997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Requested in my search for an 09' in PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012 | 07:56 PM
pkts
Advanced

That's not bringing up anything for me. If it's the blue one I'd be cautious. The scratches they should fix but the lack of Sports Chrono is an issue since it'll cost you 1-1.5K to install it. Maybe I'm just suspicious but I don't like seeing a new car sit on the lot for 8-9 months. At the very least, you should get a SUBSTANTIAL discount since the original owner most likely did. Oh, and I have read mostly negative things on that dealership on yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/porsche-of-d...la-los-angeles

I have done a fair amount of searching for a 997 in the last month and this is what I've come away with.

Cars are either near the bottom of the range because there is something wrong with them (accidents, mechanical issues, cosmetic issues) or because of options/color combo. The first category I'd stay away from and the second is up to you. In my experience, it's mostly worth ignoring the cars at the bottom of the range ESP if they have been for sale for quite a while.
Old 08-03-2012 | 07:59 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by pkts
That's not bringing up anything for me. If it's the blue one I'd be cautious
Thanks pkts, yep it's the blue one listed at $64,895 with 14K miles...what do you think wrong' with the picture, I would have thought that's within range no? and it's CPO..

But again I'm a total newby so looking to learn from you guys
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:16 PM
pkts
Advanced

I'm pretty much a newbie too but I edited my post to add why I'd pass on the blue one. If you were local you could certainly check it out. I've just been burned doing a PPI on a car to find that, once I saw it in person, I would have walked away in about 5 secs.
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:24 PM
vg247
Pro

I'm pretty much a newbie too but I edited my post to add why I'd pass on the blue one. If you were local you could certainly check it out. I've just been burned doing a PPI on a car to find that, once I saw it in person, I would have walked away in about 5 secs.
Thanks again pk..I'm seeing if the dealer is negotiable on the price and will have a someone local look at it on my behalf, and looking to decide from there.

Great points, thank you.
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:25 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

[QUOTE=rijowysock;9644243]i sold my 09 PDK in 2010 for 64k

im sure you can find one now for less, if you like white the "launch" model was white on grey, pdk... and tons out there so should be cheaper to buy...

again mine was private sale, 18k miles, 09PDK sold in 10' 64k....

if you want a 991, stretch your budget 10k and i'll sell you mine for 82k (yes im serious)

as far as what to look out for, the 997.2 doesnt have many faults... just check for paint work and interior marring and you should be fine, the clutch doesnt wear and brakes were upgraded for 997.2 s your good to go. the DFI engine has half the moving parts and no RMS.. so not really any engine woes.... id say maybe just check and make sure the fuel system is working properly as some had HPFP issues, but most were remedied under warranty, also there was a pdk update that most should have that makes the downshift to 1st smoother.[/QUOTE]

Could you please tell me if this detail was a re-call or justified under warranty to be upgraded ?

Neil
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:28 PM
pkts
Advanced

Sure thing. I'd suggest negotiating over email (personal preference). Plus it's easier to just have them email you the carfax etc. I'd ask for

CPO Checklist
Carfax
Vehicle Locator Detail (so you know manufacture date)
The pertinent pages from the DME report (Over-revs and Fault Codes)

Let me know what info they send back, I can probably decipher it for you if you want.

Definitely get a PPI, good luck!
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:30 PM
pkts
Advanced

Neil, most of the cars that needed that PDK update were launch or late 08 manufacture cars. Almost all of the cars that I looked at with early prod dates, had the update done at the first service....I believe it was just software.
Old 08-03-2012 | 10:44 PM
vg247
Pro

Sure thing. I'd suggest negotiating over email (personal preference). Plus it's easier to just have them email you the carfax etc. I'd ask for

CPO Checklist
Carfax
Vehicle Locator Detail (so you know manufacture date)
The pertinent pages from the DME report (Over-revs and Fault Codes)

Let me know what info they send back, I can probably decipher it for you if you want.

Definitely get a PPI, good luck!
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on how this works out (or not)..

have a great weekend guys!
Old 08-05-2012 | 12:25 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Neil, most of the cars that needed that PDK update were launch or late 08 manufacture cars. Almost all of the cars that I looked at with early prod dates, had the update done at the first service....I believe it was just software.
Thanks !
Old 08-05-2012 | 06:05 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by vg247
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on how this works out (or not)..

have a great weekend guys!
Just an update, since you guys have been most supportive and and I wanted to keep everyone in the know where things stand in my hunt..

A very generous member from another forum was kind enough to come into this dealer local to him and check on the prospective car for me and relay back pictures..what he found was the car was NOT detailed and showed some swirl and light scratch marks which he concluded are cheap easy fixes, in addition lug nuts on the wheels were rusty and the coolant cap needed to be replaced..again dealer started at 64.8K on phone and went to 63.8K same night. With this new info dealer is now at 62.8 and I'm certain still playing games..I've decided that if they went to 61K and fix all the above this will be my buying pt OR 61.9K at worst to meet half way..so let's see how this story ends fellas, thanks for everything..
Old 08-05-2012 | 12:35 PM
pkts
Advanced

Thanks for the update, I was always curious about that car. Very nice fellow to check it out for you. Glad to hear that nothing egregious showed up. Have you asked the dealer if they are OK with you having a PPI done somewhere else? I wouldn't buy a car (CPO or not) without one. Now I remember why I didn't look into the car...it didn't smell right. Similar to a Black S I was looking at that was a "Great Deal" until I checked it out and it was in terrible cosmetic condition. BTW, your blue one has full leather which is a nice option. And when I looked at it 3 weeks ago, it was listed at 67K

IF everything come back clean, I wouldn't worry about 500-1000 bucks. Or just walk away for a week or so and see if he'll go lower. That car has been sitting for almost two months, they'll be wanting to sell it.

If you get it, all you need is to install Sports chrono and do the Gundo hack
Old 08-05-2012 | 02:01 PM
vg247
Pro

Thanks for the update, I was always curious about that car. Very nice fellow to check it out for you. Glad to hear that nothing egregious showed up. Have you asked the dealer if they are OK with you having a PPI done somewhere else? I wouldn't buy a car (CPO or not) without one. Now I remember why I didn't look into the car...it didn't smell right. Similar to a Black S I was looking at that was a "Great Deal" until I checked it out and it was in terrible cosmetic condition. BTW, your blue one has full leather which is a nice option. And when I looked at it 3 weeks ago, it was listed at 67K

IF everything come back clean, I wouldn't worry about 500-1000 bucks. Or just walk away for a week or so and see if he'll go lower. That car has been sitting for almost two months, they'll be wanting to sell it.

If you get it, all you need is to install Sports chrono and do the Gundo hack
Yeah pk they're okay with the PPI...just making sure they fix things up and hope they settle on a price or I'll walk. There are others out there and I'm just trying to be patient.
Old 08-12-2012 | 04:14 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by vg247
Yeah pk they're okay with the PPI...just making sure they fix things up and hope they settle on a price or I'll walk. There are others out there and I'm just trying to be patient.
Thanks everyone, just wanted say how much I appreciate your feedback and advice..the CAR has landed =)

After some negotiating, and making them fix a few things to finalize the deal the deed is done and car is home =)
Old 08-12-2012 | 12:21 PM
street rod
Drifting

Congrats, How about some pics?
Old 08-13-2012 | 04:12 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche87
Congrats, How about some pics?
Thanks again ALL - sorry been busy with quite a few things going all at once..Apologies in advance for these poor quality pix -until I have some good photo's up, here's a few from my Ipad..

Last edited by vg247; 07-02-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice Requested in my search for an 09' in PDK