Sponsored by:

Recommendations on ride height - 997.1 with Bils Coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on ride height - 997.1 with Bils Coil overs

Hello, once again soliciting information on ride height on a 997.1 with Bils Coils Over conversion.

I am expecting the Bils B14's to arrive on Wednesday I am am making the switch on Thursday. The Porsche dealer I purchased the car from will be doing the work at basically no charge.

I want the car lowered as one of the reasons for getting the kit, besides of course the better handling.

Does the height is automatically lowered here at the highest setting or should I be looking for a specific number? Replacing the springs alone with H&R would have lowered about 25mm ft's and 30mm rear.

And I promise, I will have photos of before and after.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is looking 997 pics with different ride heights, commons one are Euro spec ( which is around 15mm lower I think), Eibach springs ~1", H&R springs 1.2, etc. It's really a preference thing, quite a few like Eibach because it isn't too aggressive and easier to drive without scrapping. I have H&R and and really happy with them
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is how much and to what extent you want to beat the undercarriage of the car against the pavement. A stock 997S with the PASM suspension has ground clearance issues and will touch down on driveways, ramps and roadway transitions that can't be avoided. Lowered cars are worse. My 997S is lowered about 1/2 inch and I have had to get it repaired 3 times for clearance related damage in 2 years. A broken brake cooling duct, detached inner fender liner and blocked cooling fan so far. Regardless of all the helpful advice on the forums abouy how to avoid it, you will ground the car from time to time and may need repairs.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Same question - what is the euro spec ride height?

And yes, going too low is a real pita for scraping the front
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

How wide are your rear tires? Do you have aftermarket wheels. You might have to roll the rear fenders to keep your tires from rubbing. The fun part of coilovers is getting everything just right. Have you thought about dogbones in the rear to fix your alignment issues?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by red996
How wide are your rear tires? Do you have aftermarket wheels. You might have to roll the rear fenders to keep your tires from rubbing. The fun part of coilovers is getting everything just right. Have you thought about dogbones in the rear to fix your alignment issues?
Standard 18 inch285 rears. No issues epithet rubbing, the car was on pss9s when I got it and have not been over impressed with them so far. Been playing around withheightsbut was looking for what others are running as a reference. Not a track car, been there done that with forest rally cars, just want it to drive and ride well as my summer car

Quick Reply: Recommendations on ride height - 997.1 with Bils Coil overs