Sponsored by:

Stereo (BT, Ipod, Satellite) upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Well, if you want a high-end Pioneer or Alpine head unit with decent nav/BT/ipod, quite a few people have done this. You would just need to upgrade your factory amp and speakers. If you're serious about sound, this is the way to go.
+1 and I am glad I did - Pioneer avac (sp) unit and external amp in the frunk and all new speakers.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts

Some things to note:

My buddy has a new BMW 535 which streams audio via bluetooth. It by no means has the sound quality of a hard wired connection. The music is flat, no depth, no feel... But it does work.

I have an alpine aftermarket stereo in my 993 with an Ipod connection. The thing is, it's not really an "Ipod" connection, it's a USB input at the end of a long cable. To connect my Ipod, there is an additional, very short "apple" to USB adapter that came with the head unit.
When the new iPhone comes out, I won't have to do anything except change the adapter to accommodate the new system. In other words, the new iphone female is really not a big deal.

Eric, calling you tomorrow. I need a solution ASAP.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ksozay
Wait, wait. Now you've got me concerned. I was just considering the purchase of a new Denison unit from Eric at Bumperplugs and fully intend on upgrading to the iPhone 5 but curious to better understand your comments about compatability issues. It looks like the iPhone 5 will have a different (smaller) pin connection on the phone itself but should still utilize a USB plug to the charging unit (e.g. wall/PC/etc.) so that shouldn't cause any issues with folks currently using a USB connector in their car. Also, I believe the new Dension model has the option to stream audio via Bluetooth, which would be another way of connecting the iPhone 5. So unless the Denison unit is missing some unique code required for connection to an iPhone 5, it should work fine. Or am I missing something here?
Based on the recently release pics and description of the Iphone 5, it doesn't appear that it will fit, with the connector adapter, in the center console to utilize the 997.2 iphone connection (dimensionally too long). Does the in-car USB connection function much like the iphone connection?
My iphone 3gs is snug now.
The new phone itself is longer, and the adapter is a solid piece. Connecting them together to use the in-car iphone connection means it wont fit into the center console.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Based on the recently release pics and description of the Iphone 5, it doesn't appear that it will fit, with the connector adapter, in the center console to utilize the 997.2 iphone connection (dimensionally too long). Does the in-car USB connection function much like the iphone connection?
My iphone 3gs is snug now.
The new phone itself is longer, and the adapter is a solid piece. Connecting them together to use the in-car iphone connection means it wont fit into the center console.
I'm told by Erik at Bumperplugs.com that the new Bluetooth on the Dension unit has lossless audio. In other words, other than powering your iphone, you can listen to it at 100% quality and with no wires needed.

Quick Reply: Stereo (BT, Ipod, Satellite) upgrade question