Sponsored by:

exhaust problem 2009 base carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM
chrispeart
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust problem 2009 base carrera

Car in the shop. 2009 base carrera all of the sudden sounds like a boy racer. Exhaust very loud like there is no "muffling" going on at all. Any ideas? accell seemed fine, oil pressure fine, temp normal. Any ideas? Will update once dealer give diagnosis
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispeart
Car in the shop. 2009 base carrera all of the sudden sounds like a boy racer. Exhaust very loud like there is no "muffling" going on at all. Any ideas? accell seemed fine, oil pressure fine, temp normal. Any ideas? Will update once dealer give diagnosis
Absent a CEL or engine misbehavior I'd hazard a guess an exhaust leak, probably after the 2nd converter or converters and before the muffler or mufflers.

I'd further hazard a guess -- if my above guess is right -- the tech will diagnosis this as you drive the car in to the service area.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yap, I concur with Macster. If you drive the car for short distances this is a likely cause, not enough driving time to evaporate the moisture in the exhaust system. Otherwise a rock could have punched hole in your pipes.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Just to cover my err you know what, that is to clarify my previous post on this, I'm going by your use of exhaust.

Noises from the exhaust is one thing.

You really have to be sure of the location of the source of the noise. Driving a car with a minor exhaust leak -- minor in that CEL is off and the engine is not acting up -- is one thing. Driving a car with a noisy water pump (for instance) is something else.

Also, to be safe you should contact the dealer and the service manager and ask his or her opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 PM
chrispeart
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE

Car back from dealer. Report that the exhaust "bracket/bolts?" came loose--they replaced it and car sounds normal again. I was able to see the new brackets and bolts just underneath the car where they come into the middle portion of the engine??. There are 2 of theses on each side which attach the exhaust it appears. Dealer reports they have never seen this happen before. Also got the new dealer recall clutch? thing done. BTW these cars sound VERY loud without the exhaust. Was fun driving a race car for 2 hours... Thanks all for your input!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car back from dealer. Report that the exhaust "bracket/bolts?" came loose--they replaced it and car sounds normal again. I was able to see the new brackets and bolts just underneath the car where they come into the middle portion of the engine??. There are 2 of theses on each side which attach the exhaust it appears. Dealer reports they have never seen this happen before. Also got the new dealer recall clutch? thing done. BTW these cars sound VERY loud without the exhaust. Was fun driving a race car for 2 hours... Thanks all for your input!
Sounds like your flange bolts came loose where the center silencer input bolts to the cat outputs.
That's odd, as the bolts don't even have lock washers, as after a couple of heat cycles they don't loosen up. They're some of the more difficult bolts to remove, as they're usually stuck pretty good.
IIRC, 2 of the flange bolts also attach the bracket that holds the front of the side mufflers.
Good to hear you're fixed up, though.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

what do you mean dealer recall clutch?

Quick Reply: exhaust problem 2009 base carrera