Trials and Tubielations

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trials and Tubielations

I picked up a used Tubi cat-back system from a member here, Mike, a real stand up guy
He was in Georgia, me in Arizona, so prior to calling him, I pondered how to handle the transaction with no risk to either. I talked to him a few minutes, and when this subject came up, he said, "you're a Rennlister, and you pronounce "Porsche" with 2 syllables. I'll ship it you today. Mail me a check".
Nothing like doing business the old fashioned way - with trust!

I figured I'd tackle this myself, as I read a bunch of threads here, learned a ton, and hopefully someone else can learn something from my experience.

A good friend of mine, who's a decent wrench, gave me a hand. That cost me a "Baconator" at Wendys afterwards, and $100 donation.....

We had the car stripped in about an hour, in the following sequence:

Tail lights - didn't even disconnect these - just a piece of bubble wrap and some tape to the back glass to hold them up.
Rear bumper cover - there's a few real bitch fasteners closest to the rear wheels.
Bumper - 2 bolts - easy peasy
Side Heat Shields
Exhaust from the cats back. We removed the side mufflers intact, and transferred the hardware to the Tubi after we had them off the car.

We did not jack the car - I was prepared to, but we just wallowed a bit on the ground occaisionally.

Here's cell phone pics of the car stripped, and with the Tubi installed.
I'd go into more detail, but there are threads here already that are written far better than I can!

It took us about 2 hours to put everything back together. We had trouble with the left side exhaust tip of all things, as the left muffler exit pipe was a little out of round. Some dainty hammer tapping fixed that. The only other parts we used were new cat flange gaskets. We did reuse the pipe couplers from the stock system, as Tubi does not supply these.

I took a couple videos, for a sound comparison, as it seems most folks want to know the difference before and after. I can say it's louder at idle, and all rpm's above that. As others that have done this say, above 3500 rpm or so, you get a much better "wail", or "fraap" or "braap".

Here's a youtube link to the before:

Here's a link to after:

Interior sound is louder, and I have a cab, but it's not obtrusive. I had a hard time not grinning

I learn quite a lot about these cars here, and hopefully another member can benefit from this. Thanks to all that post their experiences here
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Congrats. When you say Tubi cat back system, does that mean the whole Tubi system to include mufflers etc? I need to get off my **** and do this... Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Got the Tubi a month ago and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Tom
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
Congrats. When you say Tubi cat back system, does that mean the whole Tubi system to include mufflers etc? I need to get off my **** and do this... Enjoy.
In the first cell phone pic you can see the two trianular flanges facing you. That's the exit of the catalitic converters, and where the Tubi system I bought starts. On the 3.8L 997.2's, exhaust exits first through the headers, then the cats, , then the center silencer, then the side mufflers, and out your exhaust tips.

This system includes the 2 side mufflers and the cross over pipes. The crossover pipes eliminates the center silencer that comes on the car from the factory.

I've read various HP increase claims, but I was after the sound. I previously had a 997.1 C2S with PSE, and loved the sound from that car with the PSE open. I would say this is a tad quieter than that was at lower RPM's, and louder over 4k rpm's and up.

If your considering it, I would obviously recommend it, and if your handy with tools, it's a DIY. You don't mess with O2 sensors or ECU flashes, and it hasn't thrown a CEL. (hear knocking on wood sound)

Last edited by PHX 911; 01-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Got the Tubi a month ago and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Tom
You're one of the guys whose threads I was following.
It's all your fault
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
In the first cell phone pic you can see the two trianular flanges facing you. That's the exit of the catalitic converters, and where the Tubi system I bought starts. On the 3.8L 997.2's, exhaust exits first through the headers, then the cats, then the side mufflers, then the center silencer, and out your exhaust tips.

This system includes the 2 side mufflers and the cross over or "X" pipes. The crossover pipes eliminates the center silencer that comes on the car from the factory.

I've read various HP increase claims, but I was after the sound. I previously had a 997.1 C2S with PSE, and loved the sound from that car with the PSE open. I would say this is a tad quieter than that was at lower RPM's, and louder over 4k rpm's and up.

If your considering it, I would obviously recommend it, and if your handy with tools, it's a DIY. You don't mess with O2 sensors or ECU flashes, and it hasn't thrown a CEL. (hear knocking on wood sound)
Thanks. I am not handy, unfortunately. So, will do it through a shop.

I think that's a good combo. Not crazy at low revs and loud when you want it to be...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
You're one of the guys whose threads I was following.
It's all your fault
It grows on me every time I'm in the car........I'm only sorry I waited 2 years to do it! Missed a lot of wonderful sounds!

It's funny I had a Fabspeed in my 2001 and it sounded nothing like this........not nearly as deep and rich and loud at 4K and up! It's why i wasn't going to do one again but my nephew kept nagging me........amd wouldn't you know the 25 year old kid was right!

I hope you enjoy yours for many years of happy driving!

Best,

Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thanks. I am not handy, unfortunately. So, will do it through a shop.

I think that's a good combo. Not crazy at low revs and loud when you want it to be...
After driving it another day, I'd add that it doesn't really matter what rpm you're at, but more dependent on throttle position, which I guess equates to rpm's, but the sound is proportional to the position of your right foot.
I looked into installation costs at a couple local indy's and the dealer. Indy's were at $500, and the dealer at $600, which after doing it, I would consider to be relatively reasonable.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Great post and sound. Man I am getting an AWE exhaust on my 997.2 C4S and picking it up this week and can't wait to see/hear it. Thought about the Tubi but since I already had an AWE crosspipe and tips on the car figured best to complete the system. Also what color is that cab? it looks great!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Great post and sound. Man I am getting an AWE exhaust on my 997.2 C4S and picking it up this week and can't wait to see/hear it. Thought about the Tubi but since I already had an AWE crosspipe and tips on the car figured best to complete the system. Also what color is that cab? it looks great!
Porsche calls the color "macadamia".
I have a cocoa leather interior and top, so the whole car is pretty much brown.
thanks for the compliment!

Quick Reply: Trials and Tubielations