Sponsored by:

AWE Exhaust...VS PSE VS Tubi

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default AWE Exhaust...VS PSE VS Tubi

I have been looking for a nice growling exhaust. I have narrowed it down to two. AWE or PSE. I have looked at Tubi but i can get so much more from AWE. PSE would be $4500 installed out the door. (mufflers only)
AWE would be $3490 plus $600 install total $4090 but it would include mufflers and Hi-Flow Cat sections.
Tubi $2550 and they do not make the cat section.

So, i am looking for some opinions. I do like the AWE option with the cats.

Thank you in advance.

John
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for strictly a noise mod, everyone speaks very highly of the Fister mod:
http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-997-one
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm installing Tubi tomorrow. I found a used cat back system for a decent price.
I'll do a video (for sound) before and after, and post that up.
You can always do the gundo hack for a "cost effective" sound enhancement.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent my side (secondary) mufflers out to Darin Fister the day before yesterday. If you're patient and you are willing to deal a little you can get the sound you're looking for for a whole lot less money than you're looking at going the two routes you are considering. Keep in mind most likely what you put on will have to be talken off and replaced with OEM parts when you're finished with the car, so saving money makes sense. I considered buying the used Tubi in the parts list recently, but I already have cross pipes on my car, so it seemed overkill to rebuy the primary muffler bypass pipes.

I've already done the Sharkwerks primary muffler bypass pipes (very easy), but the sound improvement is maybe a 4 out of 10 in my opinion. Definitely better than stock, but far from spectacular. So then I began to think about the side (secondary) mufflers ALOT..... I purchased a barely used set of secondary mufflers, with OEM dual tips S on eBay last week. For really, really stupid cheap. So soup to nuts I should get amazing sound for $775 (whick includes $150 for shipping the mufflers to CA and back) since I can install it all myself- neither job is beyond a 3 out of 10 in difficulty. I already sold the dual tips to a friend who wanted them for his base Carrera.

Just use a little creativity, exercise some patience, and you can get the job done for super-cheap. If you need the on/off dash switch of the PSE, then maybe that would be the route to go. If you don't need the switch, then the Fister Mod is the way to go. Just try to mod a second set of mufflers so you have your OEM mufflers to put back on later.

There is a great sound clip of the Fister Mod on 6speedonline. I think it's titled something like "Fister Mod (similar to the Gundo Hack). Check it out before spending big money on your desire for more sound.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

All great ideas and thank you all. Does anybody know if the OEM mufflers from 997.1 fit any 997.1, i.e. C4S, 2S or just a plain non S 997.1? In other words are all OEM mufflers identical from 2005 to 2008??

Thank you,

John
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Just a fast correction. I added things up wrong... the complete exhaust mod will run me $1040. I left the cost of the Fister Mod ($265) off of my calculation. Oops.

The exhausts on all 997.2 cars (not including GT cars) w/o PSE are the exact same. Not sure about the 997.1 cars.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is how are the Fister and Gundo mods different? I've seen pics of both; aren't they the same....or have I missed a subtle nuance?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

The Fister Mod is really just a Gundo Hack done 100% right. Stainless pipe, and welded to look nice when it's finished. Darin uses 1.75" stainless pipe and has tons of experience doing it, so he knows how to get the right tone every time. Any muffler shop can do the Gundo Hack, but the results may not be what you hoped for. Keep in mind they're hacking $600+ (each) mufflers if anything gets botched. Some of the welds I've seen pictures of actually have made me laugh out loud, and the pipe being used isn't stainless, either. The result looks like it was done by monkeys. Why not spend a little more money and be sure what you are getting is done right?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Some of my friends have done the Gundo and the really like it. You can probably find someone locally to do it for you and do a fine job. Even if you went to a welder that would tig it with 304ss instead of the mig stuff that will corrode and look like hell. I've been thinking about the Gundo.

Last edited by Spokane5150; 08-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Slamuth
Racer

I've been pondering the Gundo for awhile. Wish I could catch someone locally with the mod, so I can have a live sound demo. Heard plenty of online samples though.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

The Gundo sounds pretty much exactly like PSE in the "on" setting. So if you're curious go take a trip down to your P-car dealer. The principal is the same- allow some of the exhaust to bypass the muffler. So the sound will be essentially the same.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHX 911
I'm installing Tubi tomorrow. I found a used cat back system for a decent price.
I'll do a video (for sound) before and after, and post that up.
You can always do the gundo hack for a "cost effective" sound enhancement.
PHX911,

I am curious to know how hard will it be to get the mufflers off. I did take a peek at mine tonight and it seems some of the bolts might need to be cut off since there is too much rust on them. It looks like the ones that connect the mufflers to the cats, the others seem fine.

Have you looked at ordering all these bolts from the dealer? If so do you happen to have the part numbers?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Will you be doing a write up on this?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 PM
911 Doug
Track Day

+ one for Gundo or the Fister mod...

I bought an extra set of Carrera S mufflers off of Ebay with 4K miles for $150. Local muffler shop charged $80 to weld in 2 inch stainless pipes with stainless welds. Local independent shop charged $95 to swap out my orginal mufflers for the Gundo modded mufflers. I am in Gundo exhaust sonic heaven for $325 and I still have my original mufflers for re-sale of the car later. This mod sounds almost identical to PSE for $4000 less installed. I came close to shelling out several K for Tubi Style mufflers. I am now glad I didn't. Your mileage may vary...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
I just sent my side (secondary) mufflers out to Darin Fister the day before yesterday. If you're patient and you are willing to deal a little you can get the sound you're looking for for a whole lot less money than you're looking at going the two routes you are considering. Keep in mind most likely what you put on will have to be talken off and replaced with OEM parts when you're finished with the car, so saving money makes sense. I considered buying the used Tubi in the parts list recently, but I already have cross pipes on my car, so it seemed overkill to rebuy the primary muffler bypass pipes.

I've already done the Sharkwerks primary muffler bypass pipes (very easy), but the sound improvement is maybe a 4 out of 10 in my opinion. Definitely better than stock, but far from spectacular. So then I began to think about the side (secondary) mufflers ALOT..... I purchased a barely used set of secondary mufflers, with OEM dual tips S on eBay last week. For really, really stupid cheap. So soup to nuts I should get amazing sound for $775 (whick includes $150 for shipping the mufflers to CA and back) since I can install it all myself- neither job is beyond a 3 out of 10 in difficulty. I already sold the dual tips to a friend who wanted them for his base Carrera.

Just use a little creativity, exercise some patience, and you can get the job done for super-cheap. If you need the on/off dash switch of the PSE, then maybe that would be the route to go. If you don't need the switch, then the Fister Mod is the way to go. Just try to mod a second set of mufflers so you have your OEM mufflers to put back on later.

There is a great sound clip of the Fister Mod on 6speedonline. I think it's titled something like "Fister Mod (similar to the Gundo Hack). Check it out before spending big money on your desire for more sound.
I'm not seeing on the Fister site the bypass for a 997.2, just for a 997.1. Works for both?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Doug
+ one for Gundo or the Fister mod...

I bought an extra set of Carrera S mufflers off of Ebay with 4K miles for $150. Local muffler shop charged $80 to weld in 2 inch stainless pipes with stainless welds. Local independent shop charged $95 to swap out my orginal mufflers for the Gundo modded mufflers. I am in Gundo exhaust sonic heaven for $325 and I still have my original mufflers for re-sale of the car later. This mod sounds almost identical to PSE for $4000 less installed. I came close to shelling out several K for Tubi Style mufflers. I am now glad I didn't. Your mileage may vary...

Your pricing is exceptionally low. I have seen real hack jobs on attempted Gundo hacks. If an expert custom muffler shop does the work and they can properly weld stainless steel bypass with proper welding materials, you are close to $300 - $350 installed. And that is using your mufflers.

You can get it cheaper but not stainless, not stainless welding materials and it looks like high school auto shop project. Make it easy on yourself and go to FD Motorports and get a quality product.

Quick Reply: AWE Exhaust...VS PSE VS Tubi