Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 AM
RedRyder
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Vegas, I've been pulled over 7-8 times and have only gotten one ticket. I think in some tourist areas they at least try to pull revenue from those out of state and luckily, give us locals some slack.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Dude, I have gotten more tickets in the past year than in my entire life, yet all of the tickets had their points "expunged" as you say, BUT I had to pay a "reduced" fine.

It's economic profiling...

The next time you vote, make sure it's for someone who wants to cut government programs/budgets/spending.

BTW, the same is being done with motorcycles, jet ski's (yes, the police boat is pulling over jet ski's) and any other pleasure vehicle too... I got all those tickets and then had the "points" expunged (along with the other 30 people in front of me on the line) BUT had to pay a "reduced fine".

They just want your money, they take the points away so you can still drive and they can do it again to you later.
Must be different in New York. In CA you can only take "traffic school" once every 18 months to eliminate points; more often than that and it counts on your record regardless. BTW, on all those tickets when they did it to you, were you actually in violation, or are cops just harrassing you for no reason?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 438 Posts

I got one last week while driving my Audi A7 on a residential 2 lane road for 58mph in a 45mph zone. Officer was driving an SUV and coming down and incline towards me int he opposite lane while I was going down and incline and bend at the same time. I was moving with traffic and thought nothing of it until I got to a light and stopped waiting for it to turn. Noticed the police SUV in the left lane about 2 cars back also waiting for the light. Upon turning green I proceeded thru the intersection and notice the police SUV had now pulled behind me and within about another 1/2 block..flashing lights appeared and I pulled to the side. Was not speeding but was told that "I was speeding and she had to catch me!" How the hell can I be caught when I was stopped at a light for 2 mins or more is beyond me? After the license and registration bit I was given a citation to pay a fine it seems or appear in court in 10 days. As I was moving/leaving the state the very next day I explained that the appearance part was not really possible and was there really no other option to which I was rudely informed to read the citation for directions by the officer. Definately left a bitter taste in my mouth as I was polite, didn't dispute or argue with the officer but basically informed them that the appearance would be problematic and what alternatives I had...I didn't even dispute the speeding issue although the citation SAID I was tracked on radar and I do doubt she would have had time give the closure rate and nature of the road and other traffic to single out a speed on me! This was also the one time I didn't have my radar on me on this road which seems to be a notorious speed trap/revenue generator for the local Sheriffs department.

Anyway I agree that some officers definately profile and revenue hunt certain drivers..I was even asked "If it was a rental car OR did I actually own this car!" I guess cause I have out of state plates in Tx (am military so I don't have to re-register my vehicle every time I change bases). In any event...my impression and experiences have been that whenenver you are driving a nice car or sporty car and an officer changes lanes to follow you or changes directions to go in your same direction...prepare for a traffic stop and some sort of "experience!" Some are good and some are bad as there are all types of officers and jurisdictions...CHP stopped me the week before towing my Porsche to my next duty stop..due to broken tail light on the trailer AND going >55mph (didn't know that was the limit for towed vehicles in CA) AND as he admitted..he wanted to check out my Porsche (he was a fan and an owner of an 83 Carerra)...result though there was some education to CA laws and some good car talk and NO tickets and even directions to my destination! It just depends...I guess.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

The more I read, and the more I think about my experience, I'm not sure that this is worth it anymore.

I'm basically hearing that if I'm speeding, I deserve to be pulled over. Despite the fact that I am on a 6 lane road, in the far right lane, driving behind and the same speed as a line of other cars, not passing any other vehicles. I am basically being told that this is unacceptable, and that while driving a Porsche, I should be slowing down and sitting in the right lane while getting tailgated and passed by nearly every other car on the road?!?!?!?!?

I'd rather drive my 07 A4 and at least be able to drive with traffic.

Thanks again for the comments.
Kevin

P.S. Any interest in an 07 silver/black CPO carrera S, well maintained with just over 25k miles????
Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by kes7u
The more I read, and the more I think about my experience, I'm not sure that this is worth it anymore.

I'm basically hearing that if I'm speeding, I deserve to be pulled over. Despite the fact that I am on a 6 lane road, in the far right lane, driving behind and the same speed as a line of other cars, not passing any other vehicles. I am basically being told that this is unacceptable, and that while driving a Porsche, I should be slowing down and sitting in the right lane while getting tailgated and passed by nearly every other car on the road?!?!?!?!?

I'd rather drive my 07 A4 and at least be able to drive with traffic.

Thanks again for the comments.
Kevin

P.S. Any interest in an 07 silver/black CPO carrera S, well maintained with just over 25k miles????
Kevin,
with all due respect, you are being a drama queen.

Lets look at the facts:
1. You were speeding
2. You were in a 911

Could you say you were targeted? sure. But your excuse of "everybody else was doing it too" doesn't really garner much sympathy. If you get picked up on a burglary charge and your defense is "well, other people were stealing too and I only stole a dvd player, they stole a 60" tv", I don't think you are getting off.

If one ticket for 9 over (he gave you a break mind you), causes you to want to sell the car, maybe it wasn't the right car for you to begin with.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Quadcammer,

I don't disagree with anything you say. If driving a Porsche and avoiding harassment by law enforcement means not even being able to drive with traffic, then I have chosen the wrong car.

Time to go find a comfy SUV or luxobarge.

Boy have I become old and crotchety......
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If driving a Porsche and avoiding harassment by law enforcement means not even being able to drive with traffic, then I have chosen the wrong car.
You're not being harassed or targeted. You were speeding. Simple as that. 13 over. The cop was nice and cut you some slack. 13 over in a 45 is a bigger deal than 13 over on the highway (55, 65, or 70 MPH limit). Pay it. Move on. Enjoy your Porsche.

If you want to drive real fast, join your PCA Region, and DE.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kes

See if there is a "ticket Clinic" law firm near you. In Dade county, they will guarantee no points (you will have to pay a fine), you don't have to show up in court and they charge around $75. If you elect traffic school, be aware that you can only do it a certain number of times. I would save traffic school for a future ticket.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I received a speeding ticket yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and it felt weird.

I was returning from PetSmart where my wife and I picked up a few items for our new puppy. It was a hot, lazy afternoon, and we weren't trying to get anywhere quickly. (i.e., I was not in my 'sport driving mode'!)

On the way home, I was in the right lane of a 6 lane road (45 MPH speed limit), driving behind 3 other vehicles. (2 of which were SUVs, not sure of the other car) We were not in this lane to pass other cars. I had been in the right lane for 1-2 miles, because my exit was upcoming, and again it was a fairly leisurely afternoon. I was not closely following the SUV right in front of me, because I try to avoid rock chips.

Shortly before my exit, a police truck pulled from a parking lot onto the road behind me. I really thought nothing of it. Just when I exited off the road, my wife told me that the police truck had turned its flashing lights on. I quickly pulled off the road, thinking he needed to get around me to get somewhere quickly.

Well, needless to say, he pulled right off behind me. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I readily admitted that I didn't, and that I had just been following the other vehicles. He said I was travelling 58 in a 45 zone. I apologized, and admitted I hadn't realized that. (I'm sure he was right. I really wasn't sure)

He then gave me a ticket for 9MPH over the speed limit, which apparently was significantly cheaper. He also explained the points and how to get them expunged.

I don't live in a large or wealthy community. I'm sure this officer was a resident and member of the community, and is very cognizant to the economic troubles of his neighbors. It almost felt like this was part of the quota of tickets he needed to write, and that it was better to ticket someone he felt could better afford it.
Please call me crazy if I am. It will probably make me feel better about continuing to drive my Porsche around here. I typically drive an 07 Audi A4, and only drive the Porsche on weekends or when I have a day off. I plan to move back to MN in the not too distant future, and am seriously considering shipping the Porsche back up there, and just using it during my visits up there until I move back permanently.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post!
Kevin
I sense that your account of this "incedent" is very close to fact, and as they say it's just a fact of life that we have to accept & move on. I must say here in So. CA I have spent alot of time driving LA freeways over the last 20 years & you really have to "act out" to get pulled over due to the sheer number of vehicles to choose from. I have only been stopped 1 time in my Yellow Porsche in the 9 years & 87K miles I have owned it & that was at 6:30am with no other cars on the road. 73mph in a 65 zone 3 miles from the 70mph zone.

Last edited by Byprodriver; 07-31-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I got one last week while driving my Audi A7 on a residential 2 lane road for 58mph in a 45mph zone. Officer was driving an SUV and coming down and incline towards me int he opposite lane while I was going down and incline and bend at the same time. I was moving with traffic and thought nothing of it until I got to a light and stopped waiting for it to turn. Noticed the police SUV in the left lane about 2 cars back also waiting for the light. Upon turning green I proceeded thru the intersection and notice the police SUV had now pulled behind me and within about another 1/2 block..flashing lights appeared and I pulled to the side. Was not speeding but was told that "I was speeding and she had to catch me!" How the hell can I be caught when I was stopped at a light for 2 mins or more is beyond me? After the license and registration bit I was given a citation to pay a fine it seems or appear in court in 10 days. As I was moving/leaving the state the very next day I explained that the appearance part was not really possible and was there really no other option to which I was rudely informed to read the citation for directions by the officer. Definately left a bitter taste in my mouth as I was polite, didn't dispute or argue with the officer but basically informed them that the appearance would be problematic and what alternatives I had...I didn't even dispute the speeding issue although the citation SAID I was tracked on radar and I do doubt she would have had time give the closure rate and nature of the road and other traffic to single out a speed on me! This was also the one time I didn't have my radar on me on this road which seems to be a notorious speed trap/revenue generator for the local Sheriffs department.

Anyway I agree that some officers definately profile and revenue hunt certain drivers..I was even asked "If it was a rental car OR did I actually own this car!" I guess cause I have out of state plates in Tx (am military so I don't have to re-register my vehicle every time I change bases). In any event...my impression and experiences have been that whenenver you are driving a nice car or sporty car and an officer changes lanes to follow you or changes directions to go in your same direction...prepare for a traffic stop and some sort of "experience!" Some are good and some are bad as there are all types of officers and jurisdictions...CHP stopped me the week before towing my Porsche to my next duty stop..due to broken tail light on the trailer AND going >55mph (didn't know that was the limit for towed vehicles in CA) AND as he admitted..he wanted to check out my Porsche (he was a fan and an owner of an 83 Carerra)...result though there was some education to CA laws and some good car talk and NO tickets and even directions to my destination! It just depends...I guess.
That sucks... I think it really does depend on the LEO. I was lucky enough to get a warning this past weekend but several years ago an LEO picked my prior m3 out of the middle of a pack of cars going 5-6 miles over the posted hwy limit. I was literally surrounded by other vehicles and I was in the center lane... saw him in the rear of the pack and decided to continue going with the pack/flow of traffic vs. making any drastic maneuvers... flow of traffic got me no slack that day. At 1st he started up with car talk and went on for 10-15mins or so... but in the end I still got a speeding ticket for 6 miles over. Had to blow a weekend at driving school to get it off my record. Only silver lining was being called to jury duty a year later for a traffic related case. After hearing my story the prosecutor deemed that I had one too many priors with traffic LEO and was not fit for jury duty with that particular case. Who knows how many days that would have burnt out of my work schedule. BTW, thanks you for your active service and stay safe.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

if you were maintaning the flow of traffic, you might contend that was the safest approach that day on that road...especially since you weren't even passing anyone
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
if you were maintaning the flow of traffic, you might contend that was the safest approach that day on that road...especially since you weren't even passing anyone
You'd think so but it was likely quota month. Two years ago I was accelerating up a very long hwy on ramp in my wife's SUV... I hit 55mph just prior to merging onto the fwy. Yep, "the on ramp is 45mph sir... not 55 as you were going." The LEO was not about to lesson to any logic about how to properly merge onto hwy traffic as he was too busy handing me the per-written ticket so he could crawled back in between the trees adjacent to the on ramp as quickly as possible... he needed to ticket the next driver as this was his cash cow for the evening. I wanted to post an LEO toll booth sign at the beginning of the on ramp to forewarn others. That was back in 2009. I know the city was short on revenues but that was just Bovine Excrement. Some LEO are decent and good... others not so much.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Kevin,
with all due respect, you are being a drama queen.

Lets look at the facts:
1. You were speeding
2. You were in a 911

Could you say you were targeted? sure. But your excuse of "everybody else was doing it too" doesn't really garner much sympathy. If you get picked up on a burglary charge and your defense is "well, other people were stealing too and I only stole a dvd player, they stole a 60" tv", I don't think you are getting off.

If one ticket for 9 over (he gave you a break mind you), causes you to want to sell the car, maybe it wasn't the right car for you to begin with.
Agreed. I have had my 996 / 997 for 7 years. And have not had 1 single ticket. And trust me, I'm no angel. I have been very lucky but have also seen a cop go by me to get an M3 that was going quite a bit faster than me. I have ridden next to CHP officers going above the speed limit. As long as you dont pass them or arent going faster than the flow or arent 10mph over - they generally leave you alone.

Now - guarantee i will get a ticket in the next few weeks as i have jinxed myself.

To the OP, if you think they are after you due to your Porsche - hmmm I'd disagree. I have found its just luck of the draw. Got more tix in my M3 and Mercedes SL. But dont think that means anything either..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Take a hearing. You have nothing to lose.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if your State has any website like this one.....
www.ticketassassin.com

Never used them, no affiliation etc. But they seem to have a gameplan.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket