Noise Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
its real noise just piped into the cabin.
whats the problem?
The M5 uses a recorded sound bite of real noise, piped into the cabin.

Are you Ok with that ?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To clarify, if I'm correct, this "technology" is not used on the 991.
It's only used on the Cayman as of now.
As to the Buick thing, well, it's not your Dad's car anymore...
The 991 I sat in at the dealer was the full leather version, and it certainly wasn't overly plastic, especially relative to a GM product.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
The M5 uses a recorded sound bite of real noise, piped into the cabin.

Are you Ok with that ?
I don't particularly care one way or another. I haven't driven one to see if its cheesy (the m5 that is), but if it sounds realistic, its fine with me. If I didn't like it, i'd turn it off and add a louder exhaust if necessary.

Originally Posted by PHX 911
To clarify, if I'm correct, this "technology" is not used on the 991.
It's only used on the Cayman as of now.
As to the Buick thing, well, it's not your Dad's car anymore...
The 991 I sat in at the dealer was the full leather version, and it certainly wasn't overly plastic, especially relative to a GM product.
nope, the 991 does have this (at least the S I believe)

But porsche literally just takes a tube from the intake into the cabin.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

So far the 991 has grown in size, softened it's ride, created an artificial steering feel and an artificial sound chamber, slathered the rear in excessive self promoting badging and raised the price 25 % or so.
No manual trans cars were shipped upon introduction,and everything possible is done to lead us to the PDK.
In their defense, it is a lighter car and footwell lighting is free ( I think )

Just what could Porsche do to the next 911 to cause you to declare it finally "Jumped the Shark" ?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

^ +1000
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Makes you wonder what Porsche will need to do to the 991 GT3RS to make it worthy of the past cars. Probably install two symposers to give it that growl.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

You can make the same argument about a boob job.
Call them augmented, modified or fake...but they are not the real thing.
The purists out there want the real deal.
That comparison doesn't fly. The symposer isn't designed to add fake sound; it's designed to allow you to hear sound that's already there. To use your example, it's like a woman with nice natural ***** wearing a low cut top; not fake, just more obvious.

What's the "real deal" in terms of intake sound, anyway? Porsche used to drill holes in the airbox so that more intake noise could be heard in the cabin. The option was called the "motor sound package". Was that the real deal? You can buy a carbon fiber airbox with modified air intakes that increase intake noise over stock. Is that the real deal? Or is the real deal a car with no sound insulation so you can hear every possible noise? Not very practical or appealing, IMO.

The symposer is nothing like piping in sound over speakers. Like it or don't, but it's not fake. It's a tuned port, much like an exhaust that is tuned for better sound. Or is that not the "real deal" either?

Just what could Porsche do to the next 911 to cause you to declare it finally "Jumped the Shark" ?
For starters, offer a car that is slower, doesn't handle as well, has worse brakes, and is less efficient than the previous model. When that happens we can talk seriously about jumping the shark. But it hasn't happened yet.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-08-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

nope, the 991 does have this (at least the S I believe)

But porsche literally just takes a tube from the intake into the cabin.
Link?

The article the OP references in his first post says its a tube in the Cayman-nothing about the 991.
Not that it matters to me, as I have a 997, and hang out here, not the 991 forum, which is where the evolution of this thread should be, or OT since breasts are now involved, but then the infidels wouldn't be able to "contribute" if it were moved to OT.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
For starters, offer a car that is slower, doesn't handle as well, has worse brakes, and is less efficient than the previous model. When that happens we can talk seriously about jumping the shark. But it hasn't happened yet.....
I don't think that argument holds water.
The current and future M3 vs the M3's that made BMW's reputation as the premier sports sedan meet all of those requirements...faster,better performing ,etc.
Do you think the M3, or the M5 for that matter, have "jumped' ?

Would you be accepting if the 991.2 follows BMW down the sound bite road to exhaust "like" noises ? A Bose exhaust system might save a few grams.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

following the boob analogy:

The symposer is like a photo of someone's ***** printed on a t shirt.

The sound ducting is like a woman weating a t shirt with holes in it.

I think i prefer the t shirt with holes. But as mentioned above in either case you can ask her to put a jacket on.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I don't think that argument holds water.
The current and future M3 vs the M3's that made BMW's reputation as the premier sports sedan meet all of those requirements...faster,better performing ,etc.
Do you think the M3, or the M5 for that matter, have "jumped' ?

Would you be accepting if the 991.2 follows BMW down the sound bite road to exhaust "like" noises ? A Bose exhaust system might save a few grams.
Are we talking about BMWs or Porsches? I think reproducing recorded engine/exhaust sounds over loudspeakers in the cabin qualifies as "jumping the shark". Porsche hasn't done that. They also haven't lowered their performance standards. As I said before, when they do then we can discuss further.

Originally Posted by 997_rich
following the boob analogy:

The symposer is like a photo of someone's ***** printed on a t shirt.

The sound ducting is like a woman weating a t shirt with holes in it.

I think i prefer the t shirt with holes. But as mentioned above in either case you can ask her to put a jacket on.
Just to be clear, the Porsche symposer is sound ducting. It's the T-shirt with holes, not the printed on *****.....
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
Porsche's association with VW influences has been a puuuudthetic adventure IMO. Look at the 991 sunroof and the 991 Buick interior. Are future Porsches to have silicon ****, lipo, fake eyelashes, fake fingernails, lip injections, fake engine noises, etc just so they can stand toe-to-toe with all the other corporate floozies huddled under the street lamps of nowhere trying to sell themselves to potential passersby johns stuck in their little stoplight-to-stoplight rat-maze lives. Sad.

Bob Dylan or Jack Kerouac should expound on this!

Other than that I hold no opinion.
LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

So far the 991 has grown in size, softened it's ride, created an artificial steering feel and an artificial sound chamber, slathered the rear in excessive self promoting badging and raised the price 25 % or so.
No manual trans cars were shipped upon introduction,and everything possible is done to lead us to the PDK.
In their defense, it is a lighter car and footwell lighting is free ( I think )

Objectively compared to last years model, a 991 is a couple of inches longer, nearly 100 pounds lighter, has eliminated bump steer but places better and has higher cornering limits, has a much better exhaust sound standard and way way better with PSE, 50 or so more HP, so its fast as last year's GT3 (at 20k less price) and with PDK, shifts better than I ever could, so its faster at any track, shifting for me or accommodating my fingers. Badging irrelevant - can be whatever you order- shape needs no self promotion.

But you would have to spend some time in one to understand.

I guess the next variations GT3, Turbo, wide body 4s will meet your criteria for excess.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

And you own PDK? I rest my case. Redesigned for a different type of buyer.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Objectively compared to last years model, a 991 is a couple of inches longer, nearly 100 pounds lighter, has eliminated bump steer but places better and has higher cornering limits, has a much better exhaust sound standard and way way better with PSE, 50 or so more HP, so its fast as last year's GT3 (at 20k less price) and with PDK, shifts better than I ever could, so its faster at any track, shifting for me or accommodating my fingers. Badging irrelevant - can be whatever you order- shape needs no self promotion.

But you would have to spend some time in one to understand.

I guess the next variations GT3, Turbo, wide body 4s will meet your criteria for excess.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
And you own PDK? I rest my case. Redesigned for a different type of buyer.
With all due respect, that's a gross simplification and generalization. Unless by "different type of buyer" you also mean someone who is interested in the latest technology and maximum performance.

Quick Reply: Noise Pipes