Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spoiler -

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

After a long hot drive I park mine in the garage with the spoiler up. Helps to cool it off? Maybe I am being ****, I thought I read somewhere that you should do this at the track to keep it from smoking at start up?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP needs a better commute. I work from home 90% of the time, but when I do go into the office I take the long way.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Haven't picked one up yet but really like the gt3 style wings.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
nycdoc22
Track Day

If i wake up in time, i will be taking the long route which is a toll road
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdoc22
Well said. We are all individuals... I just wanted to make sure that i wasn't hurting my new toy in any way. I have no problem looking a little silly.

@ Little Green: which spoiler are you ordering... any pics?
You can never look silly behind the wheen of a Porsche!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Little Green
Why is it a "no-no", cause some internet forum guys made it so?
They also said the 993 was the last of the real 911s yet here we all are driving with water cooled engines
The whole concept is silly. The man wants to know if it will hurt his car. Simple answer is no. Wether anyone here agrees with his decision to ride with it up is absolutely irrelevant. It's the same argument about MT and Autos. There is a saying in the motorcycle world. "Ride your own bike". Don't worry about me or mine, worry about you and yours.
Just simple common knowledge in the Porsche community, which I've been in for many years and have owned 6 Porsches already. However, to each his own!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have the manual with me right now but I remember reading the owners manual saying that it will employ at @75mph at a certain engine compartment temperature and it will employ at a lower speed at a higher engine compartment temperature. So does it help in the cooling of the engine bay while in the open position?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
I don't have the manual with me right now but I remember reading the owners manual saying that it will employ at @75mph at a certain engine compartment temperature and it will employ at a lower speed at a higher engine compartment temperature. So does it help in the cooling of the engine bay while in the open position?
Correct, when the engine is at temp, it deploys around 45-50 and when cool around 75. I don't have handy either, but it definitely is based on engine temp.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Little Green
Why is it a "no-no", cause some internet forum guys made it so?
They also said the 993 was the last of the real 911s yet here we all are driving with water cooled engines
The whole concept is silly. The man wants to know if it will hurt his car. Simple answer is no. Wether anyone here agrees with his decision to ride with it up is absolutely irrelevant. It's the same argument about MT and Autos. There is a saying in the motorcycle world. "Ride your own bike". Don't worry about me or mine, worry about you and yours.
My understanding is that the 911 understeers quite a bit and that notably increasing traction at the rear w/ the wing exasperates this problem.

I love the big GT3 style wings and don't really care to watch my wing go up and down at speed (seems very gimicky to me), but I understand that you don't want to run that item unless you have the matching front clip that will increase downforce in the front to maintain some handling balance.

Good Luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i drive w/ the wing up all the time. I'd like to think shes getting more air to breathe!

Quick Reply: rear spoiler -