Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone near Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston? Check out a 997.2 C4S for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone near Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston? Check out a 997.2 C4S for me?

Hello again. Although I don't post much (mostly because I'm still learning about and still searching for my first 911) I visit here almost everyday. I've become familiar with a lot of names here and hope someday to meet some of you.

Today marks the one year anniversary of my search for my first 911. In the past year I have found a few 911s that caught my eye (who am I kidding, they all catch my eye) but two in particular that I let get away.

One in Atlanta, GA at Jim Ellis Porsche because I didn't act fast enough (still kicking myself in the butt over that one) that was EXACTLY what I wanted. A well optioned 2012 C4S discounted from $120k down to $95 with less than 1000 miles. Corporate "Demo" I think and the warranty had already been punched for a almost a year.

The other one was in Houston, TX at Momentum Porsche. A 2011 C4S that wasn't optioned as nice as the 2012 but had less than a few hundred miles and also had the warranty punched for almost a year. The dealer and I came within $5k of an agreement and someone bought it before I made my decision.

Which brings me to this post. I found a 2011 C4S 911 on eBay that could pass for the one that sold in Houston earlier this year. I'm pretty sure it isn't the same car because this one has almost 20,000 miles on it unless the owner drove it a lot this year. I'm a little nervous about buying a 911 from a Toyota dealer and was wondering if someone from the southwest Houston area that is familiar with Sterling McCall Toyota could stop buy and have a look on my behalf if it wouldn't be a lot of trouble.

Here is the link to the car on eBay. 2011 Porsche C4S

Thanks in advance and thank you all for all of the informative advice that I have indirectly received from this forum. I have learned so much from all of you! Hopefully some day, I can be part of this wonderful community.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

This is a really nice car and worth looking at. It's got some really nice options - PSE, crest in seats, window wiper, ventalated seats, sport steering wheel and Sport Chrono Plus (which I believe lowers the car by 20mm).
There's been discussion theat you shouldn't buy from a non-Porsche dealer etc... But you just need to find the history of the car. Somebody probably traded it in on something new... Who knows, right? Get the data.
I'm not close to Houston so sorry, I can't help you out. Many cars are bought sight unseen. Have it checked out at a Porsche dealer.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Wow a year of looking. I gave myself six months to look and I got impatient and went a little over budget on a car I couldn't pass up. Since you're in ohio have you looked at the cars at Byers in columbus? I saw a really nice GTS on their site for sale. Or are you only looking for awd cars?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

looks pretty need. missing are proper seats and it seems like you would need new tires soon other then that great car, arrange a price with them outside of ebay with subject to ppi that goes through with flying numbers.
Ask for maintenance history and carfax, if you have the vin you can also call a Porsche dealer and ask if they have any service history, repairs etc
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

by having somebody look at a car for you is really a waste. You have to have the dealer take it to a porsche dealer, inspect it, and then youll know all about the car. No hoping
If its not worth paying to do that, you arent serious about buying the car.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

What does the carfax on it say about ownership? Did the dealer acquire it thru a trade in or did they procure it from an auction? Sometimes they'll buy eye candy for the dealership to draw on lookers = no service records. If it was a trade-in then the original owner may have left them with service records... would be very odd if he did not. You'll definitely want a PPI.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by hakaida702
Wow a year of looking. I gave myself six months to look and I got impatient and went a little over budget on a car I couldn't pass up. Since you're in ohio have you looked at the cars at Byers in columbus? I saw a really nice GTS on their site for sale. Or are you only looking for awd cars?
Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to be patient, maybe that is part of the problem. I'm looking for the near "perfect" car after letting the one I wanted get away. I'm hoping it will pay off and I'll find the right car. I have been to Byers (2 hrs. away) and check their site once in a while but haven't seen the GTS (maybe I missed it).

Doesn't have to be AWD, I just like the look of the 4S or an S. I'm trying to stay with the 997.2 model years and PDK. I would also like Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, PASM and a few other extras. Prefer a Porsche CPO car with lower miles if possible. I have a budget in mind but I can be a little flexible if my dream car fell in my lap.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:23 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by okbarnett
by having somebody look at a car for you is really a waste. You have to have the dealer take it to a porsche dealer, inspect it, and then youll know all about the car. No hoping
If its not worth paying to do that, you arent serious about buying the car.
I understand what you are saying and I guess I was just asking if somebody here drove by there to and from work or lived nearby. They could give me their opinion of the overall condition of the car, road rash, paint chips, swirls, does it smell of smoke inside, etc. I wasn't asking for a PPI of sorts, just an opinion if it wasn't any trouble.

If this car becames a "serious" prospect, I would certainly pay to have a PPI done by a reputable third party or Porsche dealership.

Last edited by OhioLefty; 08-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Danon Minner
1st Gear

I work there as a buyer and familiar with the car. In the car scene in houston i go by "4sell" on most of the local forums, i currently personally have a 996 c4s, blown c6, and a 25.5 certified cobra race car . I know the story on the car. Im only logged in here via facebook to answer this thread. If you want to call or email its fine. Momentum porsche is across the street if you want to do PPI through them.

Dan
dminner@mccallgroup.com
8326616757 cell
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I talked to sterling McCall once about a 911. The Toyota dealer gets trade ins from either the sister BMW dealer or another premium brand they sell- can't remember which. It was a base 2009 for 57K that I should have moved on...oh well. Get a solid PPI.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Thanks to Danon Minner!

He walked around the car with me on the phone and gave me a detailed visual and his opinion of the car. He also knew some history of the car which helped too.

Thanks again Dan! It was really good talking to you.

I'm telling you, the people here are some of the best!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about it being sold by a Toyota dealership pending a positive PPI. That's a great looking car with a hefty list of desirable options. Go for it!

You definitely have more patience than I do.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I can go look at it...its close to me. Email me at roadrat@gmail
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the price seems reasonable
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Only thing that really shows on CarFax is that it has had the windshield replaced and two tires mounted and balanced at 10,003. The person I talked to said they just put two new rear tires on it. Car has 19,472 on the ODO. Hmmm...

07/22/2011 10,003 Higginbotham Automobiles LLC
Jackson, MS
601-984-3700
higginbotham.mercedescenter.com
Two tires mounted and balanced
Windshield replaced
State safety inspection completed
Oil and filter changed
Maintenance inspection completed

Quick Reply: Anyone near Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston? Check out a 997.2 C4S for me?