Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Partial drop engine 997 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just back off the engine mount stud nuts all the way, while still leaving them fully engaged! You can then drop the engine only as far as the nuts still mounted on the stud will allow.

Dropping the engine any lower, you risk damage to all the lines tethered to the car.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The coolant hard lines are screwed to the engine... around the oil pan from what I recall. Make sure you unscrew those.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Elite1967
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Spokane, I just PM'd you with the info for dropbox. JIC here it is again: https://www.dropbox.com/
I was going to suggest the same...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice

Elite 1967, This is your best advice so far:

Originally Posted by laz74
Just back off the engine mount stud nuts all the way, while still leaving them fully engaged! You can then drop the engine only as far as the nuts still mounted on the stud will allow.

Dropping the engine any lower, you risk damage to all the lines tethered to the car.
Don't get yourself into problems. Those cars are tricky to work on if you are not careful or don't know what'ya doing. One issue quickly leads into the other.
Ask me how I know....
Cheers,
=L=
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite1967
Hi all,
I have been trying to find a DIY guide to partially drop the ingine of my 997 C2 (2005) as I want to give the engine a good clean from the inside.

I am sure I saw once a guide with good photos but could not find it again.
Is there anyone who could point me to such a guide?

thanks
I've been reading this thread because I was curious to see the advices you're going to get for such a job...
But...I'm sorry...is it just me that's wondering about the above ^^^....DROPING THE ENGINE TO GIVE IT A GOOD CLEAN UP JOB???!!! Is this serious?
I'm thinking you probably have other reasons or I'm misunderstanding something...?
If you don't mind my asking,are you getting it ready for sale?
Either way,good luck and let us know how it went!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Elite1967
Track Day

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've been reading this thread because I was curious to see the advices you're going to get for such a job...
But...I'm sorry...is it just me that's wondering about the above ^^^....DROPING THE ENGINE TO GIVE IT A GOOD CLEAN UP JOB???!!! Is this serious?
I'm thinking you probably have other reasons or I'm misunderstanding something...?
If you don't mind my asking,are you getting it ready for sale?
Either way,good luck and let us know how it went!
Let me explain: what happened is that when I left the car parked inside a public garage a rat entered the engine bay and ate one cable (it was one of the wires going into the big plug on the right side of the engine bay)

I managed to amend the wire but would like to do a more professional job, and also would like to look around to see if other cables, pipes, or plastic objects have been eaten.

So the only way to get more space inside would be to lower few inches the engine and look inside and even do a better amend job in the eaten wire.

I don't want to remove the engine as it's a tremendous job for my knowledge.
Just want to lower it a bit.

The question is, is it a simple job or it's risky and complicated?

I think I will follow laz74's advice:
Originally Posted by laz74
But how much will the engine drop without removing completely the nuts?

thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been curiously following this thread since last week but I was offline yesterday.

Here's a link to my posting on 6SpeedOnline with a 997.1 Workshop Manual download site.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3457697

Coincidently, the workshop manuals will not be available for download after Friday August 31, 2012. Some of the documents in the other subfolders will still be available.

The main manual has been loaded 234 times over the past six months.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Elite1967
Track Day

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I've been curiously following this thread since last week but I was offline yesterday.

Here's a link to my posting on 6SpeedOnline with a 997.1 Workshop Manual download site.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3457697

Coincidently, the workshop manuals will not be available for download after Friday August 31, 2012. Some of the documents in the other subfolders will still be available.

The main manual has been loaded 234 times over the past six months.
thanks.
Just downloaded.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Elite1967
Track Day

# deleted #

Last edited by Elite1967; 08-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Partial drop engine 997 C2