TPMS module decides that it is not going to get a valid reading from one of the sensors so it pops up the error message "TPS Inactive" and then essentially shuts down any further monitoring and shows all 4 wheels as dashes.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

I put new wheels on and its stuck on TPMS learning.
actually, now i think about it this started before i put the new wheels on.
Guess i need a trip to the dealer....

Quick Reply: TPM warning light won't turn off