Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speeding ticket

I received a speeding ticket yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and it felt weird.

I was returning from PetSmart where my wife and I picked up a few items for our new puppy. It was a hot, lazy afternoon, and we weren't trying to get anywhere quickly. (i.e., I was not in my 'sport driving mode'!)

On the way home, I was in the right lane of a 6 lane road (45 MPH speed limit), driving behind 3 other vehicles. (2 of which were SUVs, not sure of the other car) We were not in this lane to pass other cars. I had been in the right lane for 1-2 miles, because my exit was upcoming, and again it was a fairly leisurely afternoon. I was not closely following the SUV right in front of me, because I try to avoid rock chips.

Shortly before my exit, a police truck pulled from a parking lot onto the road behind me. I really thought nothing of it. Just when I exited off the road, my wife told me that the police truck had turned its flashing lights on. I quickly pulled off the road, thinking he needed to get around me to get somewhere quickly.

Well, needless to say, he pulled right off behind me. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I readily admitted that I didn't, and that I had just been following the other vehicles. He said I was travelling 58 in a 45 zone. I apologized, and admitted I hadn't realized that. (I'm sure he was right. I really wasn't sure)

He then gave me a ticket for 9MPH over the speed limit, which apparently was significantly cheaper. He also explained the points and how to get them expunged.

I don't live in a large or wealthy community. I'm sure this officer was a resident and member of the community, and is very cognizant to the economic troubles of his neighbors. It almost felt like this was part of the quota of tickets he needed to write, and that it was better to ticket someone he felt could better afford it.

Please call me crazy if I am. It will probably make me feel better about continuing to drive my Porsche around here. I typically drive an 07 Audi A4, and only drive the Porsche on weekends or when I have a day off. I plan to move back to MN in the not too distant future, and am seriously considering shipping the Porsche back up there, and just using it during my visits up there until I move back permanently.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post!
Kevin
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 0 compassion to police force giving away tickets to fulfill their quota.
i got a ticket this summer, first time in last 7 years for going '80 in the 65 zone' while i tried to pass a canadian truck that was going in the left lane bouncing its tail left and right.
i was going 75 on the cruise control, so just stepped on the gas to pass that guy, same moment cruiser goes out and gets me. and he saw everything but did not give a damn. and i was not in my pc-ar, it was old lexus.
they are jerks and this is all i think of them. i did not see in a long time anything positive done by police on the highways other than hunting for money. it is not what police gets paid for from my taxes, they should protect public safety, go after danger source on the road, instead they go after any easy target they can prey on and hunt for money and this deserves 0 respect.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Just generating revenue. It will continue as long as we the voters allow it to happen. Local newspaper here even had an article about having to increase traffic enforcement because tax revenues were down. Most seem to be OK with it. Sad.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You were admittedly going over the speed limit. According to your experience, he seemed nice enough and even cut you some slack.

That said, you do drive a nice car and will get more attention (wanted and unwanted). Plead the ticket down to a non-moving violation, and keep driving.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
SLP
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up my 997.2 last month. A couple of weeks ago when i registered it i put the clear license plate protectors over my plates. About a wk or 2 after putting them on, I got pulled over about a mile away from my house for illegal coverings on the plates. Luckily I had a police members card on me and the officer let me go, but he told me to take them off. Mind you, on my cayenne, i've had the same coverings on for 5 years in my town and never once have gotten pulled over. This cop I was actually driving towards on a 2 way street, he made a u-turn after passing me and pulled me over.

Definitely think they purposely choose certain cars.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that sucks! Yes he did give you a break. Technically fines start at 1-5 MPH over.They usually let you get away with 5 over but anything between 6 and 10 over is up to the cop.
If you actually want to protect your self aginst that kind of crap all I can say is..."V1... never leave home witout it!"
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by laz74
You were admittedly going over the speed limit. According to your experience, he seemed nice enough and even cut you some slack.

That said, you do drive a nice car and will get more attention (wanted and unwanted). Plead the ticket down to a non-moving violation, and keep driving.
bingo
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
kes7u
Instructor

I appreciate all of your thoughts thus far.

In terms of pleading the ticket down, I suppose that would mean going to the courthouse. I highly doubt that I could fit that into my schedule, or that it would make sense financially to do so. It sounds like I can do an internet course to expunge the points.

I suppose I need to continue to weigh the positives and negatives of driving a car like this. I think if I face the same issue (sounds like I probably will) in my community in MN after moving, I will probably find a new hobby!

Thanks again.
Kevin
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Unfortunately in today's political climate of classs warfare, a lot of resentment is being directed against the top "1%". Rightly or wrongly Porsche owners are perceived as being in that group.

About two years ago a State Tropper ticketed me for having clear plastic covers on my license plates. These covers can be bought at any store selling automobile parts. The Tropper claimed that it was hard for him to read my plate numbers through the covers. Absolut BS. It was a $60 ticket, and for me to contest it I would have had to take a half day off from work. I had no choice but to pay the fine, since it was not a given that I would prevail in court and I wasn't about to burnt up a half day of vacation for $60.

So I now look at cop cars as being nothing more than mobile toll booths.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would anyone want plastic covers over a license plate?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Point! Why would anyone put a clear protector over there plate, unless it's a vanity plate, and then again why
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
kes7u
Instructor

Hey! Stop hijacking my thread!

(just kidding.....!)
Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Owners of performance cars like Porsches have always gotten more attention from cops; today's "political climate" has nothing to do with it. Cops know as well as we do that people don't own hot cars to drive them slowly, so they're watching them more closely.

I hate to say this because I hate getting tickets. But with the single exception of an Oregon radar trap nearly 30 years ago, where I'm convinced I was singled out because I had CA plates (no, I'm not still bitter about it ), I've never been stopped inappropriately. That my car gets more attention and is more likely to be noticed doing 10 over, having a missing license plate, or whatever is annoying, but the fact is those things are illegal. OTOH, I've been let off many times by cops for violations when they didn't have to. If you're not doing anything illegal and get stopped, you have a legitimate beef. If you are doing something illegal, and the cop stops you, it's not his fault.

No question police are sometimes used as revenue generators, which pisses us off. It bothers me that a trooper sits by the side of the road with his radar gun, while oblivious cell phone users (as bad as drunks) are terrorizing the roadways with impunity. Still, if people didn't speed, run stop signs, etc. there would be no point in having cops out there for revenue, because there would be no tickets. It cuts both ways.

To the OP, I'm guessing everyone who got a ticket from that cop that day, including non-Porsche owners, felt like they were being singled out; it's human nature. Don't stop driving and enjoying your Porsche just because of that. Pay your fine, do an online course to clear your points, and move on. Just my $.02.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Oregon, and the State Troopers were thick as thieves. In one particular place, a dark ST truck was parked in the shade at the bottom of a 6% grade, almost impossible to see them until you're right there. This was in the middle of the woods on a nice road, so definitely a radar trap. Fortunately I was not in the P car and was on a leisurely drive or I would have a nice fat ticket, definitely time to invest in a radar detector. Lesson - be careful in Oregon.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, I have gotten more tickets in the past year than in my entire life, yet all of the tickets had their points "expunged" as you say, BUT I had to pay a "reduced" fine.

It's economic profiling...

The next time you vote, make sure it's for someone who wants to cut government programs/budgets/spending.

BTW, the same is being done with motorcycles, jet ski's (yes, the police boat is pulling over jet ski's) and any other pleasure vehicle too... I got all those tickets and then had the "points" expunged (along with the other 30 people in front of me on the line) BUT had to pay a "reduced fine".

They just want your money, they take the points away so you can still drive and they can do it again to you later.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket