Sponsored by:

corroded brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default corroded brakes

my '97 carrera s with 17 K miles just required new rotors and pads due to corrosion (not wear). Porsche of NA refused to cover this $2000 bill

I use the car year round, even in the winters

has anybody else had a similar problem?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send this over to the 993 forum!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Is that 17,000 miles since your last brake job or 17,000 miles on the original 15 year old brakes?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

OP, was that a typo? Did you mean '07 Carrera S?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What is corroded rotors? Never heard of this and I've been working on brakes for a long time.
Also you can purchase new rotors and pads from the dealer for $1000 easy and Channing these parts take an hour working slowly and dealer hour rate is probably around $100....$2k...wow you got ripped off big time!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any surface corrosion I've ever had on any rotors is quickly gone after applying the brakes.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
Any surface corrosion I've ever had on any rotors is quickly gone after applying the brakes.
+1 yep
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What is corroded rotors? Never heard of this and I've been working on brakes for a long time.
Also you can purchase new rotors and pads from the dealer for $1000 easy and Channing these parts take an hour working slowly and dealer hour rate is probably around $100....$2k...wow you got ripped off big time!
Believe it or not this is a real problem for Porsches in the UK.

I've seen reports of heavily corroded rotors -- the inside surfaces -- to the point the rotor metal is flaking off.

I can't help but think there is a metallurgical problem (explanation) for this extreme corrosion. I have seen new/used cars parked up for months with no more rust build up that can be easily removed with a couple of hard braking events provided -- this is *important*! -- the car is not brought to a stop until after a few of these are done -- with no problems.

But IIRC in every case Porsche refused to cover the rotors under warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Believe it or not this is a real problem for Porsches in the UK.

I've seen reports of heavily corroded rotors -- the inside surfaces -- to the point the rotor metal is flaking off.

I can't help but think there is a metallurgical problem (explanation) for this extreme corrosion. I have seen new/used cars parked up for months with no more rust build up that can be easily removed with a couple of hard braking events provided -- this is *important*! -- the car is not brought to a stop until after a few of these are done -- with no problems.

But IIRC in every case Porsche refused to cover the rotors under warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Yes, I had that problem in the uk with my 2002 boxster @18 months old and ~18k miles. Iirc I had to cover the labor costs after some argument
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

You were lucky to get that. In some cases it looked to me the owner had a legitimate warranty claim but I think I can count on the thumb of one hand the number of times any warranty claim was successful.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry! of course i mean 2007!

my 996 had the same problem
Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Where do you live? Are the roads salted during the winter? Coastal location perhaps? I power wash my rotors every so often to get brake dust out of the rotors but I wonder if that might help in your case as well if salt is a factor. If you have some mechanical skills... changing the brakes and rotors yourself on these cars is straight forward and would save you some $$$ if this is a recurring environmental issue.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Where do you live? Are the roads salted during the winter? Coastal location perhaps? I power wash my rotors every so often to get brake dust out of the rotors but I wonder if that might help in your case as well if salt is a factor. If you have some mechanical skills... changing the brakes and rotors yourself on these cars is straight forward and would save you some $$$ if this is a recurring environmental issue.
Just to add when I lived and drove my Porsche in the winter with salted roads a very insidious thing would occur.

Snowy slush with salt and grit would pack up in the wheel wells.

When I parked the car up at night in an inside but unheated garage the heat of the car would melt this and drip salt water on the wheels and brake hardware.

Because I was aware of this I would sometimes leave the car outside to limit the melt of this nasty slushy/ice or visit a car wash near the house and use the rinse setting of the wand -- the rinse water was heated some -- to melt this snow/salty slush away and give the wheels/brakes a good rinsing.

The brakes stayed corrosion free the several winters I spent in that area.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
sorry! of course i mean 2007!

my 996 had the same problem
May sound like a strange question, but what is your car wash routine?

Do you wash it, drive it into the garage and let it sit?

Or, do you wash it, then drive it sufficiently to dry off the brakes, then park it?

If the former, I've found that greatly contributes to brake corrosion; including parking-brake issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Snowy slush with salt and grit would pack up in the wheel wells.

When I parked the car up at night in an inside but unheated garage the heat of the car would melt this and drip salt water on the wheels and brake hardware.

Because I was aware of this I would sometimes leave the car outside to limit the melt of this nasty slushy/ice or visit a car wash near the house and use the rinse setting of the wand -- the rinse water was heated some -- to melt this snow/salty slush away and give the wheels/brakes a good rinsing.

The brakes stayed corrosion free the several winters I spent in that area.
For the body parts that leads to possible crevice corrosion at all hem flange sites, bottom of doors, bottom of deck lids and the top of the wheel wells. This is a problem on galvanized steel as well. It will just take longer.

Quick Reply: corroded brakes