Sponsored by:

Porsche Club question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche Club question

I am looking to join a car club that is centered around our cars. I know of the Porsche Club of America, but I hear the average member is 59 years old.

I am 36. That being said, I live in Westchester county, NY (new NYC) and would love to do some DE events and other social Porsche stuff.

Any recommendations?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm. I am turning 40 soon and I am PCA. You can also run with SCDA, NASA and couple private clubs that are operating on east coast. There are plenty of older and younger folks at any club, but, you see, this fun requires a lot of time and it looks like those who are younger do not have it as much as those who are closer to 60.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd suggest you join PCA and go to a couple of different events - like a DE, autocross, car show, dinner, etc.

You'll get to see a good cross section if you go 2-3 times. I am a member and have been since the vin was issued in Germany on my first P-car, and I attend a few things, and the group varies greatly.

Sure, there are some old-timers there, air-cooled gearheads, but no one cops an attitude and everyone is pretty darn nice, including the spouses.

If you get a local mag from the chapter, it should have postings from your region that will show things in CT, NY and elsewhere, usually an easy drive, events coming up and fun drives or things to do. Just see what you like, then decide.

And who knows, you might just go one morning on a cars/coffee gathering and run into NY's own Jerry Seinfeld. Yeah, he's a city boy, but he travels.

I'm below that avg number you posted, joined when I had just turned 40. There is a wide range of ages in most PCA chapters.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know where that average age number comes from; it sounds high but who knows. Anyway, it depends on the kind of events you show up at. I suppose social events and tours attact a somewhat older crowd but there are many younger people at AutoX's and DE's. It's only $46 a year to join which includes a monthly magazine and a 10% discount given by most dealers on parts. I've been a member for over 25 years and have gotten good value from it; not much risk to try it out.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently joined NNJ PCA for the local info plus I really enjoy reading the magazine. I'm 40ish. Not bad for $46/year.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just joined Potomac region PCA. The main reason was to try AutoX's and DE's since I have never done them before. There is an AutoX event this Saturday and I am debating whether I should go or not. I am a little nervous.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Poshaman
I also just joined Potomac region PCA. The main reason was to try AutoX's and DE's since I have never done them before. There is an AutoX event this Saturday and I am debating whether I should go or not. I am a little nervous.
Dont be nervous. You'll have a blast and meet some good people.
You don't have to try and be the fastest... Just go and have fun tossing the car around. Take he Psm off and kick that rear end out!
You'll love it.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

It is very interesting that you post this thread because the complaint from our local PCA President is that they cannot attract younger Porsche owners. I'm one of the younger members and it is sometimes awkward....so I get where you're coming from. I can't spend another 8 hours driving around visiting civil war sites again this year. It burns up an entire Saturday.

When the Mustang, Cobra, Corvette and Honda guys show up they have their hoods up showing off their new goodies and mods. The Porsche guys talk about surgery, lawsuits and investments. I want to meet for coffee, talk gears and go for an hour drive then get back home by noon to hang with the family.

We just got a new editor that is fairly young and we were passing emails and ideas back and forth last week to figure to out what can be done to get some younger blood and help make the club more interesting. Nashville is a big City with plenty of wealthy young people so I think it's just a matter figuring out what these younger people are attracted to.

Autocross is fun and many good drivers cut their teeth in Autox. I recommend it because you'll really quicken and refine your driving skills and get to know your car intimately.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Don't forget to bring a Snell approved helmet. The club usually has one you can borrow. If you can do the whole course without turning on the blinkers or windshield wipers you'll get a gold star.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Don't forget to bring a Snell approved helmet. The club usually has one you can borrow. If you can do the whole course without turning on the blinkers or windshield wipers you'll get a gold star.
See, I didn't enen know that a helmet was required for AutoX. Where should I buy the helmet from? What kind? Should I buy new or used?
Help please!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Every region is statistically very different. Some are focused upon driving events while others are all about concours, and others, still, focus upon Whine and Cheese...

Don't be discouraged.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LoL, I feel like buying a Mustang for a second car sometimes... I appreciate all drivers and their input, but hearing about bowl movements and litigation is boring, especially for my 23 year old gf! I miss the days when I had my 90's 300ZX and we all just chilled with our cars, hoods open and admired each others cars... even the occasional "time trial" aka light to light drag race. It was all about the cars and maybe at 36 I am just getting old :*(
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 AM
AceOfAces
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 82_930
LoL, I feel like buying a Mustang for a second car sometimes... I appreciate all drivers and their input, but hearing about bowl movements and litigation is boring, especially for my 23 year old gf! I miss the days when I had my 90's 300ZX and we all just chilled with our cars, hoods open and admired each others cars... even the occasional "time trial" aka light to light drag race. It was all about the cars and maybe at 36 I am just getting old :*(
It's interesting you've brought this up! I know exactly how you feel, I'm 28 years old and I've had my 997 for almost a year now. I too, was looking at joining the PCA here in Vancouver Westcoast up here in Canada, but am a bit worried about my age and whether I'd fit in or not (most guys with Porsches are usually an older age). I've heard lots of great things about the PCA members up here and I will probably be joining soon! It'd be great hanging around Porsche enthusiasts and overall gear heads, learning their experiences and advice. You never know what great personalities you'll meet until you try. Good luck with your club choice, you'll have a blast no matter which one you choose!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

You should be able to pick an open faced SNELL approved helmet from you local motorcycle shop for less than $100. Or, borrow one from someone at the club meet. They'll do a vehicle inspection and you probably need to pull your front floor mat. Don't get crazy and try to avoid hitting the orange cones. They will leave orange marks on your car.

See, I didn't enen know that a helmet was required for AutoX. Where should I buy the helmet from? What kind? Should I buy new or used?
Help please!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
there are a bunch of us in the NNJ, hudson valley, NYC etc areas that get together often for drives, cars and coffee and other events. The age ranges from probably me (28) to guys in their 60s, but we BS about everything under the sun, help each other with our cars, and do whatever.

Keep a look out on the 993 forum for the next drive under NJ-NY-CT rennlist drive.

Quick Reply: Porsche Club question