Sponsored by:

Full Leather Sun Visors - DIY/MOD

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
LOL, there are a lot of folks who would think that off you for just pulling up in a Porsche, a Carrera, and a Convertible no less... But why would you care if it makes you happy. Let's not try to convince each other that we're poor and bought a p-car because we couldn't afford anything else. A 400hp Mustang would be far less than a Carrera but it just wouldn't do for those of us who now want the best in life... like a pair of leather sun visors to complete our Carrera. But to each his own...
To each their own, at the end of the day it's what floats your boat...totally agree USMC

(Btw got my car back today and getting ready to post extensively on the appropriate OP forum topic, thanks for your input there as well)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
USMC_DS1... happy to help. Looks much, much better than the stock vinyl units.

Edgy01... That interior is phenomenal, but it's screaming for a leather covered rear view mirror.
I felt that I could be waiting a very long time awaiting a self-dimming mirror in natural brown leather if it ever failed! Thus, it was struck from the list!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:37 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
Don't get me wrong... I appreciate nice, tasteful things more than the average person- and I am fortunate enough to have lots of them. That being said..... This thread was sounding a bit pretentious to my ears.
Well hate to break the news to you but you're on a Porsche forum now and Porsche parts are expensive especially factory leather parts. So if another forum member want to spend $1,200 for the leather visors, $2,900 for the leather center console, heck $10K to retrofit their interior to full leather... then more power to them if they have the funds to do so. The only thing we'd hold against them is if they don't post/share pics of what they did so we can all enjoy the mods along with them.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whilst driving, the cover flap on the driver's-side vanity mirror fell into my lap. Note that I have never used the vanity mirror even once, so I assume the failure was the result of the same cheap cost-cutting endeavour responsible for the peeling interior paint and fragile leather finish, combined seven years of Florida heat.

The flap has a hole at either end which fits over a short post on the frame, serving as sort of a hinge, and that piece (on the flap) had broken off. The dealership quoted me $130 plus labour, and so after I'd hung up and had finished laughing, I found the broken piece on the carpet and repaired it myself, at the same time reinforcing the crack at the opposite end, and removing the obnoxious goverment mandated sticker. Then I observed cracks in the passenger side as well and repaired them.

Cyanoacrylate does adhere, but is not strong enough to hold. It was necessary to first re-attach the broken piece with the glue, then cut a channel perpendicular to the break, and fill it with JB Weld. One must be careful to stay within the confines of the original plastic, else the flap will bind and not close. It is also most advisable to do this prophyllactically rather than wait for the flap to break off, as it is exceedingly difficult to re-attach without re-fracturing the repair. I ended up doing just that, and having to re-repair it in-situ. Porsche does not sell the flap itself as a separate part, ostensibly for just that reason. I suspect it's pre-assembled whilst the frame can be flexed.

I discovered afterward that Suncoast sells the assembly for half the price quoted by the dealer (or $20 if you want the non-lighted Boxter version). If my break again, I will go that route. Their website recommends professional installation, but the frame comes out easily, and it would be a simple matter to snip and splice the 2 wires.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM
hakaida702
Racer

I probably wouldn't go this far with adding leather. Just the dash, pcm, and pdk surround. But I enjoy looking at everyone's leather pics and I am surprised on how much some people have. I think these cars should've came with at least a little more leather given the price.

Last edited by hakaida702; 08-31-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Yesssssss.....the Palm is back.

Glad you didn't succumb to the peer pressure.

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Whilst driving, the cover flap on the driver's-side vanity mirror fell into my lap. Note that I have never used the vanity mirror even once, so I assume the failure was the result of the same cheap cost-cutting endeavor responsible for the peeling interior paint and fragile leather finish, combined seven years of Florida heat.

The flap has a hole at either end which fits over a short post on the frame, serving as sort of a hinge, and that piece (on the flap) had broken off. The dealership quoted me $130 plus labor, and so after I'd hung up and had finished laughing, I found the broken piece on the carpet and repaired it myself, at the same time reinforcing the crack at the opposite end, and removing the obnoxious government mandated sticker. Then I observed cracks in the passenger side as well and repaired them.

Cyanoacrylate does adhere, but is not strong enough to hold. It was necessary to first re-attach the broken piece with the glue, then cut a channel perpendicular to the break, and fill it with JB Weld. One must be careful to stay within the confines of the original plastic, else the flap will bind and not close. It is also most advisable to do this prophyllactically rather than wait for the flap to break off, as it is exceedingly difficult to re-attach without re-fracturing the repair. I ended up doing just that, and having to re-repair it in-situ. Porsche does not sell the flap itself as a separate part, ostensibly for just that reason. I suspect it's pre-assembled whilst the frame can be flexed.

I discovered afterward that Suncoast sells the assembly for half the price quoted by the dealer (or $20 if you want the non-lighted Boxter version). If my break again, I will go that route. Their website recommends professional installation, but the frame comes out easily, and it would be a simple matter to snip and splice the 2 wires.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Yesssssss.....the Palm is back.

Glad you didn't succumb to the peer pressure.
Anyone who would pressure me to succumb would most certainly not be a peer.

Actually I've been on holiday the last three weeks.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

A few on this forum, I won't mention any names, thought you got kicked off the forum. Some groups of people believe they can pressure and minipulate others through lies and deception.

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Anyone who would pressure me to succumb would most certainly not be a peer.

Actually I've been on holiday the last three weeks.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Thanks for the helpful post USMC! I recently traded out my GT2 seats for A.S.S. seats from a GT3 with alcantara in the middle so I figured I would get some other alcantara bits for my car to match and the vinyl sunvisors seemed like a good place to start. I found a place called Overland Designs (no affiliation) that will cover my visors in black (anthracite) alcantara for $225 for the pair. Your post was very helpful to get the visors removed to send out.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretentious? Nah, that's only if you have a wind blocker. Not if you have $1200 leather visors or $5000 leather consoles

Krugerrand??
Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the note Cbst09 and great to see that the posting is of help. That's a great price for those alcantara visors. I ended up securing my OEM leather visors from another RLer for ~$400. Would be great to see some pics of them installed.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM
pmt
Advanced

Default sun visors sideways for Targa?

I would like to replace the stock sun visors (driver and passenger) on my 997.1 Targa with the swiveling type, like in the other Carreras. The stock sun visors are fixed to only move up or down, not sideways, in the Targa. Any reason why it cannot be done, or info why it should not be done?
Old 03-25-2016, 04:59 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by pmt
I would like to replace the stock sun visors (driver and passenger) on my 997.1 Targa with the swiveling type, like in the other Carreras. The stock sun visors are fixed to only move up or down, not sideways, in the Targa. Any reason why it cannot be done, or info why it should not be done?
well, seems this Q has been overlooked, until now, i too would like to know whats up with that...?
Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM
bertsboat
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone ever see a map light in the passenger side? This is a 987.2 Spyder.

Quick Reply: Full Leather Sun Visors - DIY/MOD