DFI engine in a non DFI Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM
JMon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFI engine in a non DFI Car?

Anyone do this?
Any idea what it will take? (Fuel pumps, Fuel lines, Computers etc)
Was there any changes in terms of mounting points, transmission coupling?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JMon
Anyone do this?
Why? I would think the preference would be the other way around - non-DFI engine into a DFI car.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Like a whole new expensive wire harness. Sell you car minus engine for money towards the 997.1 gt3 that you really should have.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone do this?
BGB motorsdports did that on as cayman but they replaced whole electrical harness and all sensors in the whole car. that requires a donor DFI car pretty much. Mount points on 997.2 cars and 997.1 cars are same, and most electricals are same. but there are differencies for sure.

theoretically it should be possible (IMHO) to replace engine and ECU only if you will make an adapter for siemens ECU connector to get same layout of pins as Bosch ECU connector has. I _think_ it _may_ be possible but you need to get schematics and do some research.

To pay somebody to replace whole electrical system in the car is cost prohobitive, it will be much cheaper to dump your roller and buy new DFI car outright.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

How are your electrical skills... you'll need excellent mechanical skills as well to properly reroute the donor wiring harness throughout the car. If you've done this type of work on another car(doesn't have to be Porsche) then go for it. We'd love to see a write on this... but if it's your 1st go at it then you may end up devaluing your existing roller if it's not done properly. Of course, if you strip down the roller, gut it for track use, then the rewire should be easier to do and you don't have to worry about cosmetic fit. I agree with the others... get a rebuilt motor from a good shop.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Which engine is considered better?

Which engine responds better to modifications?

Has realiability been an issue with either engine?

The DI engine makes another 20-25 hp correct?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
JMon
Instructor

I do quite well on the electrical aspects of the car, but I won't be doing the work. I don't have the time. The only reason I’m considering this is I actually found a used DFI engine with 2700 miles. Price is right and I could put the difference between the non-dfi into labor and additional parts.
I’ve heard the new DFI engines addressed some of the issues like the IMS.

mdrums: I had made up my mind to buy Erick's GT3 RS. I wanted to look at it first. Just didn't get around to the decision in time. So I am still searching for a GT3. Daytona is only 12 weeks away and I gotta get moving on an engine for my car or a new car!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Basically not worth it! The only engine I would consider to replace yours would be a GT3 engine... now have no idea if that fits, but it makes much more sense.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

You found an engine, does it come with ECU? It may be a problem if not. This may be very expensive if given to a shop, so, check first with those who will be doing the job on what they will tell you
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Have you considered one of Jake Raby's beefed-up "bulletproofed" M96s? That's what I'd put in mine if given the choIce between that and a Porsche reman crate engine.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I do quite well on the electrical aspects of the car, but I won't be doing the work. I don't have the time. The only reason I’m considering this is I actually found a used DFI engine with 2700 miles. Price is right and I could put the difference between the non-dfi into labor and additional parts.
I’ve heard the new DFI engines addressed some of the issues like the IMS.

mdrums: I had made up my mind to buy Erick's GT3 RS. I wanted to look at it first. Just didn't get around to the decision in time. So I am still searching for a GT3. Daytona is only 12 weeks away and I gotta get moving on an engine for my car or a new car!
Yep, you need to make a decision and get your butt in gear.

Quick Reply: DFI engine in a non DFI Car?