Sponsored by:

Private Party Sale Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've met some great folks on both sides of PP transactions.
Represent the car correctly - I undersell if I'm selling so the buyer knows every fault however small and there's no disappointments once the buyer actually views the car.
Price it fairly - if you're selling, use KBB, if you're buying, use Edmunds.....a fair deal is somewhere in between.
Lately, I've had equal success with Craigslist as I've had with auto trader, and craigslist doesn't charge.
I found my 09C2S cab right here, though
Good luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i buy and sell cars, watches, parts all the time. i have nothing but good experiences. one thing though, you have to know what you are selling and be willing to spend the time in answering questions and showing the product. if you see that as a chore, you should have someone doing it. i find it enjoyable meeting car guys and closing the deal. it lets me know that my prized possession is going to a good home.

pricing is important but so is the market where you place the ad. sometimes it's ebay, craigslist or forums. it really depends on the market to target
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only considering Private Sale 997s. I generally insist on title in hand as well.

The price should be about half way between trade-in value and dealer sales price on the same vehicle. The seller makes another $5-7K, and I save somewhere around the same plus possibly some state sales tax.

What I always tell people (I sell 18 wheelers to oilfield and construction companies) when they chose to sell their own equipment is to start at basically their bottom number as it just saves a whole lot of going back and forth to end up basically in the same place. Furthermore when you explain to your buyer that you have 5 people coming to look at the car (low prices tend to get people motivated) you tend to get a much quicker and more painless sale.

As far as test drives go. My intention was to have the owner drive me around in his car. Then we will go to the bank and once he sees the teller hand me a Cashier's Check for the full amount of his car, I fully expect a thorough and lengthy test drive before handing over that CC.

GLWS!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
Good advice from all. You factor in savings on sales taxes on top of trade in value and it would still be a shade below private sale, which if it sells quick, works in your favor. Good luck either way and post up what kind of 991 deals are available in your area.

I don't know, I've never found it worth the small amount that could be saved by selling to a third party rather than trading to the dealer. On big ticket items like these cars, the sales tax that is saved in states that have you pay only on the difference between purchase and trade-in prices, is hard to make up in a private sale once the cost of advertising, time involved, aggravation, etc. are considered. I've usually been able to negotiate a price for the new car, and allowance for the trade-in, that makes it not worthwhile to try and sell it to third parties.

Quick Reply: Private Party Sale Experiences?