Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Performance Modifications - Fact of Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kdurg and all.. I will post before and after photos in about 10 days which is the estimate that I have to complete the suspension..

Cherrs
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
If you want to increase low end torque with the 997 and not break the bank with forced induction or compromise the engine internals, LOSE WEIGHT.

Get the lightest set of rims available. Upgrade to a Single Mass Lightweight Flywheel. ( this was the biggest improvement i've noticed in my car ) an ECU Tune and Exhaust will help in the mid and upper ranges but not down low where you need it most.

.........and post some pics of your car !!
Krudg, which Single Mass Lightweight Flywheel did you go with and how has that affected the car? Any downsides to doing this? I've also considered this for low end especially with 52K on the clock and a clutch replacement likely in the future sometime. Agree with your sentiments that exhaust and ECU tunes normally affect mid-high end ranges but not the low end.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the AASCO LWF. Part number 106417-11 found here for 997.1S. Not sure you can buy direct but I used a distributor and paid around $700 for it.

http://www.aascomotorsports.com/flywheels/porsche.html

The LWF is 15lbs lighter than the dual mass flywheel and you can feel the difference in the car immediately. Really snaps between gear shifts and gets off the line much quicker.

At idle, you can hear ( commonly referred to as ) " gear chatter" or "flywheel rattle" which some may find annoying but I don't find it a drawback at all.

Some will tell you a LWF isn't for a daily driver or street car and I call BS. Either they haven't driven a car with one or don't know what they're talking about. You'll hear stories about not balancing the crank to the flywheel etc etc etc. Ask Sharkwerks in CA. Whenever they do a clutch replacement 90% of the time its with a LWF and they've not had any problems.

I've put LWFs in my 993 C4S, 996C2 and have had it in my 997S for over 60k miles and have had not one issue with either car.

I find it silly some will spend near a thousand dollars on an air box that does nothing but make noise when they can make this kind of upgrade at clutch replacement that completely transforms the car.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Looks like if I can not find a LSD with the correct ring and pinion.. the LWF is the next. But, this is something to be done when the clutch is in need of replacement.

Good stuff all.. really good stuff
Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
gonz911
Pro

I went the minor engine (intake/exhaust/ SW) route with my E46 M3 'Vert and although I was able to squeeze out a few more ponies, it came at a great expense. It wasn't worth it. I then bit the bullet and went F/I and it made the car into an absolute beast. I'm going to do the same with the Carrera and not waste my money on the minor stuff with little yield. F/I for me.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Hey Gonz911. As a fellow Cuban, help me out with acronyms.. what is F/I? Where do you live? I am in CG, Florida.. Saludos
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
gonz911
Pro

!Saludos compadre!

F/I is an acronym for "forced induction". I ran a supercharger in my M3 from ESS Tuning which used an ASA blower; low boost (6 psi) with 500 HP - a total beast! I'm hoping to go with a turbo from TPC Racing for the Carrera.

I live in San Antonio, TX; moved here from St. Paul, MN, prior to the Tampa/Clearwater, FL.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

The acronyms get a little out of control sometimes.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Well, between Cubans, we have many words that would leave the rest of the Spanish world wondering. So it is all good. I am concern with Turbos, even from factory.. but let us know your experience. Presume you will have TPC perform the work.

Now, some of you may wonder why I knew he was Cuban? Only a Cuban would know, unless you major in Country Crests and Chest of Arms..

Max
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
gonz911
Pro

The TPC turbo much like some of the superchargers on the market run low boost. The TPC turbo runs 5.5 psi and VF-E supercharger 6 psi. With the M3 I ran 6 psi, and much like the 997 its compression was 11.5:1 I believe - so pretty high strung. I never had any issues with it and the tuning was perfect and had redundant preventions for knock (i.e., detonation). I'm informed the TPC setup is very high quality and given the low boost I'm not concerned.

I actually found a shop in Houston who has done several installs and they're very impressed with the quality of the TPC setup.

Right on with the Cuban escudo.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz911
I went the minor engine (intake/exhaust/ SW) route with my E46 M3 'Vert and although I was able to squeeze out a few more ponies, it came at a great expense. It wasn't worth it. I then bit the bullet and went F/I and it made the car into an absolute beast. I'm going to do the same with the Carrera and not waste my money on the minor stuff with little yield. F/I for me.
Classic... I did the same thing with my prior E36 M3. The list of mods looked like a scroll of hi perf products ending with F/I(forced induction) from AA. In my case, the old E36 M3's came over the pond neutered with only 240hp instead of 316+hp. So the Schrick cams, larger intake manifold, CAI, Remus exhaust and SW actually did get it back up to sniff... as it was designed for Europe with ~295+hp. Then F/I took me to 360hp... intercooler would have boosted it to 420hp but then I made the p-car jump instead. Of course, p-car mods make all the stuff I did to my old E36 look like child's play financially. But ohh how sweat it is to drive the 911 with an FVD Brombacher exhaust system... woke the immortals today on a WOT run thru the canyons. Pretty sure Ares gave me the thumbs up.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
gonz911
Pro

Canyon runs = great fun! Gotta love the Hill Country!

I have stock exhaust for now, but the TPC setup I understand has a very throaty GT3-like sound.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the TPC supercharger on one of my 993's with the intercooler and the car went from 270 HP to 400+ HP. I tracked it a lot and the torque was awesome. Drove many miles on it without any issues before I sold it. Modifying a car is only limited by your budget.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Performance Modifications - Fact of Fiction