Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997.2S - Any recent service campaigns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 997.2S - Any recent service campaigns?

I don't post much but try to keep up with the threads and tried a search but didn't seem to find anything - apologies in advance if I missed prior threads....

Have any 997.2S service campaigns arisen in the past year?

I'll be going in for my 3d annual service in a few weeks. Almost 20K trouble-free miles. My fuel pump was replaced as part of the recall last year, and my oil level continues to read properly - no unusual oil consumption. The original OEM Pirellis in front and the 2d rear set are almost worn, so while I'm in the shop I'll have installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I ordered from Tire Rack before the latest Michelin rebate ended. I'm wondering if there are any campaigns I should be asking my service advisor about?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

None that I know of. My car was in 3 weeks ago for a service. I've got 17,000 miles. It wasnt a major. But while it was in, I had it CPO'ed (purchased it off lease). Car passed with flying colors.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There was the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) issue. Not sure if this was in the last year or prior to that.

Had it done on my '09 C2S, didn't notice any difference.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SY-997
I don't post much but try to keep up with the threads and tried a search but didn't seem to find anything - apologies in advance if I missed prior threads....

Have any 997.2S service campaigns arisen in the past year?

I'll be going in for my 3d annual service in a few weeks. Almost 20K trouble-free miles. My fuel pump was replaced as part of the recall last year, and my oil level continues to read properly - no unusual oil consumption. The original OEM Pirellis in front and the 2d rear set are almost worn, so while I'm in the shop I'll have installed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I ordered from Tire Rack before the latest Michelin rebate ended. I'm wondering if there are any campaigns I should be asking my service advisor about?

Thanks in advance.
Nothing important since you've already done the high-pressure-fuel pump. A minor issue has arisen with some of the micro-switches that tell the computer the clutch is depressed fully before it will start the car. Mine began failing to recognize I had depressed the clutch at about 34000. It was a reliability issue for me, so I took it in for inspection and they replaced the switch. Took no time at all.

I was told the guidance is to replace it as soon as the owner complains of even occasional refusals to engage the starter. If you want to wait and see, just don't mention it. If you'd rather get it out of the way, tell the service writer "the car just won't turn over sometimes." That will do it.

I think you'll love the MPSS tires. My set has been great so far, both on track and off.

Gary
Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Gary !

Battery just went on mine.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

One simple mod that will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. Trade it for a GT3.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Thanks all for the inputs. Gary is your remark about micro switches directed at manual trannys? I should have mentioned I have PDK - I thought I've read you also have PDK. My guess is you're referring to computer switches for the clutch, which would leads me to infer PDK since the manual clutch would have a manual switch. FWIW I haven't had any starting issues, but as the car will be going off warranty in less than a year, I'll request the work if relevant. Adias also suggested I inquire about PDK re-calibration now that the car is broken in, which I intend to do.

I'll follow a straight line from my service advisor's desk to the loaner car person - don't want to tempt myself with any "mods" in the sales dept!

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SY-997
Thanks all for the inputs. Gary is your remark about micro switches directed at manual trannys? I should have mentioned I have PDK - I thought I've read you also have PDK.
Yes, it's a six-speed issue. Actually, nothing to do with the transmission at all, but one of those hinky safety features of the last dozen years or so. The design intent is to make it impossible to start the engine with the clutch engaged. PDK units have something similar, but the switch I'm talking about is the implementation for three-pedal cars.

Gary
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Thank you. Good to learn.

I'll update this thread if I'm told there's any campaigns.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Yes, it's a six-speed issue. Actually, nothing to do with the transmission at all, but one of those hinky safety features of the last dozen years or so. The design intent is to make it impossible to start the engine with the clutch engaged. PDK units have something similar, but the switch I'm talking about is the implementation for three-pedal cars.

Gary
Appreciate the note on this. I've had some random 'will not turn over' issues, very seldomly I thought it may have been me (as in turn to start car and nothing happens). Just released clutch and repressed and it will turn over. Will have it looked at as I'm due for 3 yr soon.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Appreciate the note on this. I've had some random 'will not turn over' issues, very seldomly I thought it may have been me (as in turn to start car and nothing happens). Just released clutch and repressed and it will turn over. Will have it looked at as I'm due for 3 yr soon.
That sounds like the switch. That's the way it started for me... or started failing to start that is.

Gary
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
alirob
Intermediate

I just had the oil level sensor replaced on my 09 997.2S. It has 9000 miles on the odometer.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

That sounds like the switch. That's the way it started for me... or started failing to start that is.

Gary
Thanks for the heads-up on this. Mine is doing the same thing. I turn the key (with the clutch depressed) and nothing happens. Try again, and it works. Not comforting.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Gary
Originally Posted by stiles_s
Thanks for the heads-up on this. Mine is doing the same thing. I turn the key (with the clutch depressed) and nothing happens. Try again, and it works. Not comforting.
Same for me and when I took it in for my 3 year service I mentioned it and the switch was replaced no questions asked.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There is not a campaign per se but a number of people (myself included) have had the PDK report out various forms of failure messages and invoke "emergency run" or similar status. In my case there was no physical transmission problem (all gears were fine). But I did stop the car, turn it off, let it sit a couple minutes and re-start. All messages cleared up and none remained in the OBC message bank. I took the car to the dealer and had them double check, and they confirmed no lingering problems. If you have had any of this type of symptom you may want to let your tech know so they can test as well.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2S - Any recent service campaigns?