Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone near Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston? Check out a 997.2 C4S for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

I would pass.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I would pass.
Would you care to elaborate? I would be interested in hearing your opinions why you would pass.

Thanks...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

You can do better. Windshield replacement? Toyota dealer? Come on.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

I had the Toyota dealership questioned answered. They have a large number of dealerships located in different parts of the country covering different brands. This car was traded in on a new BMW in a part of the country where Porches like this don't sell quite as fast as they do in the Houston area. The car was moved to the Houston area right across the street from Momentum Porsche. My understanding that this area is a high traffic area for car buyers.

As for the windshield, I'm not sure what to think about that but the thing that has peaked my curiosity is the replacement of two (2) tires about every 10k miles.

Last edited by OhioLefty; 08-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Whats your budget and are you only looking for C4S models?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by hakaida702
Whats your budget and are you only looking for C4S models?
Budget is probably going to max out at around $70k on a dream vehicle that has the options I want. I could stretch a bit if the car was "like new", really low miles and loaded. The two I passed on were in the mid $90's but both were "new" and I was really stretching. I'm paying cash and don't want to finance.

Looking at 997.2 (2009 - 2012) C4S, C2S (prefer the "widebody look of the S models) and maybe even a Targa 4S with the right color and options. I love the look of your GTS but not sure if I can make it fit my budget right now.

I want a solid vehicle and not buying somebody else's problems. The wife is already nervous about sinking this kind of money into a "used" vehicle. I guess I am too. Since this is my first Porsche, I want to make a good choice and have no regrets except that I didn't jump in sooner.

I know what kind of response this is going to bring but I have to be honest with you guys and myself. I know $70k may really limit me but I know if I'm patient I'll find something worth waiting for. On the plus side, every month I wait, the budget increases by $1k.

Last edited by OhioLefty; 08-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
Budget is probably going to max out at around $70k on a dream vehicle that has the options I want. I could stretch a bit if the car was "like new", really low miles and loaded. The two I passed on were in the mid $90's but both were "new" and I was really stretching. I'm paying cash and don't want to finance.

Looking at 997.2 (2009 - 2012) C4S, C2S (prefer the "widebody look of the S models) and maybe even a Targa 4S with the right color and options. I love the look of your GTS but not sure if I can make it fit my budget right now.

I want a solid vehicle and not buying somebody else's problems. The wife is already nervous about sinking this kind of money into a "used" vehicle. I guess I am too. Since this is my first Porsche, I want to make a good choice and have no regrets except that I didn't jump in sooner.

I know what kind of response this is going to bring but I have to be honest with you guys and myself. I know $70k may really limit me but I know if I'm patient I'll find something worth waiting for. On the plus side, every month I wait, the budget increases by $1k.
My GTS was 90k with less than 1200 miles. My budget was 80 to 85k for a low mileage C2S. I didn't want to go that high, but I couldn't pass on it when most low mileage GTS cars were going for over six figures. I keep telling myself I got a steal. At least thats how I try to justify going over budget. Hopefully you will have more discipline than me. I think if you are more patient than me and can wait til oct to jan, you can probably find what you want for mid 70s. I think what you really want right now is mid to high 80s, but should drop a bit by winter.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by hakaida702
My GTS was 90k with less than 1200 miles. My budget was 80 to 85k for a low mileage C2S. I didn't want to go that high, but I couldn't pass on it when most low mileage GTS cars were going for over six figures. I keep telling myself I got a steal. At least thats how I try to justify going over budget. Hopefully you will have more discipline than me. I think if you are more patient than me and can wait til oct to jan, you can probably find what you want for mid 70s. I think what you really want right now is mid to high 80s, but should drop a bit by winter.
I would have done exactly what you did for $90k! Beautiful GTS with 1200 miles!? You don't have to keep telling yourself, I'll tell you. You got a steal! You can literally drive your car like you stole it! lol! I hope I can get that lucky!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would buy an 08 or 09 turbo for that kind of money.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by function12
I would buy an 08 or 09 turbo for that kind of money.
I made a deal with the wife, it's gotta have PDK (not really a bad thing) so '09 - '12 997.2 An '09 Turbo would be nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
I had the Toyota dealership questioned answered. They have a large number of dealerships located in different parts of the country covering different brands. This car was traded in on a new BMW in a part of the country where Porches like this don't sell quite as fast as they do in the Houston area. The car was moved to the Houston area right across the street from Momentum Porsche. My understanding that this area is a high traffic area for car buyers.

As for the windshield, I'm not sure what to think about that but the thing that has peaked my curiosity is the replacement of two (2) tires about every 10k miles.
You know these cars go through the rears in about 10,000 to 14,000 miles, don't you.

Windshield could have had a rock hit it.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You know these cars go through the rears in about 10,000 to 14,000 miles, don't you.

Windshield could have had a rock hit it.
Exactly! I would not sweat that at all
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
farkas
AutoX

I am in Columbus Ohio and just bought a 2002 996 from the Houston area from a private owner. Had a PPI done on the car, flew down there and drove it home....It was a wonderful experience that I would do again in a heartbeat! It really doesn't matter where you buy a used car. Monitor the Carfax or better yet do an Autocheck on it as their data is much more accurate! Actually you are probably going to get a better deal at the Toyota dealership as they probably do not want to have that money tied up in a non Toyota car. They will deal on it till they are at a break even point....You will not see that at a Porsche dealership. They know their cars and you will pay for them there. The important thing is the PPI..... get it done and go buy yourself a C4S!!!!! GL
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Young Turks - "giving bad advice and committing genocide, since 1914"
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

RoadRat stopped by the dealership to look at the C4S for a second opinion. We talked on the phone while he went over the car inside and out. We found out that the car only has one (1) key. How big a deal is it to get a replacement? $500 possibly for a replacement?

Thanks again RoadRat...

Quick Reply: Anyone near Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston? Check out a 997.2 C4S for me?