Sun visor covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Leggy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun visor covers

Just a quick question regarding the sun visor in my 997.2

I had the misfortune to see the passenger visor mounting cover get broken by a heavy handed friend of mine, opening my seat into the visor with enough force to break the tabs off the small black plastic cover plate.

Seems a dumb design for the seat to hit but as they are sports seats I am thinking they must be taller.

Does anyone know the best place to buy just the small plastic cover plates.

I will start with 2 sided tape tomorrow , but wanted to fix properly.

Thanks in advance.

Leggy
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to mine (no heavy-handed person, the one on my side merely fell in my lap one day). AFAIK the cover plates are not available separately, they're sold as a unit. My take is that the covers are set in whilst the assembly is in parts and the frame is flexible. Once assembled, there is no way to flex the cover plate so it fits on the studs. Suncoast Parts has them for half the dealer cost. If you know how to cut, strip and splice a wire, you can ignore their caveat to seek professional installation. And if you can do without the light, they also sell the non-lighted Boxter version for $20. If you examine the driver side carefully you might notice cracks developing there also and want to change them both. The ones Suncoast sells are the Euro versions sans the airbag warning sticker necessitated by America's obsession for litigation and the fact we continue stupidly to elect lawyers to office.

That said, I did repair mine. I was able to find the broken piece, and whilst holding the flap in place, re-attached it perfectly with superglue. I then used a Dreml with a small round bit to cut a channel in the plastic at a right-angle to the fracture line, and fill it with JB-Weld. It is holding nicely. It cost me far more in my time than had I simply replaced them, but on principle I opted not to reward Porsche with a profit for using **** materials in a $100K motor.

Quick Reply: Sun visor covers