997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare wheel for track day - which?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 07:33 AM
Gary
Instructor

Default Spare wheel for track day - which?

Folks,

Off on a track day on Saturday and am thinking of taking a few "emergency" bits since I have to drive home 120 miles in the same car at the end of the day One thing I'd like to take is a spare wheel in case of puncture/schredding or whatever ...

Car is a 997-1 Carerra with the standard 18" wheels. I actually have 2 sets the same, one with winter tires on, the other with summers. It's one of the winter set I'd like to take the emergency ...

Question - do I really need to take one front and one rear or can I take one of these to use at either end? It would be "get-me-home" only so I'm not concerned with looks, only the fitting / appropriate offset / clearance etc. If one wheel, which one?

Thanks,

Gary.
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:45 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

For "get me home" you want a winter front. The front will fit in the rear in emergencies.

I think you'll probably find that there is a tire fitter right at the track as well if it is a bona fide track. So if you shred a tire you can probably take care of it onsite. Ask your trackday coordinator. They also often have a trailer with someone selling fluids etc.
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:53 AM
Gary
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997_rich
For "get me home" you want a winter front. The front will fit in the rear in emergencies.

I think you'll probably find that there is a tire fitter right at the track as well if it is a bona fide track. So if you shred a tire you can probably take care of it onsite. Ask your trackday coordinator. They also often have a trailer with someone selling fluids etc.
Thanks Rich, that's great. It is a bona fide track (La Bresse in France) but a small one and it's not a dedicated Porsche day so I'd rather be prepared than be at the mercy of anyone who would likely take commercial advantage of any issues at a track in the middle of nowhere. Even this would assume they exist there, have the right size tire, and a matching brand. Too many ifs / risks...

Since it's only me going down there, I've got the space at least

Gary.

Quick Reply: Spare wheel for track day - which?