Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer provided incorrect crush washers in oil filter kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
iPhoneEngineer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer provided incorrect crush washers in oil filter kit?

Hey guys,

First time changing the oil on my 2012 Turbo S (1340 miles). I'm disturbed to find after draining the oil that the two washers provided in the oil filter kit from the dealership are not a match for what was on the drain plug.

Are these for the 997.1 or something? I very clearly stated my model year when picking up the filter kit. Also, why are there two? The oil filter cap o-ring fit fine, but I don't see where a second single-use washer is. In the photo, the left washer is the used one, and the two on the right were provided in the kit.

I have searched all across the web and just can't find solid information about this. Some people mention copper rings, others the aluminum alloy, and the .1 vs .2 distinction is often not made clear. Thanks for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Are the inside diameters the same? I believe these all will work. The different sizes have to due with the crushability of the different types of metal. harder material means the width has to be thinner.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
iPhoneEngineer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the IDs are different. The copper one is so thin that it fits within the size of the the crushed one, but its outer diameter is closer than the inner one, and I worry its thinness will damage the mating surface by focusing the force in too small an area. If it were crushed out to be the right width, it would be pretty thin (in depth)--more so than the existing washer.

The larger one is totally bizarre because it is clearly too large; wouldn't even be possible to put the bolt back in.
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the 997, but the 996TT has 4 different drain points and 3 different crush washers required. You can't compare a crushed washer to it's replacement.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect the two washers you are showing are for the oil tank (copper) and the crankcase (aluminum). Two of the drain points. On my car you also drain a small reservoir on each of the turbos (aluminum washers).

They may be the wrong sizes indeed, but you need to find a good DIY on a 997TT oil change and make sure you know what you are dealing with.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here,
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//90012310630.html

this is the crush washer i use my on 997. Its fits over the plug w/ some room to spare like your cooper version. I think the torque (30 ft lb?) is so low that it wont damage the pan.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did order the kit for the 997TT and not the NA 997, right? They are completely different motors with completely different oiling systems.

Quick Reply: Dealer provided incorrect crush washers in oil filter kit?