Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does PSM ever activate and not actually illuminate the light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
JMon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PSM ever activate and not actually illuminate the light?

Sometimes I feel like maybe the PSM actually activates, but the light doesn't come up. (Either that or I'm getting better at catching the car).

In a bigger slide, I can really get into the PSM and it actually lights up. At RR I get this a lot when I actually want the back end to step out just a little.

I just wonder if it ever activates, even a little bit without putting on the light on.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i believe it does. and even when you turn it off, it's still on, just a little more lenient.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

If all the system needs to do is something tiny, then yes I think it can do its work quickly enough that you miss the light. It probably does come on, but you don't notice it because you're busy with you know actually driving. I have had the sensation of the system working but not noticing the light, but only for small events.

The thing about turning it off and it "still being there" is a bit of a misnomer from my understanding. If the system is off, you can spin the car quite easily. Some people have reported that if you get hard into the ABS, then PSM will reactivate. I haven't seen this myself, and at the wet handling exercise as PSDS I spun the car several times and PSM did nothing. If you want a more lenient flavor of PSM, the Sport Chrono pack option includes that.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ABS and PSM

Originally Posted by cviles
Some people have reported that if you get hard into the ABS, then PSM will reactivate.
You are correct, PSM will awake with ABS active. Not sure if PSM will stay on from that moment on or deactivate as soon as ABS goes back to sleep.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
You are correct, PSM will awake with ABS active. Not sure if PSM will stay on from that moment on or deactivate as soon as ABS goes back to sleep.
+1. From the owner's manual:

The following functions stabilize the vehicle in
emergency situations, even with PSM switched
off:
– When PSM is off, the vehicle is stabilized as
soon as one of the two front wheels enters the
ABS control range.
– When PSM is off and Sport mode is on, the
vehicle is stabilized as soon as both front
wheels enter the ABS control range.
One-sided spinning of the wheels is prevented,
even with PSM switched off.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its always active, just much more forgiving. You only turn down the intervention level, but it still comes into play when it feels you exceeding the new lenient safety margins.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

On a Carrera S/GTS even if you turn PSM off it is still in the background working but very very little especially if you are in Sport or Sport Plus mode. There is no light to tell you when PSM is helping you. PSM works by cutting throttle and/or using the brakes. Some people confuse PSM working when the traction control light flickers or ABS light flickers...although TC and ABS is tied into PSM.

Only in the GT3 models can you disable PSM.....you need a GT3....I need a GT3! LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I like it when I can drive to 11/10s and PSM does one-wheel braking and other magic to give 10/10 of performance, but I really really hate it when it retards the throttle. I wish there was a way to manually fine-tune its performance characteristics, when it comes on, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its doing that because otherwise you would in all likelihood slide off the road or start spinning.

If you really think you know better than the computer and can pull it off, have the PSM removed or buy a GT3 as some have mentioned.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 93 Posts

The Porsche PSM is pretty benign in sport mode. But it can step in and tweak without the light going off. I noticed this in my old 997 and I've felt it in the right seat on other cars even though the dash did not show anything flashing.

It can step in and tweak without scolding you. Thats been my experience.

I especially noticed this with 997.2 GT3's where its influence is almost magic.

You can think of PSM as having two modes:
1) Some stability help / tweak - no light
2) PSM - Please Save Me - urgent!!! Save the car.

When the ABS comes on the PSM goes back on. I believe this is true on all cars. Might be a DOT requirement.

Quick Reply: Does PSM ever activate and not actually illuminate the light?