Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
frappold
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer always supplies a Porsche as a loaner, usually a Cayenne.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:03 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A paint meter will immediately tell if a bumper has been repainted due to the varying thickness of paint. All dealers have paint meters, as it only takes a few minutes to go around a car and check for repairs.
It may not show up on a Carfax, if dealer does not report it, and even if it did, I wouldn't think it would have a huge impact on the cars value, as long as it was repaired correctly and the paint matches.
Porsche North Scottsdale now has Panamera's as loaners, but I have yet to get one. I have a lengthy service coming up in October and hope I get one!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm a big fan of having things put in writing. In this case, have th dealership put something in writing that they attest to the cause of the accident and have them commit to giving you wholesale value at trade in time equivalent to an unwrecked, unmolested vehicle.
+100, this way they future buyer also knows it wasn't a violent hit that potentially caused structural damage as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint meters only work on metal parts, right?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

Yep. Don't worry about it. It's a high wear area, chips etc... So it's common to repaint with no effect on value. Obviously, make sure they match the color. Good that they are being honest about it. I took my car in one time and I swear the small curved dent (that matches perfectly to another 997 door) that was there when I picked it up was not there when I dropped it off. They could have given me the benefit of the doubt and had their dent guy fix it for free but they didn't. It some what tainted the 'dealer experience'.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewinla
Agreed. It won't work on a bumper.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewinla
No. DeFelsko makes an ultrasonic unit. Perhaps others, too, but they're one I know.
Used to be only steel or ferrous material, then they figured out aluminum, and now they do plastic.
They can even tell you the thickness of individual layers (primer, clear, color, etc.)
Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
No. DeFelsko makes an ultrasonic unit. Perhaps others, too, but they're one I know.
Used to be only steel or ferrous material, then they figured out aluminum, and now they do plastic.
They can even tell you the thickness of individual layers (primer, clear, color, etc.)
This,
the metal and plastic meters run about twice of the just metal ones (4-500 bucks), most guys that do wholesale have them on hand.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
frappold
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Postscript

Got my car back yesterday, fully detailed, and it looks fantastic! Can not remotely tell anything was done. Porsche of the Main Line is a stand up operation! Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by frappold
Got my car back yesterday, fully detailed, and it looks fantastic! Can not remotely tell anything was done. Porsche of the Main Line is a stand up operation! Thanks
Nice! Bumper should not be an issue. If its done professionally and color matched, you should have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: A good one!