Sponsored by:

Can Damptronics be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can Damptronics be repaired?

I installed a used set of Bilstein Damptronics on my 2006 C2S cab 2 1/2 years ago. They had about 5000 miles when purchased (apparently), and I've put another 23,000 miles on them. The right front coil-over started making noises after long drives a while back, and after numerous unsuccessful attempts with dealers and Indy's to have the source of noise (clunking sound) identified over the past year or so, my new local Indy finally found that the right front coil-over is the culprit. There is no apparent problem on shorter drives, but after long drives, presumably when things are warmer inside the shock, this metallic rattle/clunking starts to present itself and can be heard best when driving slowly (when there is less road noise). My Indy was able to replicate it just by tugging back and forth on the strut when right front was sitting on a jack stand. It sounds like the internal piston is clunking against the housing. I had him remove all 4 Damptronics and put my factory struts back on since I wasn't motivated to buy a new set of Damptronics.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have these repaired/rebuilt? (There is no warranty since I'm not the original purchaser).
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Their website gives some information regarding repair services. Why don't you contact them?

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...e/service.html
Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Their website gives some information regarding repair services. Why don't you contact them?

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...e/service.html
Thanks. I had seen that website and left a message on Friday, but thought I'd see if anyone had experience doing it.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Well, Bilstein US called me back and I was happy to hear that they can rebuild the struts for $150 each. It currently takes about 6 weeks, but since I had my factory struts put back on, I can wait.

Quick Reply: Can Damptronics be repaired?