Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires? 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I took a chance on the Hankooks - can't get over that name - after many years and iterations of top shelf Michelins and Bridgestones. I noticed slower turn-in, better ride, and am getting good wear and acceptably low noise as the tires age. B-Line is not making a mistake in my opinion, but only he can make that determination after trying a set of 'Kooks. $800 mounted and balanced btw.

Having said that, I will probably try the PSS next...I love tires!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-Line
I made the decision after I posted the thread.

Makes sense now, don't it
No, actually it doesn't. You made the decision after one reply and it wasn't even what was suggested. To each his own...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe visit the turbo 997 section Chris and all will be clear to you
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
No, actually it doesn't. You made the decision after one reply and it wasn't even what was suggested. To each his own...
I posted twice.. Once here and once in the Turbo forum.. Why? Cause I posted in the turbo forum first then realized there seems to be very little traffic on that sub-forum as compared to this one.

Since I needed to make a quick decision, I reposted it here. Yes, redundant but also made me realize, I should reserve questions specifically about the Turbo to the Turbo forum.. but general questions are better suited here.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Gotcha - I misunderstood that you had two threads going... Good luck with the tires!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Gotcha - I misunderstood that you had two threads going... Good luck with the tires!
No worries. I could completely understand your frustration from someone making a post asking a question about product having already made a decision.

Happy motoring!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Big mistake......BIG....really big. You are driving a high performance machine that likely cost you over $130K new. And you are looking to save about the equivalent of $250 a year (4 year life). Thats about $5 a week or about 75 cents a day.

Really!

Mark
I was on the same page as you when the tires were first recommended but thus far, I haven't heard a single person who have actually owned the tires suggesting I don't try them.
I fully understand that the tires are the only contact between the car and the road but doesn't necessarily mean a lesser expensive tire with great, proven and published merit, with what could be considered a minimal amount of performance loss on a road car is a big mistake.

I was originally entirely prepared to hear from people who tried them, "Don't do it, they suck.. Get the better tires." etc. but I that's actually not the case. Everyone from Tirerack and the forums have said, "Great tire at a great price." and does appear on Tirerack as one of the top 3 best selling tires for the Turbo.

So, gonna give em a try.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you read the reviews on Tirerack?
Porsche owners call them Marshmallows.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
No worries. I could completely understand your frustration from someone making a post asking a question about product having already made a decision.

Happy motoring!
Too bad you made a quick decision, good luck with those, but if you follow a couple of other threads there were some not so great reviews about those and one horrible story.

The only cheaper tire I'd consider is the new Bridgestone S04, which is replacement for RE050 and it's just a bit more than Hankook while being at par in performance/handling with MPSS and PS2.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hankook or "Hanguk" mean Korea.

there are quite a few guys that run Hankooks on the track. Cant recall the model.

and Yes 315 will easily fit.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Since you don't get to drive that car much you can put really cheap tires on it and continue to avoid driving it. All you need is something rubber, round, and capable of allowing you to roll the car in and out of the driveway occasionally. Why waste good money on serious tires that will only dry rot--get the crappy tires. Let them dry rot. The Hankooks are popular with those who drive their cars very occasionally.

Quick Reply: What tires? 997 Turbo