Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S exhaust is getting quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 AM
1st_Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera S exhaust is getting quieter?

Just took delivery of a 7k mile 2005 Carrera S and have enjoyed the past 4 thousand miles with every shift as my daily driver. Deep throaty exhaust, simply a joy to roll on the throttle. In the last 50 miles I noticed that the exhaust is less throaty and more quiet. My kids noticed the same thing, I am not imagining things and both kids nailed the response “it doesn't sound as deep as before”. How can this happen in a car without PSE? It seemed to happen yesterday morning after dropping off one of our kids at camp, the car was warmed up and I took a long, twisting on ramp thru four gears after a strong rev in anticipation of the green light. Fantastic launch onto interstate and now it sounds flat and lifeless on highway and thru the range of rpms. Please help (and forgive me if this has already been covered). First time owner and 1st post.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Tolgahan Ures
Track Day

Maybe you are just getting used to the sound so it doesnt sound as interesting as it was before.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It has been my experience that mufflers will get a little louder as they get "burned in" (or more accurately, "burned out") as they go through multiple heat cycles..

If it is too quiet for your liking, you could try the "Gundo hack" (modification) to get a sound similar to PSE at a much lower cost than real PSE. Do a search on Gundo to get more info.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
1st_Porsche
Rennlist Member

The Gundo mod seems like a good solution long term, however, the car was just loud enough before. Any louder any it could be a challenge for our neighborhood. Checked and the Gundo mod is not on the car and can not find any evidence of PSE. Really want to understand what has changed before making a mod. Does anyone have an idea how it could change in sound?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine definitely got louder with time.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

1+. Has gotten wonderfully louder and growlier with time. So much so that I veto'd the Gundo. Love it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock Porsche muffler is a baffle type of muffler.
It's volume will not change unless a baffle were to physically break or rot through. The only mufflers that get louder are those with packing.

The volume change has to be related to something else.. perhaps the wearing of the cats?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 1st_Porsche
Just took delivery of a 7k mile 2005 Carrera S and have enjoyed the past 4 thousand miles with every shift as my daily driver. Deep throaty exhaust, simply a joy to roll on the throttle. In the last 50 miles I noticed that the exhaust is less throaty and more quiet. My kids noticed the same thing, I am not imagining things and both kids nailed the response “it doesn't sound as deep as before”. How can this happen in a car without PSE? It seemed to happen yesterday morning after dropping off one of our kids at camp, the car was warmed up and I took a long, twisting on ramp thru four gears after a strong rev in anticipation of the green light. Fantastic launch onto interstate and now it sounds flat and lifeless on highway and thru the range of rpms. Please help (and forgive me if this has already been covered). First time owner and 1st post.
First off, congrats on your choice. Excellent vintage, 2005. Got one myself. That said, 7K means the car sat round quite a bit. It might well be it never got hot enough for things to settle together, but now it has. The only thing I can think of that could soften the exhaust note would be an obstruction, but that's highly doubtful if you've not noticed any drop in performance.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PSE sound has increased over time. I have had the car since it had 3k miles on it and it now has about 16k miles.

You do get used to it if you drive it a fair amount. Drive another car for a few days and then drive the 997, you will notice the loud exhaust note. I love the sound and I rarely even have the radio turned on in the 997.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Mouse built a home in one of your tail pipes???
Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Were you in Beverly Hills recently... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6y-pdLyZPJ8
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I think you're getting deafer!

Quick Reply: Carrera S exhaust is getting quieter?