Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how could two 997 drive so differently?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
twlai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think he changed the suspension.
Aside from tire noise and engine noise, the ride was not very comfortable.
It felt busy, not compose, rattle inside the cabin.

The C4s was smooth, absorb the road bump nicely, (like my mini), it just feel like
2 different car.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Default Seriously???

How did the Porsche 911 become your dream car?

Something inspires you to fall in love with the P-Car.

The 911 became my dream car in 1984 when I seen a rich guy driving one near my high school. After I saw that P-Car I started researching the 911 learning everything I could about it. I drove a few of them over the years but they were a little out of my reach raising 2 kids on a single income. My buddy managed a Porsche dealership in Chicago so I was able to get an up close and personal look at the car from time to time. I knew it was only a matter of time and a couple job promotions before I would own one.

Last year I finally purchased the a C2S and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I've owned S4's, M3's, Mini Cooper, S2000, 335i and a 540i. I drove an M5, some AMG's, a Lotus, Corvette's, Mustangs, Camaro's and I've never drove any car that amazed me more than the 911. The 911 is one of the sexiest cars on the road and I get tons of complements. Although, that ride in the Carrera GT was a little more exciting...maybe.

Perhaps you need to reevaluate your dream car or spend some time with someone from your local Porsche Club to learn about the features and benefits of the 911. You might actually like the Cayman or the Boxster better. Go to some Saturday Cars and Coffee events and talk to some of the guys driving Porsche's. Go to a Porsche Club event and talk to some of the guys and ask them about ownership. BTW I found the dealerships to be a waste of time but you might be able to find someone to help.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Renzsport
maybe they were run flats? blech. Do they make run flats for 997?
no
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
How did the Porsche 911 become your dream car?

Something inspires you to fall in love with the P-Car.

The 911 became my dream car in 1984 when I seen a rich guy driving one near my high school. After I saw that P-Car I started researching the 911 learning everything I could about it. I drove a few of them over the years but they were a little out of my reach raising 2 kids on a single income. My buddy managed a Porsche dealership in Chicago so I was able to get an up close and personal look at the car from time to time. I knew it was only a matter of time and a couple job promotions before I would own one.

Last year I finally purchased the a C2S and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I've owned S4's, M3's, Mini Cooper, S2000, 335i and a 540i. I drove an M5, some AMG's, a Lotus, Corvette's, Mustangs, Camaro's and I've never drove any car that amazed me more than the 911. The 911 is one of the sexiest cars on the road and I get tons of complements. Although, that ride in the Carrera GT was a little more exciting...maybe.

Perhaps you need to reevaluate your dream car or spend some time with someone from your local Porsche Club to learn about the features and benefits of the 911. You might actually like the Cayman or the Boxster better. Go to some Saturday Cars and Coffee events and talk to some of the guys driving Porsche's. Go to a Porsche Club event and talk to some of the guys and ask them about ownership. BTW I found the dealerships to be a waste of time but you might be able to find someone to help.

Good luck!
Great advice. Porsche makes cars that run the gamut from street legal race cars like the GT3 to the Boxster which by the way is an outstanding sports car for the street.

As to the OP's concern about the handling of the Porsche, I agree with others that it is likely a tire issue. Simple things like worn tires, bent wheel, wheel alignment and balancing can dramatically affect the way a car handles. Of course a bad suspension can do the same, but a wheel/tire problem is far more likely.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

As you have figured out by now Porsche makes about 26 versions of the "911." Within that collection are street monsters like the GT3 which just will prove to be too excessive for the average guy for the street. Porsche has specifically changed the suspension set ups on the coupes versus the cabriolets, for example. They reasoned that buyers of cabs are looking for a plusher ride--the coupe buyers want something close to being capable of pushing the envelop.

The 911 of today is nothing like the 911 of yesteryear. Back when I first got into Porsches the 911 had about 3 versions--T, E, and S. Each had slightly different suspension setups, but their ability to stretch the capability of the 911 was fundamentally limited. Today's cars have so many variations available that no two cars are alike in more than leather colors. For example, simply ordering PCCBs for your can will change the feel--the road handling--of the car. Coupled with PASM, you have an entirely different feeling than a bare bones stock Carrera. It takes a long time to become educated in these differences--for the novice sports car driver. Take your time and drive as many varieties as you can until you find one that works the best. Absolutely take the age of the tires into consideration--they are one of the biggest factors in the feel and handling of a 911.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
twlai
Instructor

why it become my dream car?
to be honest, i really don't know...
i start to like 911 when the first 997.1 GT3 come out.
i love they bring back the classic oval headlight and the car just look so beautiful.
i used to be a bmw guy, but since e46, i felt that they just build carmy with better handling,
very blend, driving experience is not as involved anymore...

but until few days ago, i have never driven a 997 myself, and i am absorbing the reality hit
now.
i think this is still my dream daily driver, now i really want a 2009 C4S (or C4 with PASM option, which
is very very rare). I may have to wait 1-2 more years for a 2009 to be in my budget,
or I have to hit the lottery first.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twlai
why it become my dream car?
to be honest, i really don't know...
i start to like 911 when the first 997.1 GT3 come out.
i love they bring back the classic oval headlight and the car just look so beautiful.
i used to be a bmw guy, but since e46, i felt that they just build carmy with better handling,
very blend, driving experience is not as involved anymore...

but until few days ago, i have never driven a 997 myself, and i am absorbing the reality hit
now.
i think this is still my dream daily driver, now i really want a 2009 C4S (or C4 with PASM option, which
is very very rare). I may have to wait 1-2 more years for a 2009 to be in my budget,
or I have to hit the lottery first.
I don't know why you are set on a C4. I'm on my second Porsche and would not even consider a C4. The extra weight and complexity is just not necessary in my view. I don't drive my car in the snow in the winter but the few times I have tried it goes just fine. If you are coming from a mini then you want nimble not more weight and complexity. Just my opinion of course. YMMV
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
twlai
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I don't know why you are set on a C4. I'm on my second Porsche and would not even consider a C4. The extra weight and complexity is just not necessary in my view. I don't drive my car in the snow in the winter but the few times I have tried it goes just fine. If you are coming from a mini then you want nimble not more weight and complexity. Just my opinion of course. YMMV
yes, i dont want more weight, and that is why i love my mini, and
that is why i don;t like bmw anymore.
but i also had wrx and evo before, drifting 4wd in snow is very fun.
And i love the widebody look!

of course, if i find a nicer C2 or C2s with PASM with the right price,
i would still get it.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general, tires play a major part in the noise and ride quality of this car. If you are looking for the handling and a less harsh ride for something you are purchasing, you might look at a 993, or even a 964. Those cars are not as jittery on bumps. Another trick is to partially deflate the tires on the 997, that is what I did in my car. Then I can replace with something better more quickly. The cars listed above drive similarly. I have owned all three. The best part is snapping the wheel to make rapid lane changes at speed when passing cars. The car drives like almost nothing else. Agree about the C4, unless you are looking for winter driving, I tend to avoid when buying. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I dunno... if you're concerned about noise and comfort, you should be buying a Mercedes or Cadillac, not a Porsche which has a much stiffer performance-tuned suspension and dispenses with much of the sound insulation for weight. If you're concerned about tire treadwear and want an 80k all-season mile tire, you might as well put them on a Prius because that's about what you'll be limiting your Porsche's handling to. IMHO, the qualities you should be looking at in a Porsche tire are dry grip, wet grip, and maybe cold grip if you live up north.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

My first 997 was a standard Carrera C2 and it rode hard, especially on the crappy roads here in NY.
About 6 years ago I drove a fellow Rennlisters C2S to hear his exhaust set up and the ride difference blew me away so I know exactly what you're talking about. Shortly there after I bought an 06 997 C4S and loved it. I now have a 997 turbo and attribute the improvement in ride and handling to the PASM suspension.
Get a C2S or C4S, you can't go wrong either way. I base my comments on actual experience.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1st Carrera I test drove before ultimately buying the car I have now was a CPO base with 18" wheels. The tire pressure reading was way higher than it was supposed to be, I learned after the fact. Also, the car didn't have PASM. After learning from that experience I decided the car I was going to buy had to have PASM, so I eventually found a C2S cab that suited me perfectly. It was new. So any car you drive be sure to click through the dashboard read out and get a warm tire pressure reading.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have yet to encounter a car on a dealer's lot that doesn't have over inflated tires. I assume the tires are over inflated to minimize flat spotting during shipping and/or on the lot. The last time I bought a P car the dealer was set to send my off the lot with over 50 lbs. in all four tires!

Check the tire pressures. Match them to the manual or the sticker on the door frame.

I have learned that dealers serve important purposes... but setting up the car isn't one of them.

Quick Reply: how could two 997 drive so differently?