Sponsored by:

Noise Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Pipes

Looks like Porsche was following the lead of Chevrolet, VW and Ford with they installed the bill of goods called a "Noise Pipe" or "Symposer".

Check out this article.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-rise...gine-roar.html
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

Porsche's association with VW influences has been a puuuudthetic adventure IMO. Look at the 991 sunroof and the 991 Buick interior. Are future Porsches to have silicon ****, lipo, fake eyelashes, fake fingernails, lip injections, fake engine noises, etc just so they can stand toe-to-toe with all the other corporate floozies huddled under the street lamps of nowhere trying to sell themselves to potential passersby johns stuck in their little stoplight-to-stoplight rat-maze lives. Sad.

Bob Dylan or Jack Kerouac should expound on this!

Other than that I hold no opinion.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Now i've seen everything. Seriously???

John
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

My wife has that little GTI and if it does have that motor symposer then it sucks because the motor sounds weak. You used to be able to hear the turbo and the 1.8T rip when going through the gears.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Datura
Instructor

My first car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 RT, Plum Crazy in color, Hurst shifter, Mallory Dual-Point ignition, 3 two barrel carbs, Hooker headers, etc. When I started it in the morning before school my Dad complained that he had ripples in his coffee cup from the tremors and his scrambled eggs jiggled.

Don't give me fake noises, Porsche, or I'll buy something else. I mean isn't it kinda gettin' to be like a Japanese **** movie on steroids with the fake screeches of pleasure. Just saying..........
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Ferdinand Piech is Ferdinand Porsche's grandson, worked at Porsche for some years mainly developing the 906 and leading to 917 (i.e. racing), and I've heard it said he might be more likely to take Porsche back into racing (more seriously) than the Porsche side of the clan. So I have some hope that "VW" won't dilute and destroy the Porsche brand. The 997 to 991 transition reminds me a bit of the 993 to 996 transition when my first look at 996 engendered a "you're kidding me" response. Not as bad with 991 but I don't like the changes.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
d the 991 Buick interior.
oh god, not another one with the asinine comments.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm not sure if someone considering an interior looking like a Buick is asinine. But someone calling another person an *** without justification might be an *** himself. I don't get your comment which seems a bit knee jerk. There is a lot more plastic in the 991.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh god, not another one with the asinine comments.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Datura
Instructor

Borrowing from Billy Madison..........

Principal: "Mr. Datura, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Mr. Datura: "Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine."

Didn't mean to offend the Buick owners.........Buicks are fine cars....FINE automobiles.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
I'm not sure if someone considering an interior looking like a Buick is asinine. But someone calling another person an *** without justification might be an *** himself. I don't get your comment which seems a bit knee jerk. There is a lot more plastic in the 991.
1. who called who an ***?

2. the only possible reason why a 991 might have more interior plastic is because the interior panels are bigger. Both the 997 and 991 have plenty of plastic.

Now then, if you don't like your sound tube or whatever, block it off an add an exhaust.

Really, whats the big deal?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
Don't give me fake noises, Porsche, or I'll buy something else.
Whatever else you may think of it, it's not a "fake noise". It's actual intake sound ducted from the engine compartment, unlike the speakers mentioned in the article that are used in the GTI or M5 to pump in artificial noise. Porsche has done this because the 991 cabin sound deadening is so much better than before.

Exhaust systems are tuned with pipes, baffles, etc. to get a louder exhaust note. People cut holes in their exhausts to place crossover pipes (Gundo hack) to make their exhaust louder. Others replace their air boxes and air filters with intake systems to increase intake noise over the stock system (that's about all they really do). Porsche has designed a tuned port to make real intake sound more audible. What's the difference?

Some people think being able to hear the actual intake sound through the tuned port is sporty. OTOH, if someone doesn't like it, they can literally stuff a sock in it. I don't see the problem.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Whatever else you may think of it, it's not a "fake noise".
You can make the same argument about a boob job.
Call them augmented, modified or fake...but they are not the real thing.
The purists out there want the real deal.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Whatever else you may think of it, it's not a "fake noise". It's actual intake sound ducted from the engine compartment, unlike the speakers mentioned in the article that are used in the GTI or M5 to pump in artificial noise. Porsche has done this because the 991 cabin sound deadening is so much better than before.

Exhaust systems are tuned with pipes, baffles, etc. to get a louder exhaust note. People cut holes in their exhausts to place crossover pipes (Gundo hack) to make their exhaust louder. Others replace their air boxes and air filters with intake systems to increase intake noise over the stock system (that's about all they really do). Porsche has designed a tuned port to make real intake sound more audible. What's the difference?

Some people think being able to hear the actual intake sound through the tuned port is sporty. OTOH, if someone doesn't like it, they can literally stuff a sock in it. I don't see the problem.
+1.

As much as I don't like 991, I think the exhaust note of 997.2 DFI engine was its weakest point (vs. 997.1), and Porsche has addressed it in 991, and I think it's a pretty cool solution to keep both cabin quiet, yet get a good exhaust tone in (and yet not to fake it, ie GTI and M5).
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm not fond of fake ***** unless it's for reconstructive reasons then I guess I understand.

I'm not a purist or minimalist but I appreciate the raw feeling and sound of a race car so the manufactures that come closest to achieving that feel, sound and performance of a GT type Race Car have always impressed me. The 911 is one of the few cars sold out of the box that you can take to the race track and completely dominate the field depending on the driver of course. The Lotus, Z06, M3, and some of the other exotics do a fine job as well but the 911 has always been my personal favorite. Some manufactures over the years seem to be moving in the direction of making their cars sportier and more track worthy. One could argue that the 991 is going in the opposite direction. Too much luxury in my opinion.

I guess Porsche needs to keep up the with the CTS-V and its infamous G-Meter.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
You can make the same argument about a boob job.
Call them augmented, modified or fake...but they are not the real thing.
The purists out there want the real deal.
its real noise just piped into the cabin.

whats the problem?

Quick Reply: Noise Pipes