Sponsored by:

Ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
At first i had my doubts but now i love them. Its especially for a Cab due to the heat soak. However I've always wondered, is a there a filter somewhere? I mean its sucking the air, presumably stinky right?
I doubt that there is a filter, but I could be wrong. My guess is that the fans just put the air into the cabin (not an issue if you have a 'vert). The normal HVAC then deals with it in it's normal way. In reality, the air is no more stinky than it would be if you didn't have ventilated seats. In fact it's probably less stinky as the air doesn't hang out in the space between the seating surfaces and your sweaty, stinky body for as long.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 PM
alirob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately Ive been doubting whether they are working or not. I can't find "ventilated seats" on the wiring diagram to check the fuse.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 PM
alwaysideways
5th Gear

Sorry for the newb question but what year did this option become available?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysideways
Sorry for the newb question but what year did this option become available?
This option first became available in the 2009 model year cars.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM
RedHotCayenne
4th Gear

Ventilated seats are a must! I first experienced them in my Infiniti FX35. When I was searching for my Pcar, I restricted my search to only those equipped with this option. I ended up getting a 2012 4S Cab. The ventilated seats are definitely worth it - they work independent of the A/C and, even when not in use, I find the perforated seats to be more comfortable ("airy") than the standard 911 seats. Also, point of comparison - the Infiniti approach is to blow air while the Porsche sucks air. Both systems work, but in my opinion, the Porsche approach works better.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, because the sucking of air is more effective at pulling perspiration through your clothes and off of your skin, which is the evaporative effect that cools you. With the blown approach, the restriction of where the air can exit at the sides of your body would seem to limit cooling in the middle unless you drive leaning forward.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Boriska
1st Gear

Newb here. Took delivery of '13 Cayenne with premium plus with vented seats. They work great for 5-10 minutes then shut off.... And u cant turn them back on for couple minutes at least. Never had this happen on my Saab. Dealer says they suppose to shut off when the cabin gets cold enough;(???

Does this happen to any of you guys?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shocked to see all the positive comments. I can barely feel the difference. In contrast, I drove a ford rental car with A/C seats .. HUGE difference, worked great .... I'm really disappointed with the ventilated seats .. maybe later models are better .. I have a 2009
Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I had the ventilated seats on my C2S. They worked OK, even with the A/C off.

The only thing I didn't like was the discoloration around the perforations in the leather. The inner surface of each 'hole' is not treated or dyed. Sweat, water, anything will stain the untreated leather. I know a couple people with bad stains from spilling coffee or soda. (Not sure why one would drink in a car, but that's another discussion.) There is no good way to clean the untreated leather either. Of course, my seats were Natural Brown, with black seats it may not be an issue. I have seen stains on several pre-owned cars with seat ventilation too. Mostly light colors like beige, but something to be aware of.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Only word of caution I have was from my salesman who suggested that the perforated seat leather will not be as durable over the long haul as the non-perforated. If you're in a high humidity area, it would seem to be a highly desirable option. I know that having seat heat is invaluable to me--I can't believe people leave some of these less expensive options unchecked.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, I bypassed several nice cars with gritted teeth because they were lacking heated seats. Once I moved up to an '09 the vented ones became just as much of a must have. I think they're great.

Last edited by stefang; 09-28-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
davis
AutoX

Heated and ventilated seats were must haves for me as well. They work great and I use them all the time.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Georgeous car!

If you fart in a ventilated seat does the A/C vent smell?
Actually, this happened to me in my X5 - and yes, instead of burying it in the seat, there is an immediate and horrible response as that same air is recirculated over your shoulders. I was laughing and coughing at the same time.

The following ideas occurred to me:
- Hook up my seat intake with the passenger seat output (obvious reasons)
- Have a "reverse" button on the seat that sucks in air and redirects out of the car. Call it the "BMW seat filtration system" and charge another couple hundred dollars.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I have heated seats - they;re great for SF

I'd love to check out ventilated - all the great reviews are compelling

why don't you just tell the wife she's not driving your car? I do, it works. her driving scares the hell out of me - no chance she driving my car!

Originally Posted by fast1
I would never buy a car with ventilated seats or heated seats for that matter. I want my car to be as uncomfortable to drive as possible. Why? I do my best to discourage my wife from driving my Porsche. So far I've been very successful.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I miss them everytime i'm in my GL, I am spoiled by them in my CLS and C2S!

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seats