Sponsored by:

'06 S with Few Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM
mikewils
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 S with Few Options

Guys (and ladies) - I've been lurking for years and am now in a place to get my first 911, and came across an '06 S with 40k miles but with just a few options: adaptive sport seats, floor mats and colored center crests. But it's guards red (which is my #1 choice) and black int (which is my only choice) and has those sport seats which is high on my list as well. If it checks out mechanically and the price is right, is it worth pursuing or will I wish I had more bits on it 6 months from now?

As I said, it's my first 911 so I don't even know what I'd be missing without X51 or PASM or sport chrono or etc....

Questions, comments, options all welcome. And what is a decent price? They have it for $50k but I'm thinking that's too high by more than just a couple hundred.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
jason74
Instructor

If it is an 'S', it has PASM. X51 is somewhat obscure and if this is your first, you'll already be impressed enough! Bose is nice to have. Otherwise probably about all you need. Sport chrono is pretty controversial as to benefit and necessity. Mine has it and I never use it, although the clock is nice to hold my sunglasses...

50k is too high. By quite a bit, I think. for reference, I had a deal for 06 C2S red, full leather, 22k miles for $45k in April 2011. I didn't buy that based on PPI info. I'm not real sure what prices have done in last 12 months or so... good luck.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
mikewils
Advanced

Thanks Jason. Another thing, I got the build date from the dealer and it's 06/05 which is pretty early in the year for an '06 so I started worrying about IMS issues, but it's an S car so it should have the M97 engine and there should not be an IMS issue, correct?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

X51 is about $10k option so if you have a budget then this might be a consideration. It's not very common either but I think everyone would want it if they had the chance.

Another interesting tidbit is the article I read in June Panorama that talked about color and price of the pre 1972 911's. Seems that the obscure colors of blue and red bring the biggest dollars. Guards Red is a fantastic color and you sure don't see many around. I don't think 40k miles on a 2006 is a lot of miles so long as you are happy with the way it has been taken care of. I've seen cars with 20k miles completely ragged out with french fries and all kinds of crap on the interior. Then I've seen cars with 60k miles that look new on the inside. I'm sure you'll make the right call.

Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Originally Posted by jason74
50k is too high. By quite a bit, I think.
I concur. I'd think you'd find similar cars in the low to mid 40s. I have an S with sport-chrono and Nav. I like the sport/suspension options, though have yet to really use the Nav. Nice for re-sale though. For me, the primary factor was S vs. non-S, and I knew I wanted an S.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

21 for sale on Manheim and zero Guards Red. MMR for a 2006 with 40k miles is about $42,500. Above Average $49k. Add three for Retail and probably $6k if it's a Porsche Dealer.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
jason74
Instructor

So, the M96/97 IMS issue is like pandoras box to open. You will find massive amounts of fact vs opinion on the topic. My take is that either motor is subject to failure as they both have the part that fails. There seems to be strong opinions that the (relatively low) failure rate decreased with a bearing change between 05-06 dependent on build date. I'll let you sort it out and come to your own conclusion.

With the 997.2, the IMS was designed out. It also seems the new engines have their own issues with the direct injection and such, but time will reveal more on that issue.

You could also consider CPO vs aftermarket warranties if desired.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
mikewils
Advanced

Thanks guys, all good info and I appreciate it. I'm fine with the miles, and from the pictures I've seen so far, it looks pretty clean. I know its a one owner car and has been serviced by the local P dealer so I'm going to reach out to them for the records, if they'll share them with me. Should have a PPI set up early next week.

And Jason, yeah there is a lot of info out there and along with the facts there is a lot of speculation. Since it has the M97 engine (right?) I don't think the "easy" LN retrofit is possible, only the upgrade which involves taking the entire shaft out is an option. When I do the PPI, I will talk to the mechanic about specifics, their opinion and what the options are. Aftermarket warranty is something I've considered, based on the IMS issue, and happily (not really) that is also a pandora's box to find a good one.

I don't want to get into a moral discussion of Porsche and class actions, but what other car can you think of where the going motto is don't buy it unless you can afford to replace an exploding engine? Frustrating, because it's such a great car.

Last edited by mikewils; 06-23-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

I just exchanged a 06S Seal Grey/Black and very similar options and 30K miles for $48k to get into a 09S Cab.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jason74
With the 997.2, the IMS was designed out.
imho right now it is a not very good situation with used 997.2 cars as if we take 997.1 S in low $40K and assume $20K for a replacement motor if IMS blows it gets right to the price point of what clean used 997.2 car costs.

if 997.2 cars would go in low $50K consistently it would not make much sense to get a 997.1 just for $10K less but it is not the case right now.

Quick Reply: '06 S with Few Options