Sponsored by:

Teaching people to drive stick on your car...pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a car. Use it.

I have taught kids to drive a manual on a Honda S2000 and a Corvette. The Honda was tougher as it had much less torque. The Vette was easy. My daughter learned to drive it in a few short lessons. 400 ft lbs of torque makes it possible to pull away from a stop by easing out the clutch, TNEN applying gas. Surprisingly it was easy for her to move from the Vette to another manual.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,395 Likes on 809 Posts

these cars are a cake walk to drive.

Most likely the person will let off the clutch too fast, resulting in a stalled engine and no clutch damage.

Too much slipping a few times....big deal, the wear will be infintesimal unless the person really really sucks.

I've taught people to drive stick in M3s, mustang cobras, and an E39 M5 with a clutch made from paper mache. None suffered any untimely clutch issues.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Pros: if it's a really hot girl you're teaching, and you know for certain you'll get laid in return, a new clutch is cheaper than a high-class call girl.

Cons: Every other scenario except the above.
" !
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe the OP is teaching someone to drive stick who already knows how to drive, and I don't necessarily disagree with some of the points being made about the ease of driving certain cars. But it's about more than clutch wear. My kids had enough to absorb learning to drive for the first time without worring about making mistakes in Dad's Porsche. And I will say that there were a few occasions when things happened and I was glad they only had 115HP under foot....
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I disagree with most.
Taught my GF (later to become my wife) how to drive stick in my VW GTI.
We had a blast and she was a great student. There were no difficulties, no arguments and no clutch replacements necessary.
Now she drives my 997 and loves it...still doesn't like stopping on steep grades though, never did, but she mastered the e-brake cheat.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

It's my nephew....25 years old....a tennis pro at a country club in NJ. Drives a Harley (I know not the same) and I'd love to teach him but don't want to screw the clutch up???

He's smart and very coordinated but I'm not sure if that makes it easier or not....just in a quandary.

Tom
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't matter how coordinated he is. There will almost always be some very bad wear on the clutch.

And how does a male reach age 25 without already knowing how to do this?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Doesn't matter how coordinated he is. There will almost always be some very bad wear on the clutch.

And how does a male reach age 25 without already knowing how to do this?
Who makes or drives sticks anymore......besides me......how would he learn....on what?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
It's my nephew....25 years old....a tennis pro at a country club in NJ. Drives a Harley (I know not the same) and I'd love to teach him but don't want to screw the clutch up???

He's smart and very coordinated but I'm not sure if that makes it easier or not....just in a quandary.

Tom
My reservations were about teaching a young first time driver. Your nephew obviously isn't that and if he can drive a Harley he has some appreciation for machinery. Sounds like you want to do this and would enjoy it. FWIW, I would say go ahead; I think the risk to your clutch under the circumstances is minimal. If you see he's having real trouble you can stop and demonstrate; if he's a bright guy he'll get it. My $.02.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The hazzle you folks have over there with stick driving always makes me giggle...

Here in Sweden, learning to drive with a stick is normal and there is actually an implication to do your driving test in an automatic: Your license gets tagged "Automatic only" and you'll have to upgrade it to a "full" license later on to drive with stick!

Therefore, people learn how to drive stick from the start in order to avoid the stigma of a second-rate license with "Automatic only"
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Guido911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes exactly Kelderek.
Here in Europe 80% of the population drives a manual transmission, just teach it to him. It will give no problems at all. He's 25, so old enough to get the 'feel' way quicker then a kid who is just learning to drive.
If i learn someone to drive a manual i let him try a couple of times for about 30minutes and then let the car cool of a little. No worries
Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
My reservations were about teaching a young first time driver. Your nephew obviously isn't that and if he can drive a Harley he has some appreciation for machinery. Sounds like you want to do this and would enjoy it. FWIW, I would say go ahead; I think the risk to your clutch under the circumstances is minimal. If you see he's having real trouble you can stop and demonstrate; if he's a bright guy he'll get it. My $.02.
Thanks Mike....I was leaning that way too. I'd both like him to learn and I'd like the be the one that teaches him.

Life is short and before you know it he'll be off somewhere living his life and I'll wish I did it or I'll be too old and he'll never learn!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if you know how to ride a moto as well but i've found it's easier to seperate all of the aspects of driving like they do at the moto classes. first session you just go in a straight line first gear without picking your feet up. give a little gas engage the clutch slightly until the car moves forward, then step on the clutch and brake. in 5 straight line 5 foot increments the student leans how to "go" but doesn't learn how to row the gears or turn. no one moves on until they master this.

I think if you use an approach like this, your nephew should do well.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Not sure if you know how to ride a moto as well but i've found it's easier to seperate all of the aspects of driving like they do at the moto classes. first session you just go in a straight line first gear without picking your feet up. give a little gas engage the clutch slightly until the car moves forward, then step on the clutch and brake. in 5 straight line 5 foot increments the student leans how to "go" but doesn't learn how to row the gears or turn. no one moves on until they master this.

I think if you use an approach like this, your nephew should do well.
Thanks for that......I don't but I like teaching in small pieces! In fact, I teach communication skills for a living and it's how I teach.

The best thing about Peter is he's a learner....he wants to learn and if he thinks you can teach him something he's all ears and he'll do anything to get better. it's how he became an excellent tennis player.

Learners are wonderful........I'm going to try!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Pros: if it's a really hot girl you're teaching, and you know for certain you'll get laid in return, a new clutch is cheaper than a high-class call girl.

Cons: Every other scenario except the above.
If it is a hot girl does she have any hot sisters? I have two stick shift Porsches they can learn to drive...

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Teaching people to drive stick on your car...pros/cons