Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take for a PSM Failure/Spoiler Failure to clear post battery change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long does it take for a PSM Failure/Spoiler Failure to clear post battery change?

Recently made the move from a 2005 987.1 to a 2006 997.1. Had the car inspected by Porsche prior to purchasing it. Previous owner told me that the PSM/Spoiler Failures started after he recently put a new battery in it. The Porsche tech who did the PPI also noted the faults but said that there were no error codes. I've read that these failures are common after a battery change, however, it's been going on for some time now.

The failure seems to happen when hitting a bump (I think usually at high speeds). Sometimes it's both a Spoiler Failure followed by a PSM Failure and other times it's just a PSM Failure. When the car is restarted the fault clears.

My question is, how long will this continue or is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

'PSM' light comes off after 10-15 sec as you start driving a car after full ECU reset, battery off causes that reset too.
spoiler error is a different animal, if it pops up at 73mph or whatever that speed is when spoiler has to go up it means car`s circuits do not sense that or spoiler indeed does not operate properly. test it and check codes if they show up.

it is very convinient to invest into Durametric cable with those cars to be able to check most of this stuff on your own.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
'PSM' light comes off after 10-15 sec as you start driving a car after full ECU reset, battery off causes that reset too.
The battery was changed about a month ago now. I take it the PSM light/PSM Failure message should no longer be showing up, right?

I have to go the dealer tomorrow so I'll have them take a look. However, I will look into the DM tool as I think that would be a good investment.

Thanks for the reply,
Jason
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
spoiler error is a different animal, if it pops up at 73mph or whatever that speed is when spoiler has to go up it means car`s circuits do not sense that or spoiler indeed does not operate properly. test it and check codes if they show up.
Also note, the Spoiler Failure has only ever happened in conjunction with the PSM Failure. Spoiler Failure first then PSM Failure immediately after. And it only happens when I hit a larger than normal bump.

Jason
Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoxny
The battery was changed about a month ago now. I take it the PSM light/PSM Failure message should no longer be showing up, right?

I have to go the dealer tomorrow so I'll have them take a look. However, I will look into the DM tool as I think that would be a good investment.

Thanks for the reply,
Jason
Should go out right away.

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.
f Perform adaptation of the power windows:
Please observe the chapter “STORING END
POSITION OF THE WINDOWS” on Page 29.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I mentioned this on another guys thread. I had a similar problem after I took my center console out. Turns out I hadn't pushed the plate above the oddments tray with the psm, pse and spoiler buttons back in all the way. You might try pushing on yours to see if it's loose.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattyf
I mentioned this on another guys thread. I had a similar problem after I took my center console out. Turns out I hadn't pushed the plate above the oddments tray with the psm, pse and spoiler buttons back in all the way. You might try pushing on yours to see if it's loose.
Interesting. I'm at the shop now having it looked at. This morning I hit a bump again at high speed and the light/message came on and then the car wouldn't rev over 3000 RPM. I'm guessing it went into "limp home mode." The light is now staying on even after a restart.

Jason
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

The dealer could not track it down. They are going to take the car for a few days next week unless I can get it to them when it happens again and before it clears. Will post what they find.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Fault went off again this morning. I brought it to the dealer and left the car running so that they could scan it while the fault was active. Bad PSM control unit. $3500 but should be covered under my Fidelity Platinum warranty. Glad we got to the bottom of that finally.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Fault went off again this morning. I brought it to the dealer and left the car running so that they could scan it while the fault was active. Bad PSM control unit. $3500 but should be covered under my Fidelity Platinum warranty. Glad we got to the bottom of that finally.
Good to hear! I thought faults were stored so I don't understand why the car needed to be running for the scan other than to see the failure light on.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Good to hear! I thought faults were stored so I don't understand why the car needed to be running for the scan other than to see the failure light on.
Apparently they could only see that the fault happened but not what caused it (error code?). When the car was restarted it would clear the error. So, when they scanned it while running they were able to immediately determine the cause.

Jason
Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, just wanted to add my 0.2 for the good of others. I had a PSM error that wouldn't go, even after erasing faults with Durametric, so I search through various forums which brought me here.

The error started when I changed my rear track rods. I noticed that when the track rods were changed, the front steering alignment went totally off to one side. I just changed all four tires and took the car in for balancing and alignment earlier today, as soon as the alignment was good and perfect, PSM light went off by itself.

Hope that helps someone.

K
Old 12-26-2017, 04:11 PM
java_osborn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Kaychub,

I love your tag line, and man is that the right order . I am definitely an incurable car guy, but God is number 1, and when he calls and says "The Lord has need of this", I say yes Lord. Now we have come a long way since the Donkey (on Palm Sunday), but I had to give up a Corvette a few years back, and sometimes you have to thank God for the time you had to enjoy it, and thank Him for the memories, but God is number 1.

I really like the "Incurable Lover of God!". It is a great way to express how the Ruler of All of the Universe Rules your heart!

Keep your priorities straight, thank God daily for the 911's and I always point that I when a guy at the gas station says.... him:"Wow nice Porsche" me:"I thank God for it every day, I am glad you like it too...."

God Bless,

Jeff

Quick Reply: How long does it take for a PSM Failure/Spoiler Failure to clear post battery change?