PCM3 bluetooth PIN needed - not with car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Fizgig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM3 bluetooth PIN needed - not with car

Hi All

Just upgraded from a 996 into a 997. Been trying to pair my phone and its asking me for the PIN....

Now this is a fair question, except i don;t know it and its not written anywhere in the books i got with the car. I bought from a dealer who got it via trade, so not even easy to get hold of it from previous owner..

Does anyone know if there was a factory standard pin ( i've tried 0000, 1234 to no effect), or is there a way of getting this reset?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizgig

Hi All

Just upgraded from a 996 into a 997. Been trying to pair my phone and its asking me for the PIN....

Now this is a fair question, except i don;t know it and its not written anywhere in the books i got with the car. I bought from a dealer who got it via trade, so not even easy to get hold of it from previous owner..

Does anyone know if there was a factory standard pin ( i've tried 0000, 1234 to no effect), or is there a way of getting this reset?

Thanks
Just make one up and make sure it's the same on your phone and the PCM, at least that's my recollection of how I paired my phones.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:55 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe use the last 4 digits of your phone number for phone and car
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 454 Posts

PCM 3.1 usually asks you to input the PIN it shows on the screen into your phone and then pairs that way. No pre-established PIN. In my C4S and my wife's Panamera you go to Find Telephones and then make sure your phone is in pairing mode then select it on the touchscreen when it shows up. It then gives you a pairing code to enter in your phone and then you enter it and both pair up. Hope this works. Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I think these Bluetooth units are usually asking for the pin you use on the phone. Come to think of it though, I don't think I was asked by my 12 997.2 for a pin when I paired my iPhone.
Good luck
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Fizgig
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback all.

Its my phone requesting the pin, not the headunit. However, when i go into the PCM to change the PIN i need the current one to do so..... Frustrating
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
PCM 3.1 usually asks you to input the PIN it shows on the screen into your phone and then pairs that way. No pre-established PIN. In my C4S and my wife's Panamera you go to Find Telephones and then make sure your phone is in pairing mode then select it on the touchscreen when it shows up. It then gives you a pairing code to enter in your phone and then you enter it and both pair up. Hope this works. Good Luck.
+1 - This is exactly how mine paired. Could be that there is something different about pairing/cell phone standards in the UK.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Fizgig
Track Day

Sorted it, i ticked "use last pin" and then tried 0000 and it worked :-)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no embedded PIN when pairing bluetooth devices.

When pairing you enter a PIN on one of the devices and then on the other device you need to confirm the PIN. The only option is which end initiates the pairing.

What has worked well is turning on bluetooth in the phone (if not already) and then using the PCM screen to initiate pairing by having the PCM search for bluetooth devices, then picking your phone when it pops up and entering a pin (you make it up) on the PCM. You then confirm that PIN on the phone keypad and should then be all set.

Now if your phone has had the advanced features and settings locked and protected with a PIN, thats a phone hardware security setting and has nothing to do with bluetooth or the car. I've seen phone companies typically initially set those PINs to the last 4 of the phone number assigned to the phone. You'd want to set it to something meaningful and different.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

...and whatever you do, write it down in your log book so that you don't have this issue again in two years when you wind up buying a new battery and all memories go to 000000.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Fizgig
Track Day

Problem sorted

Turns out the bluetooth connectivity on my PCM is an imbeded Dansion Gateway 500 ( have the ipod capability too). This has a factory set "0000", for some reason it wouldn;t work at first, but then ... well, it just did.

Now all paired and working and i have to say i'm very impressed with the dension Kit, its integration is seamless and i have full usage through the headunit, wouldn't know it wasn't factory fitted !

Quick Reply: PCM3 bluetooth PIN needed - not with car