Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to determine maximum speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any way to determine maximum speed ?

Hi
I know you can check for over-revs and other data... I'm wondering if maximum speed is recorded as well. Just got back from the Pocono DE (which was GREAT - kudos to PCA and their instructors and other staff) and am interested in finding max speed achieved - my eyes were on the track, and occasionally the tach, so I likely missed it othe speedo.

Thanks !
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My hand held GPS shows max speed. Don't know if that would work for a DE or not.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Unfortunately, I think think there is. Little late now, but might be worth investing in some basic data recording for next time. There's fantastic software available for androids and iphones that take advantage of the onboard gps and accelerometers for pretty good data. If you couple it with a bluetooth/wifi OBDII reader and external GPS, it's damned near professional quality. Failing that, you could always point a camera where you can see the instruments. What's a little disappointing is that the ODBII and GPS both output actually accurate speed, as opposed to the speedometer, which is going to indicate speeds quite a bit faster than you're actually going because Porsche is screwy that way. So, pointing a camera at the dash will give you maybe 5mph or so better bragging rights

I recorded this on my android at a time trial a few weeks ago. It's all available instantly for review between runs, which is especially helpful:
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by psychlox
Hi
I know you can check for over-revs and other data... I'm wondering if maximum speed is recorded as well. Just got back from the Pocono DE (which was GREAT - kudos to PCA and their instructors and other staff) and am interested in finding max speed achieved - my eyes were on the track, and occasionally the tach, so I likely missed it othe speedo.

Thanks !
My NAV unit suction cupped to the windshield records max speed. I do not track my car though so I do not know if regulations/rules would allow something like this in the car during a track event.

If you go this route be sure you clear the NAV data before each event/session.

Oh, the speedo may not be all that accurate. I know of one car in which max speed displayed by the speedo was 148mph but the NAV unit along with another data logger recorded 168mph.

Now maybe in the excitment of the moment the driver misread 148 for the real 168 which highlights that even if the speedo accurate the driver is the weak link. At that speed one doesn't really have time to study the speedo. A quick glance to check vitals is about all one has time for.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Any way to determine maximum speed ?