Sponsored by:

Waterpump pully failure while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Waterpump pully failure while driving

I was driving down to Westchester county from my home in Saratoga Springs, NY yesterday when I had a failure of the pully on my waterpump. The shaft broke causing the fan belt to come off. I lost my power steering and had a battery warning light show up on the display. I was on the Taconic State Parkway about 15 miles north of Interstate 84. I got right off the road and called my extended warranty company. I have full towing. Becaure the taconic uses only parkway authorized tow companies, I had to call the State Police and they dispached a flat bed. The police were at my car in 10 minutes and the tow track arrived 15 minutes later. They towed the car to Danbury Porsche where they kept the car overnight and replaced the waterpump and belt. I got the car back this afternoon. My extended warranty covered everything (the repair with labor and parts was $1052) including a rental car for overnight. The dealer submitted all the paperwork. I was very pleased with the prompt service and staff at Danbury Porsche. I would highly recommend them. They showed me the old waterpump and the pully shaft just sheared off.. No warning..

I have 64,445 miles on my car. and this is the first mechanical failure I've had. So.. I'm still a very happy camper..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve/K2WE
My extended warranty covered everything (the repair with labor and parts was $1052) including a rental car for overnight.
Hey Steve,

I have the Fidelity Platinum warranty ($4k) but I am having issues getting them to cover a PSM failure. Just curious, which warranty do you have?

Jason

PS - I'm in Albany. I see your car on Broadway from time to time in Saratgoa; very nice!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting, I'm approaching that mileage and was debating replacing my water pump and pulley. Were there any tell tale signs ie. leaking before failure?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So which insurance policy with which firm do you have?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Wink

Sorry for the delay in a reply. Been very busy.. Jason, next time your in Saratoga Springs, give me a buzz at 518-832-0011.. I live on the south end of Saratoga Lake near the new chip plant.

The policy I have is issued by Warranty Solutions. I took it out last year as I approached 50k. It was not cheap (just over 5k for bumper to bumper coverage). I chose the $100 deductable plan.. Guess the $500 deductable would have been a bit cheaper.. I really don't remember. If I would have waited until I went over 50k, the cost would have doubled!! I looked at several other plans and they were all missing something. Even the folks at Danbury Porsche liked the plan. They said the rep was very nice on the phone and said the repair and all extras will be covered.

I had no advance warning of the water pump failure.. No leaks no nothing until the shaft broke and the fan belt slipped off..

Last edited by Steve/K2WE; 06-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Here is a follow up.. I received a check from the extended warranty company yesterday for the full amount of the repair minus my $100 deductable and the sales tax. I would say that's pretty good service. I'm a very happy camper..

By the way, I was very happy with Danbury Porsche. The car was ready for pick-up at 11AM the next day. They did a super job..

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's great that they took care of everything. I'll definitely look into Warranty Solutions when my CPO runs out...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Steve,

I am sure I just missed it, but what Year is your car?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jfoxny;9625578]Hey Steve,

I have the Fidelity Platinum warranty ($4k) but I am having issues getting them to cover a PSM failure. Just curious, which warranty do you have?

I'm about to purchase a Fidelity Platinum policy. What's the issue with them not covering the PSM?

-rm
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, the warranty company won't pay out until they witness the PSM issue themselves even though Porsche has physical evidence of the issue. Here's the problem...

I occasionally get a PSM Failure error when I hit a bump at speed. The fault unfortunately clears when the car is restarted. At first, the dealer couldn't figure out the problem until I managed to take it to them with the fault up and they scanned it while the car was running. The code they got indicated that a particular part of the ABS system needed to be replaced (about a $3-4k job).

The dealer captured a print out of the fault to show the warranty company. However, that was not good enough for them. They need the adjuster they sent (who is a 3rd party subcontractor) to witness the fault for themselves. Note, Porsche said if the car was under their warranty the job would have been paid for at this point.

Well, since the problem is intermittent and there's no way that I've found to reliably reproduce it, it basically means I'm SOL. My guess is that they are giving me the run-around because the repair job will almost be the same amount as the warranty. I'm hoping when winter arrives, it will be easier to reproduce.

If you are interested, I describe the problem in more detail here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...attery-change/

Jason
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Steve,

I am sure I just missed it, but what Year is your car?
mdr2001, My car is a 2007. It was purchased new in November 2007. It was an 07' leftover so the dealer took almost 18k off the sticker. It had 93 miles on the ODO.

Steve in Saratoga Sorings, NY
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At what point did you buy your warranty? I just purchase an '09 C2S with 7200 miles and 8 months left of the factory warranty. If I take out a 3 year 45,000 mile warranty now, it is around $2,500, but it starts the day I sign the deal.

My thought is to wait until the factory warranty is ready to expire.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

I purchased the extended warranty with 49,450 miles on the car. If I would have waited until I went over 50,000 miles, the cost for the warranty would have doubled to almost $10k!! I'm glad I didn't wait.

Quick Reply: Waterpump pully failure while driving