Stereo (BT, Ipod, Satellite) upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Stereo (BT, Ipod, Satellite) upgrade question

Hey Folks,

I have a 2007 997 Turbo that does not get driven much at all. One of the reasons I realized, shortly after seriously upgrading the stereo system in my 993 to include Bluetooth, Ipod and Satellite, is that these little things really do make a difference.

I think all the after market options are pretty crappy and have never heard anybody rave about any of them. Even in the 993, I have to roll up all windows, close sunroof and be careful not to have road noise on a highway. Even then, the functionality is still marginal on an Alpine system. You can't change the 997 head unit for practical reasons (it's so integrated into the function of the car with nav, etc.)

So I'm wondering, what options, after all these years, are truly available to make my 997t more of a daily driver? How can I get Bluetooth, Ipod working and working well?

Can I upgrade to the stereo that was put in the later model 997's? What would that cost?

Please throw out all options... I'm curious.

Thanks.

(I'm here because I believe it's the same equipment on the 997 as is on the 997Turbo.. And this forum gets more traffic than the Turbo forum)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out these links:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Interioraudio

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Interioraudio
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts

^ I believe my cousin did this parrot blue tooth integration and I seem to remember him telling me it was horrible.
I don't mind disconnecting the cd changer. I just don't want to spend $1k plus (with install) to have something that is marginal at best.

Are there people on this forum that are happy with this? Was it worth it?

I don't think the XM module is worth it at all.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I got mObridge and I am happy. There's also Dension as another option. They all work the same.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 for alexb76. I also have mobridge and am happy with it, even with top down. I have heard great things about the Dension unit which is less expensive. I would recommend talking to Eric@bumperplugs.com. Super guy and he sells Dension.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had an 07, Dension was at the top of my list but I found a great deal on a 2010 which had the interface already. But for those considering the iPhone 5, which will have a different connector than every other iPod and iphone out there, we either have to remain with the current configuration and not upgrade to the iphone 5 or find a means of adaptation. Hopefully, purchasing entirely new factory or aftermarket systems will not be forced upon us.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, if you want a high-end Pioneer or Alpine head unit with decent nav/BT/ipod, quite a few people have done this. You would just need to upgrade your factory amp and speakers. If you're serious about sound, this is the way to go.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
When I had an 07, Dension was at the top of my list but I found a great deal on a 2010 which had the interface already. But for those considering the iPhone 5, which will have a different connector than every other iPod and iphone out there, we either have to remain with the current configuration and not upgrade to the iphone 5 or find a means of adaptation. Hopefully, purchasing entirely new factory or aftermarket systems will not be forced upon us.
Wait, wait. Now you've got me concerned. I was just considering the purchase of a new Denison unit from Eric at Bumperplugs and fully intend on upgrading to the iPhone 5 but curious to better understand your comments about compatability issues. It looks like the iPhone 5 will have a different (smaller) pin connection on the phone itself but should still utilize a USB plug to the charging unit (e.g. wall/PC/etc.) so that shouldn't cause any issues with folks currently using a USB connector in their car. Also, I believe the new Dension model has the option to stream audio via Bluetooth, which would be another way of connecting the iPhone 5. So unless the Denison unit is missing some unique code required for connection to an iPhone 5, it should work fine. Or am I missing something here?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the Tooki bluetooth module in my 2006 997 and I think it works very well.
I talk on it just about every time I'm in the car. I very much think the position of the microphone has a lot to do with it. I have mine mounted in between the steering wheel and gauges.

For music, I have the Dension and also think it works well. The interface with the PCM took a little bit of getting used to, but it works. I keep an older Ipod in the front trunk.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Rocco07
Racer

My concern was centered around the physical connection. I've since learned, possible rumor, that the iPhone 5 will come with an adapter to connect to the previous version's connector which would allow the physical interface with the 911. Hopefully, there's enough room in the center console compartment for all that. It's snug now with the connector attached to the phone, Hopefully, the adapter will have some cable between the two ends and it's not a solid adapter. A solid adapter may not allow the phone to reside in the center compartment. Apple doesn't care if I can't connect to my 911.
Can the PCM control the music selection in the same manner using Blutooth as it does with the physical connection? If not, that's not my preference. I've never tried the bluetooth route since I have the hardwire.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Feel free to email me: eric@bumperplugs.com

The newest Dension 500S BT will give you iPod, BT, USB and Aux. We just started shipping them two weeks ago. It's the 4th generation Dension integration device for Porsche, and has some great features for the money. It works well, and has far better clarity/sound than before.

Yes, the iPhone 5 is rumored to have a completely different connector than all other i-devices, so Apple will screw every aftermarket accessory mfr, and every i-accessory, until the adapters arrive.

No biggie though - with the Dension you can STREAM your audio (itunes, pandora) via bluetooth - no need to connect to cable. This way you can stream, then get calls, anytime. All data is displayed on your PCM.

We offer other options as well, and I can give you some of the pro/con issues if you like. Email me anytime.

The Dension 500S BT has the latest 5th gen BT chip, meaning far better clarity than ever before and a very wide compatibility net.

And it leaves everything stock inside your vehicle - just a mic up by the rearview mirror.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

So the bit rate using Blue Tooth must be horrible....right? Also, if you plug in using this Denison device does the system pick a pure digital signal from the phone and convert it using the Denison? Or does it use the D/A converter in the phone? The DA converter in the phone is as big as a pen tip and sounds like garbage. But then again, so does the Bose system.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Feel free to email me: eric@bumperplugs.com

The newest Dension 500S BT will give you iPod, BT, USB and Aux. We just started shipping them two weeks ago. It's the 4th generation Dension integration device for Porsche, and has some great features for the money. It works well, and has far better clarity/sound than before.

Yes, the iPhone 5 is rumored to have a completely different connector than all other i-devices, so Apple will screw every aftermarket accessory mfr, and every i-accessory, until the adapters arrive.

No biggie though - with the Dension you can STREAM your audio (itunes, pandora) via bluetooth - no need to connect to cable. This way you can stream, then get calls, anytime. All data is displayed on your PCM.

We offer other options as well, and I can give you some of the pro/con issues if you like. Email me anytime.

The Dension 500S BT has the latest 5th gen BT chip, meaning far better clarity than ever before and a very wide compatibility net.

And it leaves everything stock inside your vehicle - just a mic up by the rearview mirror.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
So the bit rate using Blue Tooth must be horrible....right? Also, if you plug in using this Denison device does the system pick a pure digital signal from the phone and convert it using the Denison? Or does it use the D/A converter in the phone? The DA converter in the phone is as big as a pen tip and sounds like garbage. But then again, so does the Bose system.
Well, one option would be to hard wire your iPhone 4 for music, leaving it in the center console/glovebox and use the BT functionality for calls with the iPhone 5. I typically just sell the previous iPhone when I upgrade to a newer model but may just opt to leave the 4s in the console as a music only player. Rather expensive 64GB music player but it's an option.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So assuming we go with the Dension 500S, is this plug and play on 997-1 (assuming you have a CD Changer), or does it require installation by someone who knows what they're doing?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

The install is straightforward enough, though pro installers can do this a bit quicker - no major panel removal, etc. It fits into the optic loop same as the older 500. Non cdc vehicles need programming by dealer, and Dension can reside in cabin if so.

Direct to the loop means whatever is on your device is coming through the system, so especially on the new 500S with 5th gen BT chip, the bluetooth sound has better clarity, and a wider compatibility.

If you plug the device into the iPod cable, it's taking the files directly from the iPod/iPhone and into the optic loop.

Sure, a bit better signal if you plug iPod into the cable, and use phone separately, but will stream tunes and pandora just fine.

Quick Reply: Stereo (BT, Ipod, Satellite) upgrade question