Sponsored by:

2007 997 3.8 Cylinder Crack

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by khutter
It is comforting to see that folks out there aren't writing off a chance of goodwill intervention. My situation wrt first / subsequent owner falls in a grey area... I am the second owner but the first was my sister-in-law. So it's been in the family and I know always dealer maintained at Porsche San Antonio, TX then here in Reno. Do I contact PCNA directly or go to our local dealer? Also, since I first took it to an independent figuring (hoping) head gasket or simpler issue, does this further complicate things? Do I want to get the motor over to Porsche for a look. Or, have the whole car towed over so they can check OBD?
What Phil said.

The dealer will be the go between between you and PCNA/factory.

Being the second owner could complicate matters some, but I would still push for goodwill.

Assuming the dealer's diagnosis confirms the block has cracked this failure is clearly a manufacturing defect that, and I can't say it any better, that a goodwill repair was made for.

Be prepared that the dealer may ask for a signed work order with an estimate of several thousand dollars to cover the cost of an engine 'teardown'.

My service manager contacts tell me this is common but not a few owners balk and understandably so.

There is no guarantee any goodwill will be forthcoming and I do not know if the cost of the teardown is applied to a replacement engine if you go ahead and have this done.

Of course things change so be sure you ask questions and take good notes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
LO997S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 PM
khutter
6th Gear

Cool

Sorry for the radio silence... there have been developments this week. I contacted PCNA and told them the story. They asked a couple of questions about the ownership history and some surrounding my Porsche brand and dealer loyalty. All very pleasant and led to a case number being issued, but the statement that any action would have to be initiated by my dealer.

Recall that at the moment my vehicle is at an indy, with the motor out and a head off... I contacted the dealer and told the whole story again. I was given an appropriately non-committal response that this could be the type of thing that goodwill would apply to, but that there was the little problem of my having taken the car to an indy vs. the dealer. But, also no statement that a door had been closed irreparably. I was told that the motor and car would certainly need to be reassembled and the car brought in to the dealer before any commitment would be made.

Further discussion of the obvious risk of incurring the cost of doing such a reassembly before knowing if the goodwill dog would hunt certainly left me at a point of dissatisfaction. But, I was referred up to the dealer's service manager for further discussion, to whom the service advisor had explained the situation. He asked a couple more PCNA-style brand loyalty questions and allowed that I would be able to forward photos of the VIN, damage, and odometer for him to take to PCNA, allowing a verdict to be made on goodwill before I went through the cost of bringing the vehicle over. I took this to be a very nice gesture and much appreciated the willingness to work with me on this.

So, that's where we are at the end of the week. No promises made, but an overall sense of positivity. I am on pins and needles over whether this will bear fruit, but fingers are crossed. For the interested, I am attaching a photo of the cracked #2.

Wish me luck!

Karl
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM
LO997S
Track Day

Thanks for the detailed update, Karl. I'm still available to chat if you want to give me a call. I hope PCNA does the right thing for you. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
khutter
6th Gear

I would still appreciate it! Guests with multiple kids to add to our own craziness have arrived, so a little hectic!

Quick Reply: 2007 997 3.8 Cylinder Crack