the dreaded "take to workshop"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default the dreaded "take to workshop"

I usually drive the Porsche (09 C2S Cab, PDK) to the office on Fridays, and this morning was no different.
Turn the key, and it cranks and cranks - no fire. Finally fires, runs rough as hell, kinda like the old days when the choke was stuck or timing was way off. Had to pedal it quite a bit just to stay running, and it still cut off. Turn the key off, remove it, start all over again, same thing happens, except this time it throws a "engine reduced power" alarm.
Try it one more time, get the "reduced power" alarm, followed by the dreaded "take to workshop" alarm.
Tow truck is on the way.....
Last time I drove it was last weekend - and it drove fine - in the garage ever since then. I've had the high pressure fuel pump recall done, and it's still under warranty, but this is disconcerting.
Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes...fuel pump. BMW did the same thing. These high pressure fuel pumps will be an issue forever. Low viscosity and high pressure piston pumps make for a bad combination. They'll probably figure it out some day but for now direct injection engines only problem is the fuel pump.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the HPFP. when my first one failed symptoms were very similar. Did you get a replacement already under the "campaign"?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Another clue....
tow truck has it, and it's on the way to the dealer. Driver was able to crank it and back it out into the street, running rough as hell.
there's a small puddle of what appears to be oil on the floor underneath where it was parked. It's never leaked, and uses very little oil. It's hard for me to tell how much oil is really there as I have a plastic tile (racedeck) underneath it. Crapolla....
Does the high pressure fuel pump have a lube system that failed and spewed?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vexed
+1 on the HPFP. when my first one failed symptoms were very similar. Did you get a replacement already under the "campaign"?
Yes
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Another clue....
tow truck has it, and it's on the way to the dealer. Driver was able to crank it and back it out into the street, running rough as hell.
there's a small puddle of what appears to be oil on the floor underneath where it was parked. It's never leaked, and uses very little oil. It's hard for me to tell how much oil is really there as I have a plastic tile (racedeck) underneath it. Crapolla....
Does the high pressure fuel pump have a lube system that failed and spewed?
Not that I am aware of, the two may not be connected but the dealer will sort it out. I think they keep HPFPs in stock now.

Quick Reply: the dreaded "take to workshop"