Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY or dealer 60k service when car is CPO

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012 | 10:10 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Default DIY or dealer 60k service when car is CPO

My next service will be 60k miles. This is probably a question for my local dealer but was wondering if anyone here has an answer...

I can change the plugs, air filter, cabin filter and oil myself using the excellent guides people have written on this forum. However doing so you have no proof that the work has been performed other than receipts for parts. I enjoy working on the car and don't like paying someone for things I am able to do myself.

Does it affect the CPO warranty if a scheduled service is not performed by a dealer? I don't want to end up saving money performing a service only to find that the CPO is no longer valid (or not valid on the most expensive part).

Does it affect resale value when major services are performed by an individual rather than by the dealer? I wouldn't be worried about oil changes as I would feel they were looking after the car but a major service might make me think they were trying to save money and not maintaining the car properly.

John
Old 07-07-2012 | 01:55 PM
JasonKM
Racer

technically does not impact warranty if service is done by qualified indy, but giving the business to the dealer may help if you need someone to plead your case in the future on warranty work
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:26 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

If you can do everything yourself I would go ahead and do it. The plugs are an absolute bear (esp. the last 2) everything else for the 60k services is manageable. If you were to sell the car I would think that the buyer would appreciate your DIYing = you really know your way around the car and know its history well vs. someone who took to stealer every time and had no clue about anything.

Also, from what I recall parts needed for the 60k were around 800$ for DIYing vs. having the stealer do it for $2k+.
Old 07-08-2012 | 10:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

The only advantage of using a Dealer for maintenance is that they will be your advocate for any good will claims, at least my Dealer has. I've been using the same Dealer for about 20 years. They do great work, send me discount coupons every year which make their service price tolerable, and over the years got Porsche to cover a few mechanical issues after the warranty expired. I'd estimate that the good will was worth at least a couple thousand.

Quick Reply: DIY or dealer 60k service when car is CPO