Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sradick
So it sounds like CPO is more important for a first-time buyer than AWD then? I'm not entirely sold that this is a "smart" idea either, but I figured if we could easily go sans car and rent a car occasionally when needed, we could go with a somewhat impractical car just the same.
I have owned 3 used Porsches all certified and have never had an issue. Also when resale time comes along it adds significant value + buyer confidence. I think you can still find a good car that isn't certified, but I would not feel comfortable buying it sight unseen. Defiantly try making a search on Porsche's website for certified cars, shipping isn't usually too bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As great as Porsche cars are they have their limitations.

The 911 is a true sports car and perfect for those who love to drive. It is a car that demands attention while you are piloting it with super sharp steering, firm suspension, responsive throttle, etc. all hallmarks of a true sports car.

As to the other side, 911's are not the most comfortable, quiet and accomodating cars. You can certainly fit a lot more stuff in them than one can think, but this requires placing items in unusual places instread of a conventional placement in your C300 trunk.

It seems like you already have the desire to get a Cabriolet and I think you should go for it. There must be an exotic car rental place in your area, I higly recommend you rent one for a weekend and see if this is the car for you. Only you can decide.

Good luck with your search and with good resale value of the 911, you won't lose a lot should you change your mind in a few months.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by sradick
@rodsky @zanwar - I've got a c300 now and don't see any reason why we can't fit the same stuff in a 911 as we do for trips now. For long trips, it would just be lugging clothes - we've got a pack-and-play, separate car seat, high chair, etc. already back at the grandparents' place where we'd be traveling to. For any other trip, the only other thing we'd take is the pack-and-play and that thing folds up and could be put in the back seat.
fair enough. I think you will tire of this. Practically speaking I could never imagine our only family car being a 911. No way to do Home Depot, Costco etc. When we had our first kid, we could barely fit all the stuff in an SUV . We are smarter now. But you will have to go to places other than your folks where you need to take stuff.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

I've owned a 911 as my DD for 5 years now. My wife has a 528i but I much prefer to drive mine. I've hauled tanks of propane, 2 large plants, 4 bags of groceries, 4 adults etc... And drive it all year around with no snow tires on my 8 minute drive to work. I do my longer runs early in the am on the weekends. I just park it during severe weather. No need to take chances on some yahoo sliding into you. These are great car but I agree with many of the opinions here - it's a fast, tight, lumpy (now where near as bad as early 911’s) fun to drive sports car. Long trips? It depends on the roads. I find it more comfortable that the 528i.
I just moved up a couple of years and into a 4 wheel drive and a cab. There's not been a day I've driven it without the top down. I love it. And I just drove back from Seattle yesterday with none of the tiredness that I usually experience in a coupe. Razor sharp steering. Planted. Fantastic.
I would look at what you take to PA and see if those items will fit. There's no real room for a high chair, except on top, but maybe your parents have one. But the frunk holds a ton. Smaller frunk in the 4-wheel drive.
I think your next step is to go and drive one and see it it intoxicates you like the rest of us here.
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

5 male adults in the 997 coupe car? i want a picture of that, if each man weights 190+ lbs.

for long trips i love this car, drove it to WGI - it is 7 hours drive, this car fits like a glove over your body when you get used to it but it is not a family sedan and does not and cannot substitute one.
it is a personal car. i drive my kid to school in mine sometimes, sometimes take wife for a run, they all prefer to take lexus or even wife`s accord for any trips we have to go to as a family.

my youngest is 2.5 yr old now, i tried to seat her behind driver seat as my 6yr old son refused to sit there in the limited space - she did not want it at all. so, it may have challenges as a family car, be ready for that.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
5 male adults in the 997 coupe car? i want a picture of that, if each man weights 190+ lbs.

for long trips i love this car, drove it to WGI - it is 7 hours drive, this car fits like a glove over your body when you get used to it but it is not a family sedan and does not and cannot substitute one.
it is a personal car. i drive my kid to school in mine sometimes, sometimes take wife for a run, they all prefer to take lexus or even wife`s accord for any trips we have to go to as a family.

my youngest is 2.5 yr old now, i tried to seat her behind driver seat as my 6yr old son refused to sit there in the limited space - she did not want it at all. so, it may have challenges as a family car, be ready for that.
Corrected! 4 grown males...
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM
ttiptonky
Track Day

While we don't use it as a daily driver, my 4 and 6 year old love riding in the "race car". Since this isn't a daily driver for you either and you appear open to renting a vehicle if conditions require it, I think what you are doing makes a ton of sense. What is more impressive is that your wife seems to be on board with the idea. . . I don't have that much pull at home.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

911 is a great workhorse, great for a family to enjoy. I've used mine to move about 4 miltary size duffels and a whole host of items up to DC and still had room for a passenger. In DC it's my daily driver/commuter and grocery getter. Couldn't ask for a better grocery getter.

I'd say C4 Coupe would be a great winter car too. Pricing of these 997.1's seem to be in the rise (after that 09 flash crash anyway). Great choice, solid rugged sports car. Happy hunting.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM
sradick
7th Gear

Thank you all so much for your opinions here - the conversations you read here are the same ones that I'm having in my head. Some days, I think I'm crazy for thinking this will work and others, I'm like, "of course it will work!" I told my wife last night that I'm going to go by the "if I find the exact car I want in our budget, then we're going to go for it." But if not, I told her we'd get her SUV instead and look at the 911 as a second car down the road. She liked that approach

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first 911