Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

John
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Bad visability from the larger C Pillar, Tighter, less roomy interior because of bigger console and tunnel , Good Bermeister sould system, about same engine and trans/PDK
No, you're wrong about the interior and the console. Try it, you'll see - there's more room than ever. I thought the new console would kill my right knee, but I was ok (mind you, it was a half hour test drive). I'm 6'4", and there is MORE room in the 991 than the 997.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
No, you're wrong about the interior and the console. Try it, you'll see - there's more room than ever. I thought the new console would kill my right knee, but I was ok (mind you, it was a half hour test drive). I'm 6'4", and there is MORE room in the 991 than the 997.
The issue isn't the width of the 991's console, it's the height. It was clearly designed with the expectation that the vast majority would opt for an automatic gearbox. The positioning of the manual lever forces rather a higher arm position than in the previous models. Whether or not one finds it uncomfortable is down to the physical makeup of the driver.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I had a new 991 pass me yesterday while I was jogging down the road. It looked big and sounded big (must have had the PSE). I have been kicking around the idea of ordering a new one 7spd with the Powerkit, but yipe, at 3X the price of mine...My car next to a new one at the local dlr.
J
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

^ Wow...it is a little bigger and noticeable side by side.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't presently own a 997, but I bought a new one in 09' and used it as a DD for a little over a year. I thought it was a fabulous car. I had one objection to it and that was the level of road noise (mine was a 2S Cab). I tried driving other cabs with different tires but I thought they were all too loud. The 991 is much, much quieter. I think the car is prettier from forward views, but not rearward. When the 991 is sitting in my garage next to my 993tt, it looks downright clumsy. This is my DD and I am sure I will never approach its handling limits, anymore than I did with my 997, so for me the superior dynamics of the 991 are somewhat moot. I find the car much more comfortable, the interior is a notch or two higher class. The doors alone should win a prize, with their aluminum skin, solid sounding thunk on closing and an exquisite interior panel. I liked the espresso interior in the 997 more than the 991's Carrera red, but I have to say that is the only thing I miss about my 997. The newer cars do cost a bunch more. Some of that is the price of progress and some the fact that the economy isn't in as scary a place as in May of 09' when I bought the 997.

Certainly, no one should be unhappy with a 997, but when it is time for your next Porsche
The 991 won't disappoint.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
The issue isn't the width of the 991's console, it's the height. It was clearly designed with the expectation that the vast majority would opt for an automatic gearbox. The positioning of the manual lever forces rather a higher arm position than in the previous models. Whether or not one finds it uncomfortable is down to the physical makeup of the driver.
Yes, would have to agree with that...my arms are long so it didn't seem much of a reach for me - but then again, I was only driving it for 1/2 an hour.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
^ Wow...it is a little bigger and noticeable side by side.
I'll see if I can post some more. I couldn't get it to load before...
Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Tried to download one from the back but couldn't get it to go.
J
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Started a new thread with a few sise by side. Something looks a little more 'chiseled' with the 997
Jim
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You would probably have disapproved of my '73 Lotus Europa Special. Very low seat with a reach up to the gearshift in the console, and Colin Chapman had no intention of offering an automatic, so that had zero impact on the design. Even more relevant, the Carrera GT, after which Porsche itself says the 991 interior console was patterned and which also never offered an autobox, has a similar layout. Compare the two pics and note that in both cases the gearshift is positioned near to the horizontal centerline of the wheel for ease in moving your hand quickly between the two.

No argument as to whether this configuration might not be ideal for some body types, but IMO, designing for "the vast majority (who) would opt for an automatic gearbox" was not the priority.
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You would probably have disapproved of my '73 Lotus Europa Special. Very low seat with a reach up to the gearshift in the console, and Colin Chapman had no intention of offering an automatic, so that had zero impact on the design. Even more relevant, the Carrera GT, after which Porsche itself says the 991 interior console was patterned and which also never offered an autobox, has a similar layout. Compare the two pics and note that in both cases the gearshift is positioned near to the horizontal centerline of the wheel for ease in moving your hand quickly between the two.

No argument as to whether this configuration might not be ideal for some body types, but IMO, designing for "the vast majority (who) would opt for an automatic gearbox" was not the priority.
I suppose my superior education in human anatomy, physiology and neurology gives me an unfair advantage over you in this. If you will note, whilst the Lotus gear lever is tall, there is no console to avoid with one's elbow, thus whilst the hand position is high, the rest of the arm is free to find a comfortable position, or to change positions freely. Note then the GT, which whilst it does have a console, said console is swept down steeply, again allowing unfettered arm position whilst the lever itself is high. In the 991, the console is only slightly steeped, and rather wide and boxy. Although it does not actively interfere with arm/elbow position, it does trigger a subliminal avoidance response in the brain which acts as an external parameter to arm position.

Thus if it was not specifically designed to foster the choice of the automatic gearbox,, the ergonomics of using a proper manual were certainly ignored.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I suppose my superior education in human anatomy, physiology and neurology gives me an unfair advantage over you in this. If you will note, whilst the Lotus gear lever is tall, there is no console to avoid with one's elbow, thus whilst the hand position is high, the rest of the arm is free to find a comfortable position, or to change positions freely. Note then the GT, which whilst it does have a console, said console is swept down steeply, again allowing unfettered arm position whilst the lever itself is high. In the 991, the console is only slightly steeped, and rather wide and boxy. Although it does not actively interfere with arm/elbow position, it does trigger a subliminal avoidance response in the brain which acts as an external parameter to arm position.

Thus if it was not specifically designed to foster the choice of the automatic gearbox,, the ergonomics of using a proper manual were certainly ignored.
Your education in the area of anantomy may or may not be "superior" but your knowledge of the Lotus Europa is apparently somewhat lacking. In fact, contrary to your statement, and as I pointed out initially, the Lotus has a prominent center console that is much taller than the one in the 991 and extends all the way to the rear bulkhead. (Maybe you can visualize it better from the photo below. In reality, the center "console" in the Lotus is molded around the steel backbone of the fiberglass chassis.) Regardless, I'm certain Chapman knew how to lay out a driver's car and in the 7 years I owned and raced my Europa I found the gearshift position to be perfect.

By comparison, the console in the 991 is a lot less intrusive. Whatever you may think of it esthetically, looking at the 991 interior picture it's hard to imagine the console interfering with anyone's freedom of movement reaching for the gearshift. I can't speak to the "subliminal avoidance responses" that are being triggered in your brain when you see it. That's a good one, PB.

Here's to Colin Chapman, Porsche, and the ergonomics of proper manuals......
Attached Images   

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put Mike.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Well put Palm....

Quick Reply: Your impression of 991